Power Humanity with AI

We are a world-class AI company with core competency in deep-learning and computer vision. We provide full-stack solutions to our customers and have achieved leading positions in smart city and retail industries.

Glendale, CA
  • 500 N Brand Blvd. Suite 2000
    Glendale, CA 91203

Welocalize - Leading Data Provider, KPIT - Leading German Automotive Company, Scylla - World's best gun detection system
Leading Automotive Provider Image

Leading Automotive Provider

KPIT is a global technology company with software solutions that will help mobility leapfrog towards autonomous, clean, smart and connected future.

Scylla - World's best gun detection system Image

Scylla - World's best gun detection system

Scylla is the world’s best Gun Detection System. Scylla monitors real-time video streams to predict violent behavior and identify acts of violence. Artificial intelligence, computer vision, and machine learning are used to identify, analyze and respond to threats quickly and accurately. We help response teams take immediate actions to reduce the

number of victims from violent crime, active shooting events, and terrorist acts. We intend to revolutionize the security and surveillance industry.
Welocalize - Transform Your Content and Data Image

Welocalize - Transform Your Content and Data

Welocalize helps you transform your content and data so that you can rapidly reach, grow, and engage with global audiences.

Outsourced Dev for Sports Marketing Platform

"I can definitely say that the quality of work was very good."

Jan. - Apr. 2016

Confronted with limited in-house resources, an e-commerce startup outsourced a portion of their development work to Develandoo. They provided support on the backend and frontend of their various platforms.

Switzerland
William Harris
Former CTO, Unleash 12

They accomplished a lot of work and followed best practices for Agile development. They also made sure to address any issues and were open to feedback. Although they could have been more communicative about their progress, they still managed to be timely and efficient.

Unleash 12 was a small startup based out of Lucerne and Zurich in Switzerland. As a startup, our goal was to provide a platform for soccer clubs in Europe to connect both their sponsors and their fans in a commercially viable way. It was essentially like a Groupon-style platform where the sponsors of the soccer clubs would be providing products to the fans of the football club. Our role as the middle man was to bring all the various parties together and provide an e-commerce platform that allowed the sponsors to sell their products, to promote the clothing, and the particular soccer club in question.

I was the CTO. I was responsible for the development work that was being done at the company.

What challenge were you trying to address with Develandoo?

We had limited resources. A lot of our development work was done with outsourcing teams. We had been working with an outsourcing partner in Ukraine but were having some quality issues and the relationship had not gone particularly smoothly. We were looking for a strong, reliable partner who was able to meet our quality requirements and was able to provide us with the kind of service that we expected from an outsourcing partner.

Our platform was based on Python and Django. We were looking for a smaller team of about four people who would be able to do both frontend and backend development, as well as help us maintain the platform. It wasn’t just a single platform; there were a lot of different platforms since we had contracts with various different clubs, for example, Real Madrid in Spain, PSV Eindhoven in Holland, S.L. Benfica in Portugal, and Mario Götze as a player website in Germany. Each of these platforms had different requirements; they all had a slightly different look and feel and slightly different functionality. We also had the constant need to be able to update the platform to meet the needs of the individual marketing campaigns that we were running.

What we were looking for specifically from Develandoo was a team that was able to deliver high-quality results in a very short amount of time. I was the day-to-day manager of the team and it was based on time and materials. We were able to run our Agile development process with them directly, while they had the overhead of an onsite team. They had their own laptops, their own computers, and their own facilities where they would actually be doing the work. We were able to collaborate with them as if they were essentially a dedicated team for us. They could meet our requirements for quality and professionalism and were able to deliver what they had promised on time and per specifications.

They did things I would expect an Agile team to be able to do, but with the added advantage of being able to interact with them on a regular basis. We had our chat channels set up for the developers, so we were in contact all day every day. They were an outsourced bodily team that was able to provide the high-quality services that we were looking for.

How did you come to work with Develandoo?

One of our marketing team members was at a marketing conference in Ireland and ran into Albert Stepanyan, the CEO of Develandoo. He mentioned that we were having problems with an existing team, and Albert said that his own company could be a solution for us.

