Tech Magic Behind Startups

At Devvela, we implement the boldest ideas by means of cutting-edge technology. Established in 2007, the core team has grown to over 30 people across two continents, with offices in Chicago, Tallinn and Ekaterinburg. Since then we’ve been helping:

• startups to turn awesome ideas into products when founders’ tech skills are limited;
  • brick & mortar businesses to undergo digital transformation;
  • enterprises to raise efficiency and reduce costs;
  • digital agencies to profit from the deals that require extra workforce.

We create experiences that drive your business growth. We provide digital solutions that change the whole game taking you to the top of it. Finally, we shape up your ideas the way you might haven’t imagined. All this is achieved through responsive web design and development, mobile development, eCommerce solutions and VR.

Before we tackle your dream project, we do quick but sophisticated research if needed and accurate project estimation. After we’ve started, you receive a working prototype very quickly, with the first iteration. Early product we’ve built is not only functional but also ready to be tested within the market. After it’s launched, we’re at your disposal for further improvements. Lean and Agile are more than just fancy words for us.

2007

Frameworks and CMS
Programming & scripting
Application platform
CRM functions

Among our clients, you can find a true variety of firms ranging from world famous artists (Dale Chihuly) to startups (Player’s Health) and social projects (Bunker In A Box). Not to speak of numerous digital agencies we’ve partnered with, such as Devbridge, Ethervision, Mabbly, Liquidus, and more.

Mobile App Dev for Fitness Role-Playing Platform

“Their collective experience enables them to be creative and provide complex solutions.”

Oct. 2017 - Ongoing

Using provided design sketches, Devvela developed a fitness-based mobile app for iOS. They built a unique functionality that links workout tracking technology with a real-time heart rate display.

Founder & CEO, Gaming Firm

Devvela accepted a daunting task and delivered a product that lives up to the owner’s vision. They utilized expert developers and even hired specialized resources to create an advanced technology. Their executive-level staff assumes a mentorship role and provides strategic advice.

I’m the founder and CEO of a game development company.

What challenge were you trying to address with Devvela?

I wanted to create a fitness platform that uses personal avatars, team gameplay, and in-app rewards to incentivize mobile gamers to exercise. I designed the app but needed an external firm to implement code and develop the platform.

I came to Devvela without knowing if the app should be built for iOS or Android. They researched the options and helped me make the decision. We opted to develop the game on iOS because the Apple Watch is conducive to the success of fitness apps. Another deciding factor was the existence of Apple Heath. That program facilitates iOS integration with a variety of wearable technologies.

Once the platform was finalized, Devvela began developing the application per my designs. The biggest challenge they faced was getting the tracking system to directly communicate with the Apple Watch while the app measures and displays the user’s heart rate in real-time. That functionally isn’t 100% stable at the moment, but it took a lot of innovation and hard work by their team to develop it. They implemented other gamification features like level bars, player rewards, and in-game characters that grow as you progress through a workout.

I primarily communicate with multiple project managers that lead their team of developers. I’ve also spoken to both their CEO and VP to discuss strategy.

How did you come to work with Devvela?

I used Clutch and found 3-4 candidates to interview. Devvela said their estimate was 99% accurate, whereas the other companies notified me that the project could end up costing a lot more than my budget would allow. I needed a set price and Devvela provided that, so I hired them.

The project cost $40,000–$45,000.

We started working together in Oct. 2017 and the project is ongoing.

They coded the app nearly from the ground up. We ran an alpha test several months ago and received a lot of positive feedback and constructive criticism. Devvela is currently working to make the suggested improvements. We’ll be releasing a beta version to the public within a month.

How did Devvela perform from a project management standpoint?

Devvela’s project managers oversee my account and perform their allocated responsibilities consistently. This includes organizing spreadsheets, delegating tasks to developers, making decisions regarding the length of development sprints, and making sure I send over design materials on schedule. We communicate via UberConference, Basecamp, and Slack. I’m satisfied with their availability and responsiveness, especially considering the time zone difference.

Their collective experience enables them to be creative and provide complex solutions. They genuinely want the app to succeed and are willing to accommodate my needs if necessary. For example, they interviewed and hired game-oriented developers to ensure they could deliver the best platform possible. I appreciate the mentorship and general business advice provided by both their CEO and VP.

