We tackle the software initiatives that matter.

Castle Digital Partners is a technology firm that partners with management teams to create proprietary software platforms that unlock or accelerate value creation in businesses. We tackle the software initiatives that matter most in a business.

Since 2009, we’ve been building SaaS businesses, transforming services companies into tech-enabled businesses, and replatforming old systems into modern experiences.

Charlotte, NC
  • 201 S College St. Suite 2700
    Charlotte, NC 28244

eMarketer  Buzzback Steritech proSapient  Fox Sports Real Recruit MyBespokeRoom ClubUp

ClubUp: Sports SaaS Image

ClubUp: Sports SaaS

Spotio: Field Sales SaaS Image

Spotio: Field Sales SaaS

ProctorFree: Ed-Tech Image

ProctorFree: Ed-Tech

Web Dev & Design for Educational Technology Startup

“Their team has worked collaboratively to bring my vision to life.”

Aug. 2019 - Ongoing

Castle Digital Partners serves as a go-to development partner in the creation of a specialized educational services platform. They’re implementing search algorithms, profiles, and in-app communication features.

Mara Koffman
CEO & Co-Founder, BrainTrust

The team continues to impress their partner with their ability to create actionable plans based on loose ideas. While the project is taking longer than expected, they’ve inspired confidence in their client through proactive support and willingness to work collectively with the internal team.

I’m the co-founder and CEO of BrainTrust. We’re in the early stages of developing a platform that’s intended to help people find specialized educational services.

What challenge were you trying to address with Castle Digital Partners?

I’ve been working with their team to build our platform, which will act as the core of our business.

Castle Digital Partners designed and developed a platform that allows us to manage scheduling, process payments, and utilize some advanced reporting features that will be handled by tutors after each session. They guided our team on selecting technologies for the platform, abiding by industry best practices. Our next stage of the process will include the development of market features such as tutor profiles, search algorithms, and platform communications management.

With the platform, parents will be able to search for very specific types of educational instructors. For instance, we hope to connect our users with special education support, speech-language pathology, and other services. Currently, it’s a challenge to find anything more specialized than general tutoring services online, so we’re aiming to change that.

We have a project manager. He was in charge of the early stages of development. Since, I’ve been in touch with a UX designer and a backend developer. The developer has become my primary point of contact. He’s able to coordinate with the rest of the team and our staff.

How did you come to work with Castle Digital Partners?

A friend working in the healthcare technology industry provided me with a list of vendors that he had positive experiences with in the past. I interviewed and met with each of those companies. Castle Digital Partners really stood out to me because they were able to conceptualize and present the scope of the work well. It was clear that they understood the process they would follow to come up with a solution.

Not only did they set up numerous calls to ensure they truly got to listen to my thinking, but they also translated that information into a clear, concrete spreadsheet that broke down high and low cost estimates. I was confident about their capabilities and how we could work together to see tasks through. We didn’t find that quality with other vendor candidates.

Since the start of the project, we’ve spent about $60,000. To achieve the scope of work that we’ve planned out, we’ll spend about $150,000 in the end.

We started working together in August 2019, and our teams are still collaborating.

There aren’t any specific metrics that we’ve been tracking. Although, they’ve been good at taking my ideas and turning them into a structured, actionable plan. It’s easy for me to comprehend how my ideas will be translated into their work.

While we haven’t provided specific delivery dates, I feel that the process is taking longer than expected. Because I’m not a developer, things that seem simple are often more complex. I accept that tasks are more complicated than I think they are in this effort.

How did Castle Digital Partners perform from a project management standpoint?

The initial part of the project was expected to be completed in about a month, but we’re just now finishing the first phase. However, I’ve been in frequent contact with the project manager, who’s been very good about communicating their progress to me. I always feel like I’m up to date on the project when communicating with him over Slack. In addition to Slack channels, we interface using Zoom and email.

While I don’t have experience with other providers in this field, I’ve appreciated their clear and consistent communication. They make me feel confident about undertaking new and foreign projects. Their team has worked collaboratively to bring my vision to life.

The experience has been very positive. There are several areas where this process can become complex and frustrating, but they’ve done an excellent job of moving the project forward.

The more involved you’re able to be, the better results you’ll have. It’s also important to be clear, organized, and proactive. That’ll ensure that they can understand what you want them to accomplish.