The teams which we were working with were in Armenia, and there’s a three hour time difference between central Europe and Yerevan, where their team is actually located. Develandoo provides a local manager who, in this case, was working out of Munich and was able to be a liaison between me and the team outsourced in Yerevan. It wasn’t necessarily something which we needed because we have the technical expertise to be able to oversee the process ourselves, but it was nice to have somebody who would be participating in the process. He was present in all of our regular meetings, on our daily calls, our specification sessions, etc. He was able to ensure that the team in Yerevan understood what was required of them and deal with any potential language issues or problems which arose.

Every once in a while, there would be something that I wasn’t 100% happy with, and I was able to address that issue with the manager on site rather than having to go through various hierarchy levels. There was somebody specifically designated as our point of contact for any kind of administrative or operational issues.

The manager, together with Albert, came to meet us in Zurich and sat down with us and discussed the goals of the project. We tackled what we needed from them, the scope of work that we would be looking for, and what kind of resources we would need. With that, they were able to provide an estimate of what the monthly cost would be. Once we had agreed on the financial part of it, we were able to ask them to do some sample work. I provided them with a project that was a mini-implementation of something which had some kind of relevance to our platform. They took that on board and had their senior individual work on it and give us the results. Based on the results, I knew that I would be happy working with them and was confident that they had the level of engineering expertise, experience, and attention to detail that I was looking for.

How much have you invested with Develandoo?

Over the four months, we spent around $50,000.

We started working with them in January, but unfortunately, the company went out of business in April.

Unfortunately, I don’t have any metrics because the company shut down. I can definitely say that the quality of work was very good. We had two frontend developers and two backend developers working on the team. We were able to tackle a lot of work and every single ticket was written with unit tests and with integration tests. With every single implementation, we had to make sure that there were no regressions, that nothing was broken, and that we were able to deploy it essentially immediately once the iteration was over.

Their approach to software engineering and web development in terms of following best practices with regards to Agile development, including all the stuff which you would typically associate with dev ops including continuous integration, unit testing, integration testing, and continuous deployment, ran very smoothly. They were absolutely able to work within that framework.

How did Develandoo perform from a project management standpoint?

Our main platform for collaboration was JIRA. We also communicated via Slack for our day-to-day communication. The nice thing about Develandoo’s approach is that they have someone who is your technical account manager. He’s not just someone who is responsible for sending you the bills but is also responsible for the smooth running of the team. There was also access to the CTO, who would take care of conceptual architectural work had that not been something which we were able to take care of ourselves. Those resources were always present and available in case we needed them.

A couple of times, the process didn’t go as smoothly, probably because I wasn’t clear on who had the responsibility for a certain task. Their model is that they have a person on the ground who is essentially responsible for taking the requirements from the clients and then translating that for the team. I took on some of that role, but when I did have any concerns, I would go to him and he would report back to the team about anything I needed. That was not hands-on enough for me. As soon as I brought that to their attention, they worked with me to address my concern. There was always a good level of responsiveness. They were open to receiving feedback and making sure to alleviate any issues.

What did you find most impressive about Develandoo?

It’s the fact that they have someone local. They don’t just send the account manager, and when it actually comes down to the implementation, you have to see how you can communicate with them on your own. They have someone who is there, who is able to travel and meet with you, even if the team is far away. This set up allows the whole process to run more smoothly and enables them to be more responsive to their customer's requirements.

Are there any areas Develandoo could improve?

Everyone can always be better. They had two developers who were very strong and two who were less strong. You always hope to only have the strongest developers, but that’s not realistic. One thing they could have done better was to be more proactive in communicating the progress of the work. Although they have a local representative who's meant to address any issues and ensure the process is running smoothly, I sometimes felt that I as a client had to do too much of ensuring that the process was going smoothly. I had to ask about testing and make sure they had thought of everything. I had been expecting more of that from Develandoo, but, by and large, that was a minor quibble.

