Supplying Arms for the Digital Revolution

- Cemtrex Labs (formerly OAB) is a creative technology lab with teams based in NYC and Pune.
- Cemtrex Labs aims to solve problems by building software (web, mobile, TV, wearable, VR, AR) that work well with ease of use, utilizing cutting edge techniques in design, user experience, and engineering.

New York, NY

Ecommerce systems
Application platform
BI & big data focus
BI & big data solutions

AARP, WME/IMG, Ironstate, Abu Dhabi Media Group, Fashion Media Group (VMagazine, VMan), Hearst Media (CR Fashion Book), King&Partners, Tris3ct, Nissan, Bose, HTC, M8 Agency, Debt.com, ScreenPush International, Maderas Labs, Interior Define, Nameless.TV, Slingshot VR, PaidEa$y, Sporttu.

Rating App (Abu Dhabi Media Group)

The core concept of the Rating app platform is that during Ramadan in the Middle East, shopping and watching TV are huge recreational activities during a month in which many people are on vacation from school and work. In order to engage the audiences of the shows collectively during this month, Abu Dhabi Media Group (ADMG aired a new show called Rating, the show's premise would be a live show that interviewed TV stars and allowed viewers to vote live on their favorite shows during this period) culminating with a winner at the end of the month.

OAB simultaneously worked on designing and fine-tuning the iOS, Android and television experiences.

The app’s needed to be lightweight, yet poppy and punchy in order to fit the overall experience of Ratings. We did so with a few mechanics in particular (1) Limiting votes in order to create a great value perception, remembering that voting on TV was going to be live (2) Making the celebration experience...

Al-Etihad News App

The Apple Watch was planned to launch in the UAE in 4 weeks and Abu Dhabi Media Group's (ADMG) A-Ittihad newspaper, a leading daily Emirati newspaper, needed an app for their campaign to coincide with the launch. Apple Watch apps are powered and controlled by their iPhone counterparts and as Al-Ittihad did not have an iPhone app, Al-Ittihad needed one developed in the same time frame as well. OAB rounded up the members of their SpecialOps team and got ready for some fun.

OAB worked closely with their counterparts at Advance.ae (ADMG's newly formed digital agency). They worked extended hours around the clock to quickly execute their Discovery + Preliminary Design Phase, beginning with rapid use cases and persona creation followed by rapid hi-fidelity wireframe prototype creation.

Through OAB's Discovery + Preliminary Design Phase they were able to uncover an experience that leverages natural and organic multi-touch controls for navigation to the news of interest to...

NYX

Michael and Nico came to OAB with the concept for an Archival Communication Interface. The NYX system would enable their team to rapidly create and manage beautiful responsive web-based image archives for galleries and institutions worldwide through one centralized system and database, with rich meta data and tagging features and advanced on-page SEO structures for optimized crawling, where desired. OAB’s team members had worked with tons of website generators collectively over the years, some ancient and some contemporary and had all taken away positives and negatives from their experiences and were eager to apply them to the concept. OAB wanted to be sure their design was as simple as possible, yet allow the NYX team to create variability and uniqueness to each individual archive - while also keeping responsiveness in mind.

It was extremely important that the pages generated were unique, while clean and focused on the art of the archive. Leveraging SVG assets throughout...

Haiku

As one of our pioneer experiments at Nex.tt, Haiku was a lean and scrappy exercise in rapid application development with high polish and production quality. Building upon an experiment Ajay (our client) had conducted some month earlier - the objective was to build a platform for quick and small celebrations of professional achievements.

OAB arrived at a flow that incorporated minor animation that was fun but also useful in inferring to the user what action to take or where to look and focus. Simultaneously OAB sought to extrapolate what they had learned through the creation process to the display, consumption, and interaction of completed Haikus.

Continued iterations were made to the product directly through code, without necessarily preparing detailed design documents or any documentation of any kind. These tweaks to the product were made typically during live coding sessions with Ajay and the OAB front-end development team and occasionally the back-end...

The rewards and loyalty platform that combines real-time promotions with exciting gamification technology to engage customers and grow your business.

Metroloft

When Mitch and the Metroloft team wanted to redesign their site, they wanted something that was simple and elegant while at the same time, easy to update and maintain. OAB began to work with the Metroloft team to understand the goals of their redesign requirements in greater detail.

Upon completing our interviews, OAB immediately got to work firstly, by laying out personas and use cases for all of the different kinds of users that would ultimately be served by Metroloft’s site. This is a wide variety of users that include bankers and brokers, to potential residential tenants and employees. OAB laid out a simple and clean responsive experience that focused on large, rich imagery and de-emphasized anything wordy or too text heavy, letting the buildings and properties ultimately speak for themselves. OAB then charged forward on coding and polishing the experience over the course of the next 6 weeks.

From a technical architecture standpoint, the site was built with...

Nex.tt

When Ajay began to develop the concept for the Nex.tt idea accelerator he approached it in a highly iterative manner, just as he would approach any idea in the Nex.tt accelerator. As agency-in-residence for Nex.tt, we immediately began to work with Ajay on the site for Nex.tt that would serve as the primary entry point for applicants to the program.

As we had worked with Ajay in the past and were looking to figure out many parts of the experience out along the way, we opted to work in a rapid application development (RAD) framework as opposed to a more traditional agile framework.

OAB continues to serve as agency-in-residence at Nex.tt and is working on a host of other interesting and exciting experiments with Ajay and Tom.