Considering they’re based in Chicago, I was surprised to learn that most of their developers work out of Russia. The language barrier was an issue initially, but that improved over time. As with most engagements of this size, we experienced delays when development tweaks needed to be made. I also caution future clients to expect unexpected costs to arise on occasion due to design changes or technical obstacles. This is true for all development.

It saves a lot of time and money to start a project with them having used your own design services.

iOS Development for Senior Care Platform

"[T]he work they did was of high quality and it looks professional."

Oct. 2016 - May 2017

Devvela created a B2B mobile app for a senior care solution, tying it into an existing backend cloud database. They also handled modifications and extra feature builds in a second phase of development.

James Philip
Founder, Canary Care Solutions

Devvela’s involvement helped create a marketable product that is now a more tangible offering to clients, rather than just a database. They delivered on par with the scope of work and were open to change requests, however, their consistency in timing and communication can improve between projects.

I’m the founder and CEO of Canary Care Solutions LLC, a senior care software startup company. Our solution provides information in the senior space about the care and condition of elders so that the family members are aware of not only the care and conditions, but they can also take active steps in the improvement or ongoing wellness of seniors in the care of others. We are located in Chicago.

What challenge were you trying to address with Devvela?

We needed an app developed but already had a backend set up for it. I was referred to Devvela for the creation of our app and engaged them in that process. They were successful in doing so and created a useful working app of our product.

They developed the mobile app from the ground up, which ties into the backend cloud-connected and cloud-located database solution that we had already created. I reached out to Devvela with a basic verbal architecture over the phone and followed up by sending them a written document that outlined the scope of what we were trying to create. We gave them a set of requirements that they needed to meet in order to successfully interface with our backend system.

They took my fairly broad ideas at the time, which we both refined, and created the front facing component for the product on iOS. This is a B2B solution; it’s an app interface with a series of questions that pertain to a senior’s actual daily care. They tailored it to work seamlessly with our backend system.

Devvela made it flexible, per my requirements, as opposed to hard coding very specific questions. We needed the flexibility to be able to change the question lists, for example, for each senior that would be involved in this program. We did that with the help our CTO, who developed our whole database solution and went back and forth in outlining some of the requirements that we needed to have developed by Devvela in order to meet that objective.

The app was completed, launched, and approved in the app store in late December 2016. We then engaged them again for some modifications. We broadened the scope a bit and had them create some additional functionality in April 2017.

I was in contact with two of their representatives, but I assume that there were more people working on the program.

How did you come to work with Devvela?

I was referred to Devvela by a friend that had used them on a sort of website or program development — it was not an app. He spoke very highly of his experience with them and mentioned that they were not only attentive to the time frames but that they were able to clearly understand the scope. They also did his work for a very reasonable price, and the quote that struck me was, “These guys do good work and they’re reliable.”

I began to engage with them after having a couple of other conversations. I got a quote for the scope of my project — which we both agreed to — and just took off with them.

We have spent between $10,000–$20,000.

We started working together October 2016.

Their work has been fairly central to our ability to take this solution to market. Without the app interface, presenting this solution to various customers would have been just an idea. Having a demonstrable element made the rest of our elements demonstrable as well, which allowed me to go to market with this product as opposed to just having conversations.

How did Devvela perform from a project management standpoint?

Project management was fairly clear. Quite honestly, it was a little better in the first development phase than it was in the second. There weren’t any surprises or anything and it was all handled adequately, but there were two somewhat distinct levels of communication.

Overall, I would rate it as a positive experience. They were attentive to both a slightly changing scope and the original time frames we had discussed. We used Basecamp on Devvela’s elective and I found it to be absolutely fine and totally adequate — it kept all the team members informed.

In general, the work they did was of high quality and it looks professional. It’s well executed and they were certainly able to follow our scope and deliver a product that was very close, if not exactly what my vision was initially. They followed general processes, refining things back and forth and improving each version. Devvela was really responsive to all my change requests and input of how things should be improved.

If anything, I would say timing. I would’ve liked for the second phase to have been executed a bit faster. It didn’t really affect the project, and overall, they did a good job in an adequate timeframe.