Overall Score They did a very good job. There’s not much I would change. I was able to address any minor problems with them in a timely and efficient manner. But, yet again, it wasn’t perfect.
    There were absolutely no problems with schedules. They worked very hard, and I don’t think that there was anything that they could have done better in this respect.
    It can always be cheaper but they speak very good English and they are relatively close to us in terms of time zones. A company out in Vietnam or Laos or something like that would have even cheaper developers. They have an extremely good value for money.
    There’s still room for improvement but they’re operating on a very high level. A four and a half would be for a much larger organization on a different level. They’re a small operation, which is great.
    I would recommend them without reservation except that they have to make an effort in making sure that the people who are going to work with you are solid. However, it’s not always possible to have brilliant developers.

Dev Support for Localization Services Provider

"They make good decisions, they're good with stakeholders, and they do good work."

Mar. 2015 - Ongoing

Develandoo works on various research and dev projects for a localization services provider. In one case, they assisted with the Python development and maintenance of a pilot platform for a software company.

1,001-5,000 Employees

Frederick, Maryland
Douglas Knoll
VP of Software Development, WeLocalize

Develandoo has delivered code on par with the client's standards. They work directly with stakeholders, who have given positive feedback on the collaboration. Overall, Develandoo's strong judgment and hands-on approach easily allows the client to delegate tasks, and rely on them to produce quality work.

I am VP of software development at WeLocalize. We are primarily a localization services provider, but we also do other kinds of content transformation tasks across a global supply chain. My teams mainly build infrastructure, workflow systems, talent management systems, and data science around moving tasks out to about a 150-country global supply chain, analyzing risk and putting the right person on the right task.

What challenge were you trying to address with Develandoo?

Develandoo did a couple of things for us. One was helping us with flexible capacity. Because I've had such a good working relationship with Albert [Founder, Develandoo] over the years, I trust Develandoo to do serious research and development work. It’s great to be able to launch a project, and then pass it on to Develandoo. They put really good talent on it, talent who I trust just as much as onshore resources. Anything we can compartmentalize to the point where it’s easy to hand off, I trust Develandoo to do it.

The other thing we hire Develandoo for is help with hard maintenance problems, the kinds of challenges we’re going through when there’s change, or we’re deprecating a product. Maybe we need someone to shepherd it through those parts of the life cycle where it's hard to recruit someone to get excited about it. Develandoo can put solid, capable people on it, take care of the resource management problem associated with that, and make sure it gets done well.

Develandoo has helped us with a few projects. One of them involves the ongoing life cycle of a project. We originally built it as a pilot in service of one of the world’s largest software companies. The purpose of this pilot was to use data science to identify tasks that are at risk of failure, such as being late or having quality issues. That involved ETL-ing [extract, transform, load] an incredible amount of data from different legacy silo systems and joining it all together. The project works very intricate, nit-picky, detail-oriented data management stuff. They then applied some machine learning models to that data to pull out risk cohorts. Then, provide reporting to a quality management team who’s then doing day-to-day interventions to help that supply chain and that resource pool do better at their jobs. That project started out with an onshore team in the United States. Over time it needed help from Develandoo, specifically some senior level Python development help to work with both the stakeholders in proving that system and keeping it going forward and then maintaining that system over time. After the pilot, it ended up being a production system. They continue to maintain that today.

The second thing is that Develandoo has just started getting involved in doing some research and development for us on our new platform. With that project, we’re using senior JavaScript talent, and they’re going to help us build components that relate to managing the workflows that are part of our core business. For the third project, Develandoo is going to take on some maintenance and support around one of our legacy project accounting platforms. It’s a .NET platform, a fiddly legacy system that’s risky to meddle with. Nevertheless, I trust that Develandoo will be able to help keep that supported, handle burning issues, and make production fixes. Develandoo also did another .NET project for us, a new quality model to one of our language quality management systems.

How did you come to work with Develandoo?