V Magazine

When the V magazine team came to us they were just ending their relationship with a digital agency whom they had commenced their responsive redesign and redevelopment with. Most of the design had already been established and there was a ‘codebase’ for us to work with - however a major advertising campaign was coinciding with the relaunch - and was just over 8 weeks away. We would need to round off the design , restructure and refactor the usable bits of code and rewrite the rest, not to mention, the enormous library of articles and content would have to be migrated from an archaic proprietary platform into a Wordpress multisite.

Maderas Labs

The objective was to create a tailored POS and CRM solution for a boutique surf resort with extremely limited connectivity in rural Nicaragua. The tricky part was that this would serve as a pilot for a system ultimately to be rolled out to boutique hotels and resorts around the world. OAB worked closely with the team at Maderas to understand the realities of their business and craft an experience that accurately captured and reflected their processes while uninvasively streamlining and optimizing where possible.

PaidEasy

PaidEasy

The objective was to easily enable small merchants to begin taking mobile payments without any additional hardware. OAB immediately

jumped into a discovery phase that entailed extensive market and technical research, in-depth interviewing of potential merchants, consumers and other individuals already operating in the space. We researched and established relationships with key technology partners and brought the vision from concept to realization.

PaidEasy closed a $1M USD secondary seed round in August 2015 at a $5M valuation.

BOTY

Bartenders are the unsung heroes of great parties across the world every night. BOTY is a community built upon that very premise, that great bartenders create great nights out.

By creating a platform to empower Bartenders to engage their customers, BOTY creates a whole new dimension to the way people select bars and socialize once there. BOTY includes live games users can play against others at the bar as well location based messaging enabling patrons to jump into a conversation with one another.

Whirl

Our client wants to disrupt how people park and generally deal with their cars in major US metro areas. The goal was to create a system that enables users to summon a valet attendant anywhere they are to park their car or wait in it. The second part of the system deals with managing the valets from signing up to tracking and communicating with them. OAB begun the process on the ground in NYC with extensive market research and analysis as well as extensive interviewing with parking attendants, garage owners, drivers and members of Whirl team.

Whirl is currently in a private beta in New York with plans for wide release this November.

Web Development Partnership for Digital Agency

“They’re one of the most professional groups I’ve ever done business with.”

Nov. 2016 - Ongoing

Cemtrex Labs is the dedicated development team in an ongoing partnership. They’ve worked on over 100 projects, including an ERP system, several WordPress websites, backend systems, and internal websites.

Pine Brook, New Jersey
Tommaso Ottaiano
CEO, Today's Business

Cemtrex Labs’ contributions have allowed the client to yield more inclusive and efficient development processes, and also helped save an estimated $250,000 per year. Their level of service, responsiveness, and intelligence are unparalleled.

I’m the CEO for Today’s Business, a full-service digital marketing agency.

What challenge were you trying to address with Cemtrex Labs?

They’ve given us the ability to scale our development. We’ve worked on over 100 projects with them, and they’re a very critical part of the business.

We started working on 5–6 different WordPress websites. They’ve worked on some of our bigger technology partners, backend systems, internal websites, etc.

One of the larger projects was building a custom ERP [enterprise resource planning] platform for our internal use. They customized a QuickBase ERP system for us, which I refer to as an extension repository. It’s a database of information that uses different formulas that function together. It keeps a lot of our data about our clients organized and in one place.

I’m probably one of their bigger clients on an annualization basis. They are my entire website development team, so they handle all of my projects. I co-manage the projects, and we have an entrepreneur mentality. We collaborate with them on different ideas about business all the time.

I work with Lucky [Cemtrex Labs] and Ash [Cemtrex Labs] directly, and my team works with their team. There are 3–5 people working on our project at any given time.

How did you come to work with Cemtrex Labs?

A colleague of mine introduced me to Lucky and Ash early on. They were a little further ahead of us in our startup team and developing some big projects. We had the opportunity to grow an unbelievable working relationship.  Their leadership attracted me.

We spend $60,000–$100,000 per year.

We started working with them in November of last year.

They’re one of the most professional groups I’ve ever done business with. They make us much more efficient, and probably save me $250,000 per year.

How did Cemtrex Labs perform from a project management standpoint?

They’ve created an extremely accurate process, including project management, billing, and invoicing. Their service and responsiveness are of the highest quality. We use Teamwork for project management and communication, and we also talk on the phone.

Their overall structure, way of functioning, and processes are really good. I learned a lot from them. The integration of their project management and how they work on the project management software are impressive.

No. Everything is great.

They’re extremely intelligent, so try to learn as much as possible from them. Trust the process.

Overall Score I want to continue and am hoping to grow the relationship in the future.
    I’ve had nothing but a great experience with them.
    Definitely five out of five on value.

iOS App Redevelopment for Fitness Enthusiasts

"[T]heir open line of communication is the biggest attribute to who they are."

Aug. 2016 - Nov. 2017

Cemtrex Labs performed development and design of a fitness content iOS app, which hosts videos for a monthly subscription service. It contains a number of communication features and smooth screen transitions.

Miami, Florida
JoLonn Dunbar
Founder, Prime58 Fitness App

The app was completed on-time and has no problems with its functionality. While it was just recently released, it has upwards of 1,500 downloads from the App store. The team maintains efficient and open lines of communication, and has never missed a deadline.

I’m the founder of Prime58 Fitness app. We acquire the fitness content of professional athletes and release training videos on the platform for people to train like their favorite superstar.

What challenge were you trying to address with Cemtrex Labs.

