We stay in touch. No excuses.

We are a Russian Design and Web development agency. Our history have started in 2003 and since then, we've worked on over 270 projects.

We specialize in building websites in Wordpress and Magento systems as well as building ones from scratch using Yii and Zend frameworks.  We prefer building long-term relationships and always focus on on-time and on-point communications with our partners.

2003

The Crichton Group

SITA

AAA State of Play

Web Dev & Design for Museum History Program

“The site is designed really well—it’s easy to navigate and the content is clear.”

June 2017 - Jan. 2018

DesignRussia redeveloped a website using a LAMP stack alongside a custom theme. Working on the site’s design and content, they ensured it was SEO and mobile optimized, while integrating a range of Plug-ins.

Senior Product Manager, Museum History Program

The completed site more than met expectations and was widely praised within the organization after its launch. The team was excellent throughout the project and continues to provide maintenance support. They were attentive, accommodating, and ensured all work was completed to the highest standard.

The Urban Advantage Program (UA) is a partnership between eight of New York City’s leading cultural institutions and the New York City Department of Education to support effective science instruction in the city’s middle schools. Urban Advantage partnerships give students opportunities to conduct hands-on investigations that engage them in science as a way of thinking, investigating and communicating, rather than simply as a body of knowledge.

As the Sr. Product Manager (Education) at the American Museum of Natural History (lead UA partner), my role is to help the department source, develop, and maintain the right technology platforms to enable us deliver exceptional program offerings.

What challenge were you trying to address with DesignRussia?

The public website for UA required a major overhaul. Since we were resource constrained, we decided to offshore the development of the new site via the Upworks platform. We needed a new website with a fresh design that was modern, scalable, SEO optimized, and mobile friendly.

As a precursor to developing a new custom theme, Design Russia helped us with branding. The outcome of that phase was a set of digital assets and guidelines which informed the website design as well as other program media.

The website itself was developed using WordPress and hosted on WP Engine. It’s a typical LAMP [Linux, Apache, mySQL, PHP] stack with a custom theme that was built for us. There are plug-ins for embedded video, social media integration, and Google Analytics as well as custom plug-ins.

We dealt primarily with the project manager. They had multiple resources on the project, including at least two developers and two frontend designers, though I didn’t deal with any of them directly.

How did you come to work with DesignRussia?

When looking for the right website developer, we decided to look at a global talent pool via the Upwork platform to take advantage of resources with a broader background and lower cost. We found DesignRussia on the Upwork platform and selected them from a pool of 8-10 potential vendors due to their ability to articulate our shared vision and add value to the project. After doing a preliminary analysis of our old website (before we even signed the contract), it was DesignRussia that recommended that we first go through a branding exercise to formalize our brand identity.

One of our requirements was for a developer who had experience building education focused websites. DesignRussia had that. Alex [ Co-founder, DesignRussia] was extremely passionate about education because he was formerly a teacher himself. That perspective and passion was extremely important and useful.

Their thoughtful and comprehensive approach to the entire project blew us away and selecting them as the vendor was a no-brainer. The fact that they could complete the project for an extremely competitive price was icing on the cake.

$20,000–$25,000.

We started working together in June 2017 until January 2018. We’ve now engaged for ongoing maintenance work.

All the feedback we’ve received on the new site have been positive. It is a significant overhaul from our previous site and we’re very pleased. The site is designed well, easy to navigate, and mobile friendly.

We did not find any bugs after going live but have made further tweaks based on recommendations from users. DesignRussia was amazing at meeting these needs as well.

How did DesignRussia perform from a project management standpoint?

Of all the developers that we interviewed for this project, they were the ones who gave a realistic timeframe that gave adequate time to ensure that the quality of the product would be superb. We had clear phases for requirement gathering, UI/wireframe design, coding, etc. They were always on top of their game. We were late to launch, but that was because we weren’t able to provide adequate feedback on the design. They were extremely understanding and flexible with us despite the fact we were constantly delayed in providing them with what they needed. They worked with us to make sure everything was right.