Platform Development for Agency Client

“They’re very knowledgeable and they’ve helped us work through issues we weren’t sure how to solve.”

Apr. 2016 - Ongoing

Devvela developed a proof-of-concept website to help insurance salespeople connect with consumers. They offered several design options and delivered a responsive, mobile-friendly platform.

Chicago, Iillinois
Jason Steele
Project Manager, Digital Marketing Agency

Devvela’s prompt turnaround times and seamless product management made the work shine. End users gave extremely positive feedback.

I’m the project manager for a digital marketing company. We do online web content, data aggregation, and media buying for several national clients.

What challenge were you trying to address with Devvela?

We approached Devvela because we had a request that was outside of the norm of our company. We don’t really do in-house web development, so they helped us build a website for an insurance company client of ours.

The client request was to develop a website where their client’s salespeople can generate, track and secure leads. The work with Devvela was to manage client expectations and to develop a prototype based on some data points. Devvela helped create the look of the site, develop the functionality and host. They also did content management when the client had updates regarding the changing industry.

Devvela’s resources included nine people. It’s mostly one person who I deal with, but they have a project manager, two developers, and two creatives.

How did you come to work with Devvela?

They came highly recommended to us. We pitched the idea to them and we liked what they proposed. We chose them partly because of their proximity to us; they’re right down the street. We also liked their site and the clients they’ve worked with, as well as their price point. They’re very knowledgeable and they’ve helped us work through issues we weren’t sure how to solve. They came up with some really good resolutions for them.

How much have you invested with Devvela?

I think it was between $10,000 and $15,000.

The project started last April and the first phase rolled out in August. After that, they’ve been managing content through the open enrollment period, and once that slowed down in January, there wasn’t too much ongoing management. Now we’re doing a phase two rollout to make some improvements. We also just kicked off an additional website project last week.

Devvela was very responsive and very quick. There were very few changes from the client; they really liked what Devvela had done. Since this was a proof of concept, we don’t have any real metrics, but I do know that the client was extremely satisfied with them. When they came back for updates, we suggested using Devvela for the 2.0 project and they were happy to do that. The client was very happy with their response time and their issue resolution.

How did Devvela perform from a project management standpoint?

They use Basecamp, so they set me up with a login for that so we can communicate daily as needed. They’re really good at asking questions and then giving some suggestions along the way. That helps us make informed decisions with our clients. And like I said, they’re very responsive; it’s usually same-day turnaround on questions and answers.

What did you find most impressive about Devvela?

They have a competitive cost. I think they’re very easy to work with, very friendly, and very knowledgeable. Compared to the other third-party outsourcing companies that we were going to go with, Devvela just had the best credentials. When we ask them to design some concepts for a website, they give us several options. Everything they design is responsive, which is important for desktop and mobile, and I feel that they are very knowledgeable as far as what works in website design and hosting.

Are there any areas Devvela could improve?

Not really. Everything has gone extremely well.

Overall Score I don’t have any complaints. They’re great to work with.
    They come in on time or ahead of schedule.
    They’re very competitive and the value that they provide is excellent.
    They do a really good job. They’re very creative in their proposals.
    In fact, I recommended them to some friends who were looking for this kind of work.

Web Development for Electric Boat Company

"Seeing a 35% increase after one season of using Devvela's system was a good indicator of success."

2014 - Ongoing

The client needed a developer who would be able to upgrade their custom built web reservation system. Devvela was able to work on the client's system during the offseason, and is currently under contract for the second phase of development.

Caroline Winter
Manager of Operations, Chicago Electric Boat Company

The client praised Devvela for their quick response time and noted that after one season of using their system, they experienced a 35% increase in business. Devvela is highly recommended to others because of their passion and commitment to the client's success.

Our company rents electric boats on the Chicago River. They can be operated directly by clients, or by a captain. I am the vice president of the company.

What challenge were you trying to address with Devvela?

Our business grows each year, and we've increased our fleet. Given how our dock is set up, there is a limited number of boats that can go out and come in within each time slot, in order to avoid overlaps. When we first opened in 2012, we tried YouCanBook.me, which was an okay solution, since we were working with up to 4 boats at a time, but we've realized the need for a custom reservation system. After doing a lot of research for development companies, we chose one that made a very basic custom system, which didn't meet our company's needs. In-between years 2 and 3, we went on a search for a custom developer that could work with what we already had, and communicate with us in layman's terms.