I had a rough app pieced together, and was looking for a developer to really bring it to life and improve the functionality and user experience.

I brought them the rough version of the app; the function wasn’t as smooth or easy going as I would have liked. It was very rugged and his team vetted the app, and cleaned up everything to create a solid end product.

The app functions to connect users with their favorite athletes or role models, at a price point of $5 per month. They are able to follow the fitness routine of any athlete on a day to day basis. We’re putting together content that allows users to be able to relate to some of their favorite athletes, and do the same things.

It’s built to hold a large capacity of videos, and transitions easily between wireframes. It has a number of built features in terms of communication, photos, sharing, comments, and that sort of thing. Their team brought all that to light. They also did video integration on the user end and additionally, on the content of the athletes.

I primarily worked with Lucky [Cemtrex Labs], but also a number of members on his team.

How did you come to work with Cemtrex Labs?

I found out about them through a mutual friend. I had been previously working with another company that I was unhappy with, and she introduced me to Lucky. We hit it off in terms of the vision of the app and what his company would be able to do to bring my dream to reality.

We have invested approximately $30,000.

We started working together in August 2016, and the iOS app launched about a month ago. They haven’t done any work on bringing the app to Android yet, but will be responsible for doing so in the future.

The app is incredibly solid in terms of functionality. The users absolutely love it. I attribute all of that to Lucky and his team – they made it happen. We have upwards of 1,500 downloads and are continuing to push forward and grow.

How did Cemtrex Labs perform from a project management standpoint?

We used video hangouts as our main method of communication, as well as phone calls and email. We also used a tool called Teamwork for project management to keep the timeline and everything in one place. They’ve done a great job of being open and honest about the work they’re doing.

They’re very timely; everything I’ve asked to get done or speak about is returned that day or the next, which I really appreciate. They haven’t missed a single deadline or fallen short of any expectations. He’s really almost exceeded every expectation in terms of the how the app plays out in your hand. I’m super excited about what he’s done with it.

I found their communication most impressive. With our previous company, that was one of the biggest problems with them. Their ability to communicate and actually execute what they say they’re going to do is great. The most helpful thing I’ve experienced with them is being able to talk and feel out the process with Lucky and his whole team. They’re all working hard to get it done, and that line of communication is the biggest attribute to who they are.

It’s hard to find something that I would want them to improve on. They’ve been really good to me, and I don’t know if it’s because I came from a disastrous experience beforehand, but there’s nothing I can be upset about.

To take your time, have a couple of conversations with them, and make sure you’re comfortable with the work they’re going to do. Lucky and I spoked for about a month before I let his team work on the app, and they did the first 30–90 days pro bono. He went through and helped me understand the problems going on in the backend, and how he was going to build the app moving forward.

Overall Score They did an excellent job. The fact they explained what was going on behind the scenes and how they were going to build the app, was the most encouraging aspect to me.
    No one’s perfect, but they were pretty close.
    They were great.
    I would recommend them without a doubt.

Android App & iOS Updates for Music Streaming Service

"We’re happy with the work they’ve done."

Oct. 2016 - June 2017

Cemtrex Labs built an Android app based on an existing iOS app design and subsequently re-architected the latter to improve reliability and stability. The updated iOS app is forthcoming in the App Store.

Robert Rodriguez
Co-founder, Frisky Radio

The Android app fulfilled a primary client's demands while the iOS upgrades improved stability and garnered positive feedback. Skilled planning aligned scope and deliverables with an economical budget, but the final cost was higher than expected. Their flexibility was appreciated and exceeded expectations.

I’m executive director at Frisky Radio, which is a music streaming service with on-demand and off-line listening. We have radio streams available via web, iOS and Android.

What challenge were you trying to address with Cemtrex Labs?

We needed new talent to develop an Android app based on the existing iOS version. We were not happy with the independent iOS developers we used and subsequently required a new vendor.

They built the Android app from scratch by following the style guide and functional designs that were in place for the iOS version. We provided digital assets; they connected to our backend APIs.

Android development was the main project, but we have initiated others too. We’re about to launch a new iOS update with added features, which the App Store just approved. The team also redesigned and re-architected the entire iOS structure to improve stability and reliability.

I served as their project manager. The team was very small. We had 1 developer that doubled as the architect-engineer and 1 QA tester.

We ended up with 2 developers when the project transitioned to supporting both the iOS and Android versions. One developer’s decision to leave the company represents the only turnover we’ve experienced.

How did you come to work with Cemtrex Labs?

I worked with them on another project (when I worked at another company) involving a personalized sports app for Android and iOS. Since I was familiar with their set-up, I recommended them to Frisky.

We spent almost $50,000 on the main Android project.

Work started October 2016 and is on-going. The Android soft launch occurred in June 2017 and the hard launch followed in July.

I gauge success in business by how clients respond to what we deliver. The Android version was extremely successful because it fulfilled a specific demand for one from our clients. The project cost more than we wanted to spend, but we realize that that investment resulted in a highly functional tool. Feedback did not indicate the app was unstable.

We tested the new iOS version considerably and expect it to perform well. The iOS team did have a slower learning curve than their Android counterparts, but that reflects the large scope of redesigning the former’s backend. We will look to see how many users engage with the iOS version and their satisfaction with the app.

How did Cemtrex Labs perform from a project management standpoint?

We reviewed our financial constraints prior to development. They were flexible in identifying solutions we could afford that aligned with expectations. The iOS upgrades made the project more expensive than we anticipated but they were necessary given the first iteration’s problems.