I’ve known Albert since about 2009. He worked with me at Learning Objects, so I knew that he was a solid technologist and a good technology project manager. When he got involved with Develandoo and started building out, it really gave me peace of mind to know that if Albert is vetting these engineers and saying they’re good, and he’s helping to address any issues, then I'm confident that things were going to work out well.

We started working together around March 2015, and our work together is ongoing.

I use Develandoo as collaborators in larger effort initiatives; I view them as an extension of our team, so it’s hard to pick out metrics that directly impact on their work. I’m a former developer, so I'm a little skeptical of measuring code quality in any way except code reviews, peer reviews, and the code’s acceptability to the wider group and the architect. From that sense, it’s a little bit binary for me: The work is either good enough, or it’s not good enough. We’re not going to spend a lot of time reworking or training anyone. We expect people to hit the ground running and produce code that’s as good as what our team produces. That’s what I've gotten from Develandoo.

How did Develandoo perform from a project management standpoint?

Develandoo has done really well from a project management standpoint. The way I measure that is through escalation. How often do I have to do anything? Almost never. Develandoo works directly with stakeholders inside our business, just as a product manager on my team might work. They have been well received by the stakeholders whose feedback to me is that Develandoo is responsive, they solve issues, and they address requirements. The system is on autopilot. I spend almost no energy dealing with any escalations related to Develandoo’s work. The relationships are intra-team. Our product managers and our developers work with them, and they use a variety of tools. We use Slack, Git, and other standard tools.

What did you find most impressive about Develandoo?

I trust Albert’s judgment, which allows me to delegate the decision making. I don't have to second-guess or deeply interview the candidates because he finds good workers. There’s less churn. We’ve found that the people Develandoo puts on projects fit right in with the team. They’re high performers, and it’s low stress. Also, they’re good with stakeholders. Even when we’re working with the different time zones, they’re still a big help. We don't have to buffer them as we might with other teams.

Are there any areas Develandoo could improve?

No. I’m super happy with Develandoo.

Overall Score For me, Albert is almost like one of the managers on our team, where you can give them problems and they solve them. That’s all I need.
    Develandoo is not working in a deadline-driven environment, for the most part, so that question is almost not applicable.
    Develandoo’s quality is equivalent to what I'm getting from onshore resources, and I'm paying less than that, so I'm pretty happy with them.
    Develandoo is plug and play. I don't have to spend much energy training them or ramping them up. They make good decisions, they’re good with stakeholders, and they do good work.

App Dev Support for E-commerce Platform

"The team had to be responsive in terms of time and quality, which they are able to do."

Dec. 2016 - Ongoing

Develandoo provides ongoing development support to an e-commerce platform, creating design, performance, and security solutions to make their apps' user experiences simple and creative.

Mexico City, Mexico
Project Manager, Kichink

The CEO had very high expectations for any of their outsourced developers, and since onboarding Develandoo, their team has met these high standards. They've delivered projects on time, within budget, and via an organized project management process.

Kichink is an e-commerce platform with a diverse interest in mobile applications. One application, called Kash, is connected to our site. It is a mobile management platform for pre-paid cards and provides an extra level of security. I joined Kichink in December 2016. I’m currently the project manager for such applications in which Develandoo has been assisting us.

What challenge were you trying to address with Develandoo?

We needed a development team who could meet the expectations of our CEO, Claudio del Conde. He has high standards for user-friendly and creative solutions in mobile applications.

For some applications, they are in charge of the backend and frontend development. They have even provided design, performance, and security solutions that have made our applications better and easier to use.

How did you come to work with Develandoo?

Claudio found them. He described them as a team that would be able to fulfill his expectations. They could provide the proper attention to detail and wouldn’t need constant supervision to meet the required standards. Since working with them, I can attest this is 100% true.

We have ongoing projects and some that have been completed to our satisfaction.

We have new builds changes set up every week, as well as due dates for modules. Generally, we use Trello and JIRA to track progress. Every build not only comes on the scheduled date but comes with a clear explanation of what has been added and how it works according to the requirement.

How did Develandoo perform from a project management standpoint?