Devvela has rebuilt our web reservation system. Our company runs specials, which come with a need for marketing optimization and tracking. This will be a big part of our work in the current session.

How did you come to work with Devvela?

Our president also started a tech company which helped clients source the writing of technical specs. With that help, we interviewed some companies, including Devvela, which caught our attention. They're based in Chicago, which was an improvement to our last partner. There were many occasions when I thought that face-to-face communication was necessary. We've looked at other big tech companies that could build reservation systems, but none of them could do it based on our specs.

As a small company, we also appreciated Devvela's quick response time, and we had a good initial meet-and-greet.

How much have you invested with Devvela?

The cost of our first project with Devvela was around $50,000. The second phase will cost between $15,000 and $25,000.

Devvela initially worked on our system during the off-season between 2014 and 2015. We're now working on the second phase of development, changing and rebooting aspects of our system. We maintain communication with Devvela's team even outside of our winter development runs, and they've been available for any tweaks that need to happen, getting back to us in a timely manner.

The reservation system has turned into a huge asset for our company, one in which we've invested a lot of money. We've seen a return on that money.

Seeing a 35% increase after one season of using Devvela's system was a good indicator of success. The platform has made it easier for people to make bookings online, cutting down on the calls.

How did Devvela perform from a project management standpoint?

Devvela has maintained a contact person for our project. We've worked on sprints based on our lists of requirements and their priorities. We're a small company, so money doesn't grow on trees for us. It was important for Devvela to understand that, and they have.

Devvela's principal took part in our meetings and was able to suggest functionalities that we could build (like text-message notifications) based on his experience with rental platforms. He always seemed very up-to-date with technologies and practices. He has suggested MailChimp, for instance, which was an improvement to our old system.

Devvela used Basecamp, and, as a non-technical person, I liked the ability to have that kind of communication, sharing images and so on.

What did you find most impressive about Devvela?

Devvela's principal is a great businessman. He has a passion for what he does and has built a great team, which is able to stay on the same page, while also challenging each other during meetings. Devvela has a very positive attitude.

Are there any areas Devvela could improve?

Not that I can think of. Devvela has always done what we wanted.

Web Development for Hospitality Software Company

"Devvela has attention to detail and writes code keeping in mind that other people will build on top of it later on."

July 2016 - Ongoing

The client needed to hire developers in order to help build their software platform. Devvela worked on the client's hosting dashboard and also revamped their existing user interfaces.

New York City, NY
Richie Bonilla
Product Designer, Coral Life

The client praised Devvela for their thorough coding and their attention to detail. Devvela was able to write scalable code and did good AWS [Amazon Web Services] infrastructure work. Overall, Devvela is highly recommended.

Coral is a software platform designed for short-term hospitality, hosts, and renters, allowing them to better manage their bookings and have insight into the pulse of their rental businesses.

I am a product designer of the business.

What challenge were you trying to address with Devvela?

Our biggest challenge was not being able to move fast enough in building the project we'd specked out. We only had 2 developers at the time.

Our web app has a few components. Devvela has been working on our hosting dashboard and other elements we had specified, revamping our existing user interfaces and building a foundation for our product.

How did you come to work with Devvela?

We had had poor experiences with development shops in the past. Devvela contacted us and showed examples of their previous work. Even though I was hesitant, Devvela appeared to be very professional. I gave them a trial project and planned to give Devvela the rest of it based on their performance. Devvela had good attention to detail, and I could tell that their code was scalable, instead of just being made to get the job done. Devvela thought ahead in terms of how we'd be able to build on top of the software.

How much have you invested with Devvela?

The cost of Devvela's services has been under $5,000.

We specked a couple of projects with Devvela, which although reasonable, weren't ultimately built because of budget limitations.

We started working with Devvela in July 2016. We plan to meet with them for an upcoming project, and Devvela has been continuously working on our product since we began.