The flexibility they demonstrated in issue resolutions exceeded expectations. The team had an open-door policy that allowed us to call with requests. They always followed-up with reasonable timeframes for the solutions.

We placed significant demands on the developers and they responded very well. They were flexible in contouring their process to our expectations.

They need to vet resources more, as opposed to assigning personnel to a project. We suggested a new process in which we interview their recommendations for team members. While we approached them on this issue, we don’t anticipate it being a problem. We’re happy with the work they’ve done so far.

Overall, be open-minded and flexible. Although they’re headquartered in New York, the development teams are in India. Prepare to adjust schedules to accommodate the time difference. While team members work Eastern Standard Time hours for our convenience, we had to hold calls regularly between 7am and 10am. The overseas resources speak English well, but it may take some time to adapt to different accents.

Overall Score I’m tough when it comes to perfection.

Web & Mobile Apps for Curating Sports Content

“The app looks fantastic, and Cemtrex Labs has created a smooth-performing experience.”

Mar. 2016 - Ongoing

Collaborating with the in-house dev team, Cemtrex Labs built the frontend for white-labeled Android, iOS, and web apps that all integrate onto a larger content platform. The products are now in the last stages of testing.

CTO, Global Sports Apps

Cemtrex Labs quickly adapted their workflow to overcome hurdles typical of integrating a new development team and maintained open communication throughout the project. Great personalities and an invested interest in the products’ success resulted in high customer satisfaction.

I’m the CTO for a sports platform that provides customization and personalization around sports news, scores, stats, etc. Our comprehensive platform allows users to follow teams, athletes, clubs, and leagues and get specific content based on what they care about across 300 different sports and about 23,000 leagues.

What challenge were you trying to address with Cemtrex Labs?

We initially needed help to build our mobile presence for iOS and Android through a number of apps. We eventually sought web help, too, so we needed a firm that could build and manage the entire frontend.

Our company focused on building the backend and APIs, and Cemtrex Labs focused on building the frontend, web experience, and Android and iOS experience. The apps are built in Objective-C for iOS, Java for Android, and Angular for the web. The core components of integration on the backend are Scala, Ruby, a bit of Python, a number of technologies with MySQL, and Elasticsearch.

When a user initially opens the app, they don’t have to login but just select their favorite sports, teams, and athletes. That sends them to a page with all the news and videos that are specifically related to the individual and teams that they’re following. Users immediately start getting content based on what you care about, and they can click into a scores and events section to see when a game starts or ends, who won it, etc. The app pulls everything into one place, and users can even select to be notified when there's interesting news related to their preferences.

We have a project manager and team leads for Android, iOS, and web. We also have consistent communication with Ash [Cemtrex Labs] and Lucky [Cemtrex Labs].

How did you come to work with Cemtrex Labs?

We were referred by a company that had worked with them previously. We talked to a number of developers, and it came down to three. We chose Cemtrex Labs because their team had a good personality and synergy, and we felt they understood how to build what we wanted.

We’ve spent about $350,000.

The partnership started in March of last year, and it’s ongoing.

For most of the products, we’re in the last stages of testing and validation. They’re built in a white label fashion, and clients have been highly pleased with them. The demo of the first app has already been downloaded around the world, including places like China and Africa, and it hasn’t even been marketed or promoted.

How did Cemtrex Labs perform from a project management standpoint?

We use JIRA, and Cemtrex Labs uses a tool we’re not familiar with. That took a little getting used to, but it helps them track things on a much more granular basis, which is nice because they can get precise estimates on how long or how much a certain project or feature will be. The team is responsive, and we have daily scrums with the project manager and the lead developers from each team (iOS, Android, and web). After the initial onboarding, they integrated well with our team.

We had some difficulty at the beginning of our partnership in developing an efficient working rhythm, but our teams figured it out within a month or so. They had to learn quite a bit of domain knowledge about sports and the complex relationships between entities, teams, clubs, etc.

Most everything has been good. The communication is great, they’re responsive, and Ash and Lucky are both highly involved and invested in our project. The app looks fantastic, and Cemtrex Labs has created a smooth-performing experience.

Their mobile team is great, however the web team initially lagged behind a bit. That may have been because of the technology we asked them to use. Cemtrex Labs proactively reorganized the web team and they caught up with the mobile team pretty quickly.

Documentation is key. Make sure you know what you're building, especially if you’re integrating Cemtrex Labs with your own team.  Have a clear direction and communicate what you want. Be ready to give details because they'll ask for it.

Overall Score They’re a joy to work with.
    They're always available, but timelines were sometimes pushed back.
    They're reasonably priced.
    No major problems, but there were a few small defects.
    Their team is great.

Website Development for Entertainment Agency

"Their developers and designers are adept at solving problems while being very timely and meticulous."

Dec. 2016 - Ongoing

Cemtrex Labs designed and built a website catered to visual artists, focusing heavily on its UX and overall aesthetic to perfectly highlight multidisciplinary artwork. They also created a custom CMS.

Director, Entertainment Agency

The site works seamlessly, bringing the company’s vision to life. Great project management and smooth communication marked the relationship, but their ability to bring a project to life while tackling all the aesthetic, strategic, and functional requirements is what’s most impressive about them.

I am the director of LENS, which is a new division under IMG Fashion within the universe of WME IMG, a globally recognized brand and media agency. Essentially, LENS is a division of representation and we represent image makers—photographers, filmmakers, and creative directors. We aim to represent them editorially and commercially like a traditional agency would while plugging them into the world of WME IMG.