The project manager, Maria [Director HR, DesignRussia] was absolutely superb in her job. Even when we made recommendations, she’d provide her expert opinion about if something wasn’t going to look right, and how to improve it. Whenever we were willing to cut corners, she was not willing to because she wanted the end result to really reflect a high quality of work.

They’re extremely reliable, friendly, and easy to deal with, as well as being thorough in their work. They have high standard and quality to their work. We had no concerns or problems throughout the course of this project. Their customer service is also absolutely amazing. The working relationship has been so good that we have now engaged them for ongoing maintenance work as well. They’ve been fantastic.

A project of our scale is easier if the timeline to go live is realistic. It’s also a lot easier if clients have a good understanding of what they want as the end product. You also have to be flexible to trust the expertise of the agency that you’re hiring. All those things work together to have a really good end product that everyone can be proud of.

The value for the amount of money you’re spending is absolutely amazing.
    I would definitely recommend them.

Web Development for Global IT Provider

"They’re one of the best partners I’ve ever worked with."

DesignRussia created a Russian-language website to target local air transport markets, mirroring global design and functionality for a cohesive brand image. Tasks included development, design, and deployment.

1,001-5,000 Employees

Moscow, Russia
Russian Regional Marketing Manager, SITA

After the site’s launch, visitors reported only positive feedback due to its attractive design and clear content. DesignRussia’s constant accessibility, international reach, and outstanding English proficiency ensured an enjoyable collaboration.

SITA has been a leading IT provider in the air transport industry since 1949. We’re a global company with headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland and Atlanta, Georgia.

What challenge were you trying to address with DesignRussia?

We have our global website, sita.aero, but we wanted to organize our Russian website. We were also looking for a loyal partner in Russia. It was quite challenging to find a proper provider that could meet all our requirements, and DesignRussia was the best option we found.

DesignRussia had to meet our global requirements, ensuring that the Russian website was a mirror of our global website. Both had the same design and content. All tasks I asked of them were implemented on time. I know that they used modern technologies. Even our technical team was happy while working with them, saying to me that with partners in other countries, the situation is worse.

I had an account manager from DesignRussia with whom I communicated all the time. I also had direct contact with a designer. Their director was always available when I needed him.

How did you come to work with DesignRussia?

My boss and mentor in Geneva was looking for a partner from Geneva. I think she Googled them. This means a lot because if she could find DesignRussia online in Geneva, that means they have a really good sale. We had them on a shortlist, and then she came here to Moscow. We had several meetings with local agencies, and DesignRussia seemed like the best. Even though they're not in Moscow, their manager came here since they’re nearby.

How much have you invested with DesignRussia?

One of our priorities was the price. We couldn't afford an expensive company due to budget constraints. Their price was average: it wasn't the cheapest, but it's not the highest.

We started to work with DesignRussia in 2013. They were very fast. I just gave them the task, and within a week (or less) they implemented everything. Actually, they had to hurry up because I was delayed because of business trips; they had to remind me of things. Without them, I wouldn't have been as successful with this project.

Our policy changed, and we had to stop our cooperation with DesignRussia. We now must have all the regional websites on the global one, so we had to finish our contract and move back to the global site. If we continued working with them, we’d ask for some internet marketing, sale campaigns, and social media campaigns, which I know they provide.

When we started working with DesignRussia, we had some calls with customers, who gave us only good feedback. I didn’t notice any bugs either.

How did DesignRussia perform from a project management standpoint?

They did very well. I worked with my account manager, Alexey. He performed great, but I don't know about other managers who work there. They spoke English very well because they had to communicate with our global team in Atlanta and worldwide. This is a usual challenge in Russia since there aren’t many people speaking English at a certain level, but DesignRussia is great about that. They're also fast and professional, always implementing tasks on time. They do more than they offer. They don't mind doing extra small tasks. They’re one of the best partners I’ve ever worked with.

