YOU NEED FUEL FOR YOUR BUSINESS

Our work comes from the simple principle of growing a clients business by selling their products.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
  • 319, Zellig, The Custard Factory, Gibb Street
    Birmingham, WMD B9 4AA

Video Production for Utility Company

"They made us a priority, impressing engineers on our team with high standards."

2018

COAL FILM produced a video for an Irish company, consolidating technical data and information into a 90-second animated film. The final product is both engineering-centric and understandable for the public.

Dublin, Ireland
Senior Communications Specialist, Utility Company

The team produced an engaging video, garnering over 400,000 views to date. The product has been praised internally and externally, impressing stakeholders with high expectations. Dedicating project masters to daily workflow, they delivered on time, working extra hours to meet crucial deadlines.

I own a UK-based PR agency, but equally, I’m a consultant for a company in Ireland, where I serve as one of their senior communications specialists. I’ve worked with COAL FILM wearing both hats.

What challenge were you trying to address with COAL FILM?

In my consulting job, we deal with technical, engineering-focused information. We needed someone to communicate technical information in a basic, simple way that users could easily understand.

We sat down for a brainstorming session and came up with a plan to communicate how much turning off electrical equipment at certain hours of the day could be financially helpful to the Irish public. There were several requirements for COAL FILMS because we had to communicate results using data from across the country. Primarily, we had to convey the data clearly. But, we also had to put it into context, so people could understand its impact in their everyday lives. It needed to strike a balance between being technically impactful and easy to understand.

They came up with an animated film that explained the project, how it benefited the consumer, and how it tied in with both climate change and decarbonization. Equally, it conveyed what viewers could do independently to make a positive impact both on the environment and for themselves financially. The final product was about 90 seconds long.

l worked with two of their founders, one who functioned as an account director. There were about 4–5 teammates that I interacted with.

How did you come to work with COAL FILM?

A number of people I know have worked with their owner and highly recommended him. We did a three-part tender for the work. From there, I recommended that we use them.

While specific spending numbers are confidential, COAL FILM was about $8,000 south of the next most cost-effective competitor.

We started and completed the project in 2018.

We had just north of 400,000 views on this video, which was impressive considering the technical nature of the content. They provided a pleasing piece of work that was praised by both engineers and those without a technical background. It certainly satisfied both appetites through animation and video.

How did Coal Films perform from a project management standpoint?

We were on time and on budget. They designated a couple of project masters to the effort, and everyone was able to get updates through Basecamp. There were a few times I thought we might run over on time, but they came through. Everything balanced itself quite nicely, and we were able to provide the engineers with what they needed. The account director and co-founder made a point to be very involved, and it was great to have that level of seniority on the project.

Most service providers leave the office at the end of the workday, even when there’s still work to be done. When we were falling behind, COAL FILM made up for it by working extra hours. When there was work that needed to be done, they took care of it. They made us a priority, impressing engineers on our team with high standards.

I’d love it if they preemptively answered questions that the customer might ask. That way, by the time it gets to me, there are no answers required. That would lead to the perfect scenario.

My point of contact was the owner. When you have that level of seniority, it's worth paying a little bit extra to have their involvement.

We fell behind a few times, but they were willing to catch us up.
    They were much cheaper than their nearest competitor.
    Nobody could fault the work that was delivered—it was very special.
    I’ve recommended them to people already.