Cemtrex Labs helped me set up a digital presence, building out the website for the division and helping to strategize the UX around our specific needs as a growing business. They designed and built out the site thinking about where we could see ourselves five years later, which is instrumental as a startup. They also created a custom built content management system.

Because our agency is very visually focused, it was important that the images of our artists' work were front and center and that there were elegant designs and functionalities, for instance, animations that would emphasize but not over overpower or diminish the work of the artists. The way the images are displayed was beautifully done and the site operates seamlessly.

Some of our artists are multi-disciplinary, so there were templates built to speak to their unique needs. You can navigate through the entirety of one project that an artist has and get the full effect of it in a way that feels continuous and in line with the rest of their work. The navigation of the imagery within each artist on a project-to-project basis was really powerful and effective for us.

I worked with Ash [Gobindram, CEO] quite a bit and with Lucky [Gobindram, Co-Founder], and their development team, so I was in constant communication with everyone throughout the process. They would guide the conversation but the development team was incredible with how they worked and what they were able to turn around. It was very impressive.

How did you come to work with Cemtrex Labs?

I think it was an introduction. I had an initial conversation with them and it was very apparent that they were an agency that could straddle both the strategy and aesthetics. They designed and developed in accordance with those two things and with an eye to who our audience was and how they would want to navigate the site and consume the content we were putting out.

I had worked with them in mid-2015 at a fashion magazine where they helped develop and refine the publication's website, but we started working with them on this project in December 2016.

It was extremely powerful for us to launch the site because it gave a vision to this endeavor in a whole new way. It's not really quantifiable in metrics, but it's been invaluable.

Just having someone staying on the site and navigating through multiple pages, multiple artists, and multiple images is a powerful metric for us. It has been pretty incredible and it definitely exceeded my expectations.

How did Cemtrex Labs perform from a project management standpoint?

Their project management throughout the entirety of the process was always extremely airtight, which is important when you embark with a partner in this kind of capacity. It's a healthy mix of self-direction and collaboration.

They’re also very fluid with their communication, so I always have a clear idea of what items are being worked on and for how long.

Naturally, issues come up and the project evolves as you address them. They're not only able to help us address those things but they're also very collaborative in their approach so we can come up with different problem-solving strategies. That process adds to the betterment of the project and the website. It goes above and beyond just project management— it's really a partnership in that way.

Their ability to take the seed of an idea or the direction of a project and realize it in a way that checks all the boxes aesthetically, strategically, and functionally is quite powerful. They work they deliver consistently exceeds my expectations, which is pretty exceptional.

Their developers and designers are adept at solving problems while being very timely and meticulous in a way that is rare within the product development ecosystem.

No. I want to work with them more.

Overall Score I feel like they were very available to me at any time when I had questions or change requests. That service is vital when you're in a high pressure environment.
    They delivered the site faster than I needed them to.
    The quality exceeded my expectations.

Development and Strategy for Payments App Startup

"They are excellent in managing expectations and keeping within project deadlines."

Apr. 2014 - Ongoing

The partnership began with the development of an iOS app for paying one's drink tab and has grown from there.

Gregg Jackowitz
Founder, Paid Easy

Highlights include the owners' contributions to the design of the project as well as the quality of coding. Cemtrex Labs has increased insight into their billable time as the partnership matured to the client's delight.

I’m the chief executive officer [CEO] and founder of PaidEasy. My company is a mobile payments app. We work with restaurants and bars to facilitate discovery for consumers, allowing them to figure out where they want to go and find discounts at local restaurants and bars. Our direct point-of-sale integration allows the consumer to view, split, tip, and pay their bills without having to wait for a check.

What challenge were you trying to address with Cemtrex Labs?

I was looking for a development shop when working up initial wireframes for PaidEasy. The cost of building in-house when you’re not a technical founder is prohibitive. Cemtrex Labs worked with me in developing the initial minimum viable product [MVP], figuring out our go-to-market strategy and who to target.

It started as an iOS app and mainly focused around plugging in a lot of different APIs. In the beginning, we were working with point-of-sale companies directly, so it was them working on server integrations and backend API integrations. They then did everything else from design to development of the app. There is not yet an Android app as we are in the process of raising our seed.

How did you come to work with Cemtrex Labs?

When I started working on PaidEasy, I put a post on my Facebook looking to hire a development shop and I interviewed a couple of them. A friend of a friend, who was a sales rep for Cemtrex Labs, reached out and set up a meeting with Lucky Gobindram, who is the president, and Ashwin, the CEO. I discussed my vision and idea. From the get-go, they were not your typical development shop where they were just yes-men and said, “We will build it. Here’s the cost.”

How much have you invested with Cemtrex Labs?

We have invested between $100,000 and $200,000.

We’ve been working together since April 2014. They sit on my board.

I think the value that they added to PaidEasy was not only transactional. Lucky has made introductions, including venture capital firms, to some of our venues that we work with. They add value way beyond the scope of the work that we have done together, which makes sense in terms of a product standpoint as well as for the future vision. Lucky is an extremely smart guy and knows the space that we are in. He definitely knows players in the space and venture capital firms, so it made sense to have them as a part of the company. It was not like “Develop the app and I will give you a board seat arrangement" since I still paid for all of the work. The value that they were able to bring to the table dictated that.