My subjective impression of Devvela's code, versus what we've seen from other developers, is that it has been very thorough. Devvela has attention to detail and writes code keeping in mind that other people will build on top of it later on. I'm not as fluent in terms of backend coding, so I can't speak to it.

Devvela has also worked on our Amazon Web Services infrastructure and did a great job. We saw performance improvements immediately after launching it. Their infrastructure work has been fantastic.

How did Devvela perform from a project management standpoint?

The Devvela team members are very good communicators, from their project manager to the business developer and system administrator. Our site went down on a few occasions and there were unexpected issues. Within 5 minutes, our contact reached out on Skype and was ready to fix the problem.

What did you find most impressive about Devvela?

Devvela has provided project managers, quality assurance, and development. I've been happy with their communication, the code written, and all the other work done. We haven't had to make many revisions to the code.

Are there any areas Devvela could improve?

Devvela's budget didn't match estimates at times, but this isn't necessarily their fault. I don't consider Devvela to be an expensive company.

Overall Score Devvela is the most professional development shop I've worked with.
    Some deadlines were extended, but nothing was done unjustly. It was simply the nature of what we were working on, and Devvela communicated clearly.
    Devvela is a little more expensive than what we pay other people, but they are performing more services.
    Devvela is a team player and has provided a variety of options for us, not pressuring us into any preferred approach. Devvela has done what was right for our company. The quality is as good as I've seen.
    I would definitely recommend Devvela, as long as that didn't take too many resources from our work.

Web Development and Design for Artist Workshop

"Devvela does a good job of getting back to you quickly."

Devvela enhanced the functionalities and visual designs of the workshop's website by integrating it through MailChimp that allows the users to utilize mail services and connecting the site to the social media platform.

Seattle Metro Area
Graphic Designer, Artist Workshop

By switching to mobile the bounce rate decreased, and the users are now close to 50/50 from the previous 70 percent on the desktop and 30 percent on mobile after the redesign. Although there was a slight challenge due to time zone difference, overall, Devvela did a great job by being responsive.

We're an artist workshop. We sell merchandise for a famous artist. We make all of his merchandise, such as prints, glass, apparel, printed goods, and publications. We used Devvela to help us develop our website and make changes to it.

I'm a graphic designer. I handle a lot of the website changes and updates.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Devvela?

I started working here a couple of years ago, and they had already built the website. I think that's how we got in contact with Devvela. I've been working with them ever since I've been here, but I wasn't at the company when they first built the site. Since I've been working here, we've been doing updates.

One of our goals is that we wanted to add ways that the user could sign up for email lists through MailChimp, so connecting our site to MailChimp was a big thing. We also did a mobile-responsive redesign. That was a big project that we conducted in the middle of the year. We're always looking for ways to increase our flow to social media. They were able to add icons and buttons to our site strategically, as well as the footer and header, adding pages, doing updates, and handling other small fixes.

It depends on how many changes we ask for. The month we did a big redesign, we spent $20,000. When we're only doing basic changes as we go, then it's a couple thousand per month.

I believe they started in 2012. I'm not sure how long it took, but we are currently working with them on those side projects that I mentioned.

I don't have the exact numbers in front of me but, before we did the mobile-friendly site, we had around 70 percent of our users who were on desktop and 30 percent on tablet and phone. After the redesign, it's closer to 50/50. Our bounce rate also went down by a lot when we switched to mobile.

What distinguishes Devvela from other providers?

Devvela does a good job of getting back to you quickly. Some agencies are hard to get a hold of. I like how all the work is managed through Basecamp and online transactions. I personally don't like to call anyone, so I like that.

Is there anything Devvela could have improved or done differently?

There have been times where we've made changes, and they came back to do some other work, like for example when we introduced the mobile site, and some of the changes that we did before were gone. They saved over their work. Also, because they are in a different time zone, some of the changes might not be done until later in the day, but it's not that big of a problem. I guess it might be an issue if you need to get something done right away.

They deliver good value on their work.
    I'm pretty satisfied overall except for the fact that some of their work seems to be erased at times.

Front End App Development for Sports Injury Tracking Startup

"It gave me a certain peace of mind, knowing that things were going to get done."

June - Aug. 2015

Devvela developed the entire infrastructure of the company's web application into a hybrid system compatible with both iOS and Andriod platforms. They also built features from health records.