What did you find most impressive about DesignRussia?

I just think they're great. They replied quickly. Even though our manager was not in the office all the time, he would reply to me. If I sent him a question in the evening or when he was on vacation, he still replied to me or sent my email to another person, so I never felt alone or had any delays. If we have an opportunity to work with them in the future, we definitely will.

Are there any areas DesignRussia could improve?

They're professional specialists, but they may need better marketing in terms of promotion and things like that. With their abilities, price, and level of professionalism, they perform really well, but they're not famous like other big companies in Russia. I think it's because they're just busy with work rather than advertising.

If anyone asks me to recommend a web agency, I would definitely recommend DesignRussia.

Web Dev & Design for Commercial Playground Manufacturer

"They’re able to take my idea and change it into something I want without me telling them exactly what it is."

2010 - Ongoing

DesignRussia provides ongoing full design and development work for several websites, including customized features like physical catalog designs, mailings, and a nontraditional shopping cart.

11- 50 Employees

Indianapolis, Indiana
Nic Breedlove
Founder, AAA State of Play

DesignRussia’s involvement stimulates site growth. The custom features they’ve created appeal to customers. Assigned resources excel in producing high-quality code, delivering on time, and handling critical updates without compromising site functionality, which has been of utmost importance.

We manufacture and design commercial playground equipment and surfacing across the world. We sell it through a variety of platforms, mainly online, although we do use traditional outlets like physical catalogs and mailings as well.

What challenge were you trying to address with DesignRussia?

I needed to find a reliable source to do our design work. It was taking up time and we needed someone who would be consistent and reliable, reasonably priced, and didn’t need a lot of oversight. No oversight is really what I needed.

Everything started with us, but DesignRussia has definitely helped us build several websites on different platforms, including Magento, OpenCart, and BigCommerce. They’ve helped with physical catalog designs and mailings as well. Their hands are in almost everything we do.

The average sale price of a playground is somewhere around $5,000, and there’s not a whole lot of impulse buying. The average sale time could be three months, from getting a quote to actually buying something. It’s not a traditional web-based business. Subsequently, we need our own custom way to do things online, and they helped us get to where we needed to be. We’ve now consolidated things and we’re down to two sites. They’ve helped us grow those significantly.

They have multiple designers on every project. I usually deal with Alex [Founder, DesignRussia] for project management. Everyone is fluent in English, which is a good thing for me. I’ve talked with a few of the designers, but I don’t know how many there are. We’ve used them in every aspect of our business, so it’s more than just design. They handle the coding and everything else. They’ve done pretty much anything and everything for us.

Instead of a traditional cart system, we use a quote cart. People aren’t paying for anything online, and that needs to be very clear. Our customers generally have to get approval from a board before purchasing, so that’s even more unique. Everyone in a web-based business uses a standard cart, for the most part. Trying to customize that to our needs is a challenging task. With every update or when something happens, we’ve got to fix it or change it. We have to make it better for our users, so it’s clear that they’re not requesting an order; they’re just getting a quote.

We have color tools that DesignRussia helped to develop, which allow people to update the colors of a product online. If someone wants to see a playground with blue posts, they can just click on a button and see what it’s going to look like. Those live color tools have worked quite well, and they’ve been successful. A lot of customers like that feature.

How did you come to work with DesignRussia?

We did an online search. I believe we found them on Elance, which is now Upwork. We’ve been doing business with them for quite a while now, and they’ve never let us down.

How much have you invested with DesignRussia?

We’ve probably invested around $250,000 or more.

We began working with them in 2010, and the relationship is ongoing.

Keeping the code clean obviously helps with SEO [search engine optimization] these days. When they do an update, they ensure that it’s not going to temporarily jam up our system. All those things are important. Every time we have an update to our site, it’s important that it’s always rolled out properly, and we’ve not had an issue with this, which is huge for us. That alone is worth a lot to me. They do cross-platform, cross-browser, mobile, and desktop checks every time we do an update. All of this factors into the user experience and the SEO results. They’re all interrelated one way or another.