I cannot disclose our consumer usage for the iOS app, but I can tell you that venues love our app. We went from working with 15 venues to now having 500 restaurant partnerships across New York, Miami, and DC.

How did Cemtrex Labs perform from a project management standpoint?

We used Trello for project management. I am the type of person where I like immediate responses. There has never been a time, whether it is two in the morning or three in the afternoon, where I have not been able to speak with someone. They work with a lot of teams offshore, and they also have Lucky and Ash based in New York. They are overly communicative, meaning there is always someone you can speak with.

Expectations were set from the beginning in terms of how long will it take and when we will launch. Obviously, things come up in development when we are working on something that no one has done before, which is a lot of point-of-sale integrations, but they were always managing expectations and kept me up-to-date.

What did you find most impressive about Cemtrex Labs?

They do not operate as a typical development shop. For someone like myself who is not technical, but mainly sales and business oriented, it is a breath of fresh air from a development shop where you can call them, tell them an idea, and they build it. It is helpful for someone who is not technical to hear “that is not possible and this is why”, or “this is possible and this is what it will take”, not in technical terms but in a way that I understand what we are able to do.

Are there any areas Cemtrex Labs could improve?

Towards the end of our project, they were more upfront on how they do things in terms of hours. In the beginning, it was all project-based, but then we switched to an hourly base where you can see a breakdown of how many hours this task took. I wish we did that from the beginning. Not to say it was bad in the beginning, it was extremely helpful for me as I progress with the company knowing that X change will take X amount of hours instead of relating it to a direct cost.

There has never been a point in time where I have a question or concern that someone was unable to answer. I am not talking about a couple of hours but immediately.
    I do not think the project will not be funded anymore because of a design or technical issue.
    They are excellent in managing expectations and keeping within project deadlines. Being able to give definitive timelines is important, especially when you are launching a beta and even more so when you have paying customers.

Custom ECM Tool for Art Archivals

"Everything they’ve done has been aesthetically and functionally awesome."

Jan. 2015 - Ongoing

The project required helping an art archival service create a PHP-based electronic content management system from scratch.

Co-founder, Archival Management Software

The client was pleased with Cemtrex Labs' level of communication and accessibility. The non-technical client's vision was fully realized despite an initial planning process that he thinks could have been more thorough.

We provide a Platform as a Service [PaaS] for special collections, universities, and archives that allows them to create a website. The backend stores all the data bibliographically. It’s made with library scientists in mind.

I’m the co-founder of the company.

What challenge were you trying to address with Cemtrex Labs?

This was a partnership with Boo-Hooray, a company that deals with post-WWII archives. There are many special collections that are donated to universities that don’t get much exposure. If you go to the university, you need a reference number to get the book and you have to be very careful with the collections. We wanted to create an online, searchable public-facing archive for all of these materials.

We had the archival know-how but I needed them to implement the entire project. They used PHP for the backend, but I’m not sure what the front-end is.

How did you come to work with Cemtrex Labs?

I was introduced to them by a mutual friend and had worked with them on previous projects.

How much have you invested with Cemtrex Labs?

The project cost $100,000.

We started working with them 4 years ago. The archival project started in January 2015. We continue to work with Cemtrex Labs on other projects.

Everything they’ve done has been aesthetically and functionally awesome.

How did Cemtrex Labs perform from a project management standpoint?

They’re very available and great at communication.

What did you find most impressive about Cemtrex Labs?

They were able to adhere very closely to the original vision of the project despite all the iterations in between. They’ve been great at translating our desires into something tangible.

Are there any areas Cemtrex Labs could improve?

I feel they use too many formalities and acronyms in order to note change orders. Also, when you have a large project, there are going to be things that you don’t anticipate. Maybe it would be wise for them to spend more time on the initial mapping out of the project.

Overall Score They’ve been really awesome.
    Lucky and Ash have been very easy to contact and have taken the time to talk with us, no matter what it is and have addressed all of our issues.
    Their cost to value is dynamite. I don’t think you’ll find anything better.
    They have always delivered on time, in accordance with the scope and vision.
    I have recommended them already.

App Development for Hospitality Management

"I trust them and would have them help on projects in the future."

2015 - 2016

Cemtrex Labs produced a hospitality management platform beta which is being used by a boutique hotel before a commercial version is launched.

Nicaragua
Co-founder, Hospitality Platform

The client was pleased with the commitment shown by the Cemtrex Labs team, who came on-site to conduct and troubleshoot the initial implementation. Cemtrex Labs' bid and actual costs were very attractive.

The app is a hotel management system that integrates POS, reservation systems, and contact management software. We want to grow the app into a white label software that we can bring to the market to create solutions for bed and breakfasts, boutique hotels, and hostels throughout the world.

I am the co-founder of Maderas Village.

What challenge were you trying to address with Cemtrex Labs?

We needed someone to build a version of the app so that we had something to test before we built the final version.

We gave Cemtrex Labs our ideas and wireframes, and they ran with it. They were able to interpret what we wanted into a system that works. They put us in touch with a good UI [user interface] team to bring to the project. They were great producers from start to finish.

How did you come to work with Cemtrex Labs?

I was referred to them by some friends who had done business with them. We sat down with Cemtrex Labs, and because of the quote they gave us and the general confidence we felt working with them, it seemed like the right decision.

This is confidential.

We started working together 2 years ago and they finished the project a year ago. We’ve been testing the product at the hotel for a year and we’ve been gathering feedback. Now, we’re rebuilding it with in-house developers and launching the company in a new direction.