Tyrre Burks
CEO, Player's Health

Player's Health enjoyed the fact that Devvela understood what the project was trying to accomplish on a fundamental level and was genuinely interested in seeing it succeed. They took care of the project with excellent speed, quality, and communication.

Our company is an electronic medical record for athletes called Player's Health. We have a record that includes current medical conditions and previous injuries of young athletes, specifically 6 to 17 years of age. There are 35 million athletes, the majority of whom play more than one sport. Our record is completely portable. It can be shared by the parent and managed by the organization to track all injuries by the incident that happened.

I am the CEO of the company

What business challenge were you trying to address with Devvela?

We had already created a prototype. We had roughly 21,000 users on our application via this prototype we had built. Literally, we had six weeks to get from a prototype to a fully developed product. It was a web app, and we went with a hybrid model. They built it into our system, along with our web application, we had a hybrid model built into Cordova. We launched a hybrid web interface, which had iOS and Android. We had a native framework wrapped in a web application.

They had to build our entire infrastructure. How our system works is there's a huge on-boarding component where custom landing pages are created for organizations. Then they had to build features from our health records and complete analytics dashboards that tracked injuries within that organization in time. Then, there are four or five key users. There's an association administration.

A few of our clients are huge national governing bodies like USA Football and USA Hockey. They have an interface where they can track injuries down to the ZIP code. Then, there are club organizations that are soccer clubs that have 15 teams with them, and they want to track the injuries for the thousand athletes that they manage. We build a top-down approach from an NGB [national governing body] to a club, to a coach, and to a parent.

You can now track information from the national level all the way down to a specific individual. Now, the parent has this individualized profile that they can share with every organization that their kid plays for. They've built the front end for that. We actually had our own backend guys that we worked with, but the entire front end they built.

How did you come to work with Devvela?

We were actually considering a few other firms, a development shop in India, another shop, and a couple of freelancers. My reasoning for going with Devvela was mainly that they were fascinated with our idea, with the concept, and with the amount of traction that we had based on our prototype.

I had a clear understanding for exactly what we wanted to built, so they knew going in that the scope of the project was not going to fluctuate as it normally does with most startups. I think their understanding of our problem and the solution we were building was spot on. I knew that within a short amount of time, their understanding of the complexity of our application and speed to market was important. The fact that they understood everything was great. I think they also had a clear understanding, and they were really motivated to see it come to fruition because they liked what we were doing.

The project was roughly six or seven weeks. We're just finishing the project now [August 2015]. We started in the first or second week of June 2015. I came to them at the end of May. We reached a decision in two weeks, came in and started working.

Could you share any general feedback from this engagement?

Honestly, they were probably the best software developers I've ever dealt with. I've been in tech, building technology for three and a half years now, and I've built a few applications before this. In terms of speed, quality, and communication, they took responsibility for the project, which is what most organizations don't do, and they weren't scared about it either.

What distinguishes Devvela from other providers?

Devvela owned the deadline, and they owned the scope. I think that's the biggest differentiator they have from any other development shop. They weren't afraid to say, "We are going to put this on contract, we are going to hit this deadline, and we are going to do X and X." It gave me a certain peace of mind, knowing that things were going to get done. They didn't wait for me to tell them certain things. They were super proactive. They were thinking about things that I wasn't thinking about, making sure we have them in place, without saying it wasn't in the scope. They would tell us about things that we'd need to do.

They were true advisors as we went through this. I didn't just tell them what to build, they built it and that was it. They didn't draw the line at that. Their philosophy was, "Here is a product that has our brand on it. We want to make sure that it's the best thing that it could be."

Is there anything Devvela could have improved or done differently?

Initially, when we started setting up the infrastructure, they had a way in which they wanted to set up our infrastructure, and we had a different way of doing that. I know they normally have their particular process around whether they want to go with GitHub or Gitflow, or whatever it the case may be. But, communicating that to a client from day one, talking about how they want to set that infrastructure up, would be helpful. Outside of that, there's nothing I could say. I'll sing their praises forever.

I was really hands on with communication and setting up daily standing calls, so I own that and I held them accountable to that...but they were open and flexible to what I wanted in terms of communication.