Perfect. They follow a Scrum methodology. However, they are open to any new standard or guide like PMI-PMP, using any platform provided. The team had to be responsive in terms of time and quality, which they are able to do, much to our satisfaction.

What did you find most impressive about Develandoo?

They adapt to our schedule even though we are physically on opposite ends of the world. They still meet us at appropriate times, and output delivery also arrives at our time.

Are there any areas Develandoo could improve?

From my point of view, I haven't found any area they could improve—outside of the possibility for them to grow and add professional designers to the team who can give clients more aesthetic solutions. But then again, that could be a bit of a reach, given they are focused on technology.

AI Analytics for Image Interpretation Startup

"We are seeing good team interaction and creative solutions."

Feb. 2019 - Ongoing

Develandoo provided AI analytics and computer development for an image interpretation company.

CEO, Informatics Company

Develandoo builds creative solutions and has a collaborative workflow with the client. Their team is professional and dedicated.

Founder of a informatics company focused image interpretations

For what projects/services did your company hire Develandoo?

Computer vision and AI analytics

image categorization and analysis

Word of mouth

Image analysis and classification

Three people

We are seeing good team interaction and creative solutions.

Good collaboration between the teams

Their dedication, their professionalism, and their attention to details

Overall Score excellent
    efficient
    Reasonable
    very good work
    very likely

Development of Consumer Risk AI Engine

"Develandoo excelled in collaboration and communication."

Develandoo was responsible for developing an AI solution, working on the front- and backend. The team also provided design services and built the company website.

Amsterdam
Martijn Imrich
CEO , Protogen AI

Develandoo built a high-quality solutions product in a cost-effective and timely manner. They felt like a true partner, working collaboratively. Their skilled team excels at communication, building innovative work.

I am the CEO of Protogen AI, an extremely fast and accurate AI engine on Consumer Credit Risk assessment. Protogen replaces the old rule-based engines that now reside in many banks and financial institutions.

For what projects/services did your company hire Develandoo?

Develandoo was instrumental in developing the AI Engine. They brought forward an experienced lead Data Scientist and a complete engineering team behind him. Develandoo delivered the complete AI solution, from the web-based frontend to complex data handling at the back-end. As an extra service, they provided the design and build of the corporate Protogen website.

The AI solution should be above average so:

•  Be faster and more accurate than most home-brew engines at banks
  • Proof these capabilities on an open dataset on Credit Risk as provided by Kaggle
  • Have extreme capabilities to overcome data quality issues, like advanced imputation mechanism
  • Have rich graphics for model understandability

I wanted a vendor that could provide an experienced team with a proven solution track record. And I wanted a near-Europe vendor with presence in markets with high-quality standards like Germany. Out of a shortlist of 5 vendors, Develandoo was selected. The personal involvement of the Devalandoo CEO, Albert Stepanyan, was instrumental in understanding how dedicated Develandoo was in understanding and delivering customer success.

• Design of the Protogen AI engine.
  • Building, training and testing the AI core engine.
  • Bringing forward all Develandoo experience on ML and Software Engineering.
  • Hosting the Protogen AI engine.
  • Design and build of the corporate Protogen website.
  • Demo and sales support to prospects of Protogen.

Protogen AI engine:

• Lead Data Scientist
  •  UX designer for frontend
  • Team of ML Engineers to build, test and integrate.

Protogen website:

•  UX designer
  • Website developer

Without Develandoo, it wouldn't have been possible to build the Protogen AI engine in a cost-effective way to such high-quality standards. All the way they felt more like a partner than a supplier, which to me is the only way you can develop truly innovative solutions.

Develandoo excelled in collaboration and communication. Although their main AI engineering team resides in Armenia, it felt like close cooperation with no barriers.

• Develandoo knows how to deliver, due to a highly qualified and experienced team.
  • Communication and collaboration skills are above all standards known to me.

There is hardly any area for improvement that I could think of.

Overall Score Happy to work with them and will continue to do so
    Very competitive for a near-EU supplier
    Above all standards known to me
    I already did refer, so 100% likely