Hacksmith Labs - Mobile/Web/Backend

We prefer to establish real relationships with our clients—rather than fleeting transactions—and take as much time as is needed to explain our development processes. We have all the resources and scale of a large agency, but move at startup speed—a must for many of our large, globally competitive clients who have to get to market quickly.

Chicago, IL

NoIP

LISNR

Solo Funds

Shopify Development for Charity Promotion Retailer

“I love these guys. They’re easy to work with.”

July 2017 - Ongoing

Hacksmith Labs built out a Shopify-driven e-commerce platform and implemented related systems (e.g., vehicle tracking, applicant approval) to expedite processes. They now provide ongoing maintenance.

Jonny Imerman
Co-Founder, CLOZTALK

Hacksmith Labs’ creativity, amiability, efficiency, and responsiveness has made this ongoing partnership a success. Their genuine desire to ensure customer success—as well as third-party customer success—stands them in good stead for continued engagement.

I’m the co-founder of CLOZTALK. We create web stores of cool swag and apparel specifically for charities and nonprofits. They give us their logos, then we create apparel designs for them to sell on our website. We do it all and share the profit with them. So far, we’ve partnered with 50 charities and hope to get hundreds and eventually thousands.

What challenge were you trying to address with Hacksmith Labs?

My partners and I aren’t particularly tech-savvy, so we needed someone to develop an e-commerce website for us.

Hacksmith Labs built the backbone of our e-commerce operations—notably, the site itself on Shopify, and utilizing ShipStation as well. As ours is not a “regular” e-commerce store, they built it to scale with that in mind. For example, we use a 30-foot-long truck as as mobile branding and a mobile DJ at charity events. As a result, Hacksmith Labs had to find a truck-tracking company that was able to track where the truck is. You can go to our website and find where our truck is at any time.

On the more “traditional” side of e-commerce, they developed an intake form where every charity can upload their logo and contact information, and create an info card about their organization. We then decide whether to accept the organization. Hacksmith Labs thought it would be easier to streamline this if we did it digitally. We then add the info card on to every sale because we want people to understand the charity’s mission; get bullet points and contact information about them; and find out about their base, reach, and online presence.

Now, they’re providing ongoing maintenance and implementing updates as needed.

Thomas (Co-founder, Hacksmith Labs) is my main point of contact. Sean (Partner, Hacksmith Labs) is great, too. I know them both well.

How did you come to work with Hacksmith Labs?

I’m a cancer survivor from my 20s and had just given a speech to a cancer-related organization. Thomas and Sean came up to me and wanted to learn more. I was so impressed by their friendliness and their personality that over the course of several years, we kept in touch. When we started CLOZTALK, they’re the ones I reached out to. I ran the concepts by them and they were ready to help build it.

We’ve spent $20,000 thus far.

We started working together in July 2017 and the site launched in December 2017. They continue to work with us.

I love these guys. They’re easy to work with. Every time we get a new charity, they are on it that day; we’ve had no delays. Their responsiveness and customer service has been five-star the whole time.

How did Hacksmith Labs perform from a project management standpoint?

They work with us to make sure their estimates match our expectations. We set a cap together for if a project goes over a certain amount, we stop and talk about it. They are honest and straightforward with everything, so there are no surprises. They also taught us how to use Slack and Trello to help us manage the project more effectively.

They have great energy, are always upbeat, and are unbelievably responsive. We try to respect everyone’s time, but they make themselves available seven days a week.

Their customer service distinguishes them. Plus, they really get behind what we’re doing for these charities. They want us to succeed because the more we do, all the better for the charities, their brands, and their impact. They’re a really good match for us.

No. They’re far more mature than I was at their age. They run their own business and get it done. There is no down side to working with them.

They’re using to working with Slack and Trello, so if you’re unfamiliar with those tools, I’d try to get somewhat comfortable with them ahead of time. You’ll be more effective if you do.

Overall Score They’re really great.
    They were very reasonable. In fact, they could’ve charged us more.
    I’d refer them to anybody.