We haven’t launched it commercially. They were committed to staying on the project through all the iterations. They sent a team to be with us for 10 days to make sure everything was working right. When issues came up, they were there to see for themselves and were able to send those problems back to India. By the next morning, everything would be fixed and ready to test again.

How did Cemtrex Labs perform from a project management standpoint?

With app building, there are a lot of challenges that come up, but anytime we had a challenge, they were committed to completing the project. They were working late hours to stay on target with the schedule. I trust them and would have them help on projects in the future.

What did you find most impressive about Cemtrex Labs?

Everything they said they would do, they did, and they did it for a price we couldn’t find in other places. I was very happy working with them.

The timeline was longer than we initially expected, but I felt that was just the process of app development and issues that came up. They committed to getting it done and kept going until we were satisfied.
    We couldn’t have done it any other way. Their structure of being set up in New York and India is really smart. It leads to a lot of efficiencies and allowed us to do what we did.
    They’re always accessible and very straightforward with everything. Even when issues came up, they dealt with them in a professional manner.
    I would recommend them to anyone looking to do a similar project.

Web & App MVPs for Early Stage Incubator

"They’ve taken really great technical talent in India and made it viable for clients all over the world."

2015 - Ongoing

This engagement involves rapid prototyping of web and mobile solutions in partnership with a business accelerator.

Ajay Rajani
Founder, Nex.tt

Areas of strong performance include project turnaround times and the pure quality of the development work, especially given the affordability of each project. They've never disappointed the client.

Nex.tt accepts applications from all over the world, specifically ideas for businesses. Our value proposition is that we help you test a business idea before you decide to leave your job or try to raise money. When we test them, we design and launch experiments that are like prototypes. These could mean very simple mobile applications, very simple web applications, and so on.

What challenge were you trying to address with Cemtrex Labs?

We were looking for someone to do all our development, including our site and our pre-accelerator for ideas.

Cemtrex Labs built all of our own technology and our website. Together, we’ve built a couple follow-on products that are a directory of ideas. Now, we have a platform similar to crowdfunding that allows people to turn their idea into an experiment and then open it up to a community. People contribute to that and then they bring their own communities that want to help them with their project and who want to fund them. Aside from developing our website, Cemtrex Labs helped us with numerous projects that we’ve accepted into the accelerator. They built some of our prototypes; it’s not white labeled at all. They’re our agency and residents for that purpose. We pay Cemtrex Labs and they’re part of the value proposition that we bring to the projects that we work on.

The first thing I built with them was an app for my wedding. Instead of having table seating cards, we built an app where people could ask for their place at the reception. They could text their name to a phone number and that phone number would return their table number in a nice message. We used Trello API and built a basic SMS app with them that way.

I also worked with them on a LinkedIn 2.0 web app that was mobile-optimized and desktop-optimized. The app, called Haiku, would help people celebrate their successes at work. It had a lot of CSS on the front-end, Rev. We used Symphony to build it in a quick timeframe, as I always try to build MVPs. That one took a little bit longer, about 3 months, to get up and running. We did another 2 months of iterations on it. They also used PHP and Symphony with a MySQL database. There was also a ton of JavaScript.

Next, we built an iOS app with them that helps people thank others like coworkers or friends. If someone helps you with a project you’re working on, if they inspire you, if they do something nice, it’s a standard way to thank them. We used a Giphy API there, so it’s short message, plus the GIFs they could publicly share. We tapped into Twitter and Facebook APIs.

How did you come to work with Cemtrex Labs?

We have a lot of friends in common and Cemtrex Labs came highly recommended. We grew up in the same area.

How much have you invested with Cemtrex Labs?

We have paid $100,000 to $125,000 for their services.

We started in 2013 but started working a lot from 2015 on. We’re still working with them now.

We’ve always got amazing design feedback on anything we’ve built with Cemtrex Labs. The best metric for us is that 3 months is the longest time that it’s taken to get something launched and public with Cemtrex Labs. That’s the amount of time, from start to finish, that it takes them to produce an MVP that’s launchable. They’ve been able to do that 5 times while producing high-quality products. Plus, Cemtrex Labs gets great reviews and public validation.

For example, the first project they did was that simple wedding texting app. They completed it in 12 hours and knocked it out of the park. From them on, they’ve been the only agency I’ve ever worked with. For one website, Cemtrex Labs had to deal with a lot of animation. They did a lot of custom SVGs for the animated components on the site as well as a lot of JavaScript. It was really top-notch design and we’ve gotten some shout-outs on design sites about it. That is available on Nex.tt. Another product they helped build was literally an idea on the back of a napkin. Less than 8 weeks later, it was getting funding for $750,000 and was accepted by 500 Startups. It’s maturing from a venture capital perspective.

How did Cemtrex Labs perform from a project management standpoint?

We’re in close contact with project managers, executives, and the core development teams that we work with. We work with project managers but Cemtrex Labs has been really good about letting us speak with developers directly just because I have a lot of background building software. They use company workflow, Slack, email, and Trello. They’ve been great.

What did you find most impressive about Cemtrex Labs?

I think they’ve taken really great technical talent in India and made it viable for clients all over the world. A lot of times, you have really technically talented people but they are located remotely or are not native English speakers. While that usually worked for a small client profile, Cemtrex Labs made it work for almost anyone. You get the benefit of great customer service, great technical expertise, bandwidth, and chops for an affordable rate. You can get quality products built in a timely fashion for a price that doesn’t presume that it’s going to be the most successful product in the world. You can afford to be wrong with your idea because their execution is going to be sharp. They’re not going to waste time and money and it’ll be really high quality. At the same time, you can afford to change your idea and not be perfectly right, right off the bat. I think that’s required for any software.