How did DesignRussia perform from a project management standpoint?

They’re on time about 99% of the time. We had a recent issue with Magento 2, but that was more of a problem with the platform itself. Every other time, they’ve been punctual or have delivered before schedule. I’ve used a lot of designers in my day who didn’t perform as well, so I don’t really get upset about any minor delays with DesignRussia.

What did you find most impressive about DesignRussia?

Sometimes I have an idea that’s not complete. They’re able to take my idea and change it into something I want without me telling them exactly what it is that I want. That’s very valuable to me. It’s unique to them, and because our relationship has gone on for as long as it has, they know what I want for the most part. I give them an idea of what I’m looking for, whether it be a physical design of a postcard or a redesign of a web page, and they can always knock it out of the park.

Are there any areas DesignRussia could improve?

No. It’s impossible for me to say much about that.

I’ve never had a project go longer than it was scheduled. They often deliver work quicker than I expect them to, and they’ve worked on weekends for me.
    Their costs are low compared to anything else out there.
    They are consistently on time. I don’t have the patience for anything less than the best.
    I would definitely refer them to anyone looking for quality design service.

Web Design & Dev for Insurance Agency

“Design Russia’s project management is the thing that keeps me with them because they have a good process in place.”

Oct. 2015 - June 2016

Design Russia revamped the UI/UX of an existing platform, redesigning the graphics, developing the WordPress architecture, and making it mobile-responsive.

Nashville, Tennessee
Ryan Deeds
IT Director, The Crichton Group

The improved site has more visitors and higher SEO scores, which resulted in an increase in revenue. Another highlight was Design Russia’s meticulous planning and proactive communication. While the team’s directness was sometimes disconcerting, it helped keep the project on schedule.

I’m the IT director of The Crichton Group, an insurance agency in middle Tennessee. We write insurance for a multitude of different businesses.

What challenge were you trying to address with Design Russia?

I’ve personally worked with Design Russia for almost 10 years. Almost all of our work together is around web design, graphics, and project management. I was a personal consultant, and I worked with another agency with them. I used Design Russia for a large consulting client, an architecture firm, and we built an online web application that was heavily integrated that new hires could apply through. They did a ton of graphics work on that for me.

With the Crichton Group, we hired Design Russia mainly to redesign the business’s website. This is the second company website that we’ve built under my tenure. With the first website, we used another firm that I didn't like near as much. I kind of came in on that project in the middle of it. When we had a chance to revamp it, Design Russia were the folks I wanted to use.

We wanted the new website to be mobile, we wanted it to be on WordPress, and we wanted flexibility. Design Russia was able to come in and facilitate all of that. We started over, so they built everything from scratch. They asked us about the core goals we were looking for and iterated through a couple of different wireframes. We landed on one we liked after about two weeks, and then they started fleshing that out. They have a very good process to walk us through that.

I’ve worked with them a lot in the past on WordPress, so I knew that that’s what I wanted to do and the way I wanted to go. We also wanted a mobile-friendly site, and they made sure that happened and that everything would look good and be fast. They spent a lot of time optimizing the website for us. I always feel like we have a friend in our back pocket that can resolve stuff in a day or two. We’re constantly picking at the website, adding new functionality, and they’re good when we do that.

We primarily use Design Russia for the graphics and the actual architecture of the WordPress site. They do very little search engine optimization or anything else. They put in a couple of SEO plugins, but we’re doing that ourselves. There’s no e-commerce on the site. It’s kind of a brochure experience at the moment. At the end of the day, it’s validation. “Here’s a good-looking website. It’s been in existence for a long time. Here are the sales guys. Here is what they do. Here is the impact they have. Here is what their expertise is.” We wanted to give some legitimacy to prospects and clients that are looking at us.

How did you come to work with Design Russia?

I found Design Russia through Elance in 2008 or 2009. I had done a lot of Elance consulting, both on the client side and as a consultant. When Design Russia’s project manager, Alex, reached out to me. I initially got them on board because their graphic design was eye-catching and something I hadn't seen before. At that time, I was building a personal project that I wanted some help with. They helped me with that, and then I started leveraging them for some of the corporate work I was doing.

How much have you invested with Design Russia?

We spent about $10,000 with Design Russia. We had previously worked with a large marketing American firm, and we had dropped about $45,000 on the previous website. Unfortunately, it was not what it should have been for that kind of money. Design Russia’s initial quote was $8,000, and then with all of the add-ons, it ended up being about $10,000. I’ve probably done about $80,000 in work with Design Russia throughout our tenure together.

The project took about eight months, but that was mainly my company iterating through options and figuring out what we needed. We started in October 2015, and we ended in June or July 2016, which is when the website went live.

We did see a pretty significant uptick from Google Analytics in terms of the users visiting the profile pages of our producers. We have carrier partners that review our SEO scores who want us to have high scores, so they always run us through these weird algorithms. Before the new website, our score was about a 35. After Design Russia got done with the site, it was a 75. I feel that the increase is due to the way Design Russia built the website—having the pages named correctly, etc. It was just good architecture, but it did assist us a lot. We actually fall out of a peer group if our SEO score is below 50 for certain carriers, which impacts the overall money that the carrier gives us. Once we got the new website up and running, we netted a $15,000–$20,000 increase over what we were getting the year before, so we actually made a profit on rebuilding the website.

How did Design Russia perform from a project management standpoint?

Design Russia’s project management is the thing that keeps me with them because they have a good process in place. They deliver what they promise, and they are cost-effective. For the most part, I send everything through Maria, who’s the one I deal with more than Alex, the project manager. He’s the one I've been working with for a long time. Once I got to Crichton, Design Russia had expanded their operations enough so they brought in another asset, which is Maria, and she’s been awesome. We were just talking to her today, emailing back and forth about a project they’re working on for us right now.

The nice thing about Design Russia is that they take a lot of time. They spend more time planning than anyone I've ever worked with before. They really try to get the expectation of what the client wants. They are absolutely cutthroat on their own stuff from a critique standpoint. It’s kind of refreshing. I think Westerners dance around things and use a lot of euphemisms. Design Russia gave us a review of our site when we first brought them in. It was tough for a lot of the board members to hear what Design Russia had written. They weren’t being overly cool, but they were not using euphemistic language either. It was, “This is not good, and this is why. This is why the score is bad here. This is what we see here,” and all of these different components. From that, they were able to draw up the project plan and lay that out for us with a timeline, a cost breakout, the payment schedule, etc. From a corporate experience, it’s nice to be able to take that into the boardroom and say, “Based on the conversation we had, here is what the plan looks like. Here is what the layout of the fees are, and here is why.” Design Russia itemizes well, and they charge $40 or $50 an hour, so it’s really inexpensive.

What did you find most impressive about Design Russia?

I’ve worked with a multitude of folks, and Design Russia has a better handle on the questions that I would ask. I would say, “I’m really trying to get X result, and this is what I think we should do.” The designer should say, “Yeah, no. We shouldn't do that. If you want to get X result, let’s do these three things. The words you're using are not …” Design Russia was better at illustrating the overall intent and their understanding of it compared with some of the other offshore folks that I have used.

Are there any areas Design Russia could improve?

In some cases, people will take Design Russia’s communication style as aggressive because they hold you to the fire on the timeline. They are proactive about getting you on the timeline. If you're off the timeline, they’re asking, “Where are we with this? When are you going to complete this? These are the eight things we’re waiting on. Where are we with each?” They’re very good about that. But that level of directness has put off some of my peers in the past. But from my perspective, it’s what’s needed in our organizations to actually move stuff forward.