Are there any areas Cemtrex Labs could improve?

I don’t think so. I feel like I’ve always had really great experiences with Cemtrex Labs so I don’t personally see anything to improve myself.

Overall Score I’ve never felt like we had an antagonistic client relationship. It always feels like they’re part of the team.
    We’ve had small timeline issues, but that’s as much our issue as theirs.
    I’ve helped startups so I know the cost of an in-house team. I don’t see how we could have built as much for the same price and not been utterly ashamed or embarrassed by the output.
    It’s always been a high-quality product and I’ve always felt like they’ve been on my side. We’ve never been disappointed.

Mobile App Development for Industrial Tech Firm

"Quality was more important for us than price. When you’re able to get both [from Cemtrex Labs], that makes a big difference."

2010 - 2013

Cemtrex Labs has been a partner for over six years. More than two of those years have been spent building and iterating upon an iOS & Android app for booking services.

New York City Metro Area
CEO, Industrial Technology Firm

Cemtrex Labs has differentiated themselves in several facets including code quality, communication style, and affordability. The client was impressed that even their artistic design services were exceptionally good.

I’m the CEO of an industrial manufacturing solutions company. We’re a diversified industrial technology firm. We provide heavy industrial products and services as well as electronic manufacturing services for medical device manufacturers and automotive companies.

What challenge were you trying to address with Cemtrex Labs?

We needed different types of software written for our website. We also needed help with mobile application development.

We worked with Cemtrex Labs on iOS, Android, and web-based solutions. One of the mobile applications they designed was for one of our clients. It was an iOS/Android application for booking services at various venues—restaurants and nightlife establishments. It was unrelated to our business but it was an important project for our customer. The scope of that project was to build a comprehensive mobile application and backend portal content management system. Cemtrex Labs managed the front-end and back-end of these native apps. We used Amazon Web Services on the project. They did a lot of iterative development based on evolving requirements. Cemtrex Labs did a good job of adjusting to our needs and changing the product. Plus, they were able to produce the data to justify certain changes within the application.

How did you come to work with Cemtrex Labs?

Cemtrex Labs was referred to us. We had shopped around for firms and they seemed the most intelligent. They had the most direct planning process—the potential requirements from our side, from their side, timelines, all of that. I thought they were the most comprehensive and displayed the most competency out of the gate.

How much have you invested with Cemtrex Labs?

We invested more than $250,000 into the project.

We’ve worked with them on and off over the last several years. Some of the projects started in 2010 and we don’t have any active projects with them. For this particular project, we were able to work iteratively over 2 ½ years to develop and improve the app. We would certainly reach out to them again if the need ever arose.

Our client is very happy with the application itself and the timely delivery. We’ve worked with other web developers who weren’t able to build a robust application from an iOS point of view or a website standpoint. They’ve been consistent with our other projects, which I think is really important. They’re extremely competitive from a price point of view. It’s a huge differentiator for us that they are able to deliver high quality at an affordable rate. Quality was more important for us than price. When you’re able to get both, that makes a big difference. That’s why we’ve consistently chosen them.

How did Cemtrex Labs perform from a project management standpoint?

The project management was like an approval process. We worked with a project manager. I forget the name of the software we used, but every week they would have us review certain materials. We would log into the system to check everything. We had to make sure that everything was accepted or not accepted, and then add why. During our weekly calls, we would go over and review progress. It was full service and we had a lot of communication. That is important, especially in a development project. Every week, we knew milestones are getting done and that rolls up to a larger deadline internally for us. We had to get the iOS app ready by this date. Each set of deliverables is being done and we have an idea of where we are in the timeline and if we’re meeting the deadline. They maintained lines of communication and provided the documentation necessary to make decisions. We didn’t feel like we were waiting for them to get us information. They were timely in saying, “This is what we expect.” If they said they were going to have things ready by Tuesday, they were ready by Tuesday. Then it was on us to meet our own timelines so we could move forward to the next step.

What did you find most impressive about Cemtrex Labs?

I was impressed by how Cemtrex Labs listened to customers. Plus, they did not over-promise and under-deliver. They brought realistic expectations to the table about what is possible within a certain timeframe. That’s important because a lot of developers will say, “That’s possible.” And then 6 weeks into the project you have cost overruns and the development work isn’t nearly as far along as it should be. There’s a lot of confusion and poor communication because you’re dealing with developers. They have the right organizational structure with the artistic and development talent along with people good at project management. They have a lot of creative talent. We asked for 2 or 3 artistic designs and they really put their heart into that. They were also willing to hear our feedback and ultimately deliver on our vision. That’s unique. Some developers are just good at coding but they have this artistic element to their studio which sets them apart.

Are there any areas Cemtrex Labs could improve?

Not really. So far, we’ve been really satisfied.

Overall Score Overall, we were extremely satisfied.
    If they said something would take 2 weeks and we asked for 1 week, they were firm in saying, “It’s just not possible.” While that was not the best-case scenario, I’m glad they didn’t appease us by saying 1 week and then ending up with 2 weeks anyway.
    We’ve gotten quotes from developers around the world. There’s no question that it’s hard to find a better rate, given the quality.
    They provided what we wanted when we asked for it. They managed the client expectations exceptionally well.
    We would absolutely recommend them.