I was initially concerned with the likelihood of a developer understanding my product without any experience in my field. However, they were able to ask thoughtful questions that streamlined our ability to collaborate. We didn’t have to take a wait-and-see approach because we were working together every step of the way. That eliminated the possibility of mistakes resulting from miscommunications.

Mobile & Web Dev for Financial Services Startup

"They go out of their way to understand what is needed for the product..."

$1,000,000 - $9,999,999

Apr. 2018 - Ongoing

Castle Digital Partners augmented a development team, building the UI of mobile and web applications and then implementing testing for quality assurance.

Atlanta, Georgia
Chris Horne
VP of Engineering, Financial Services Startup

The vendor has been integral to getting the solution to market in a timely matter. Castle Digital Partners is an attentive, communicative team. They're driven to develop a thorough, nuanced understanding of goals and requirements.

We are a startup in the financial services industry, building a platform to service financial transactions in underserved industries. I serve as the VP of Engineering.

For what projects/services did your company hire Castle Digital Partners?

With an accelerated development schedule for our product launch, we needed Castle to assist with development to meet our goals.

We targeted to launch a product with two mobile apps and a mobile/desktop web app. While we had two software development teams responsible for much of the backend services, we needed additional manpower to create the mobile and web apps.

We had met the Castle guys in the past, and had discussed the possibility of working together on a project. Castle provided expertise with the ability to work with us on our budget and long term plans.

We started the project with a clean slate, and Castle was involved from the beginning with project planning, design, and working through many of the details. They were responsible for the front end UI for both the mobile apps and and web apps, and project management thereof. They also provided testing to ensure the final product worked as agreed upon.

Castle provided up to 12 people, including project managers, designers, mobile and web developers, and QA personnel. These team members were switched out over time as the project and budget changed, to accommodate changing needs.

The product is still in the process of being launched, due to some regulatory issues. However having Castle involved from the beginning ensured a rapid time to market and tremendous assistance on solidifying the details within the project, as well as offloading regression testing to their team, allowing the other teams to focus on the critical backend items.

I had video conferences with their project managers several times a week to discuss current and upcoming issues, design decisions, etc. The project was managed within Jira, with separate project boards for each team, and tickets that would reflect the integration needed for the other teams.

Castle's workforce was in Russia, so there were some language barriers at first, but were easily overcome. The time difference wasn't really an issue, since the teams worked largely independent of each other, with project management meetings to keep things coordinated.

I was initially concerned with working with an off-shore staff. I had done so in the past, and the communication and attention to detail were lacking. However, whether cultural or otherwise, Castle did not have either of these problems. At first, their amount of interrogation into the process, the why, and the amount of questioning was frustrating. Over time, I came to appreciate that this made a better project in the end because every detail was considered as we went.

There's not a lot that I feel Castle should improve upon. They go out of their way to understand what is needed for the product and have the people on staff to be able to reach the goal set. They're very conservative in their estimates, ensuring a proper and realistic schedule.

The time difference did cause some scheduling difficulties, but the teams were able to work through them.

Backend Development for Interior Design Firm

"I love how passionate they are about what we’re building."

May 2017 - Ongoing

Castle Digital Partners developed a custom interior design platform with numerous retail APIs that allow designers to easily drag and drop products into their designs. The platform will soon be sold as a SaaS.

11- 50 Employees

Laura Simpson
Co-Founder & CEO, My Bespoke Room

Responsible for increased customer conversions and uncovering new business opportunities, Castle Digital Partners has become a trusted partner. Their ability to respond to feedback and communicate frequently are notable. Customers can expect a deeply invested partner.

I’m the co-CEO of My Bespoke Room, an award-winning, online, and affordable interior design service. We’re now launching a B2B SaaS Tool that will help other designers set up, run and grow their own interior design business.

What challenge were you trying to address with Castle Digital Partners?

Within the interior design industry, there are headaches on both sides. Designers are overwhelmed by administrative tasks (they spend 80% of their time doing admin), so their productivity is low. On the consumer side, there’s limited access to affordable interior design. Consumers only options are to do it themselves (and hope for the best) or spend thousands hiring an interior design professional. We wanted to open up the market, improve design workflows by automating part of the process, allowing us and them to charge less for design services.

They built a bespoke platform. The frontend website allows designers and customer to submit a simple online brief and tell us about their room, lifestyle, and what they’re hoping to achieve. The backend allows designers to build a design, read the customer brief, and communicate with their customer on our chat feature (that’s a little like WhatsApp) but you can also share documents, videos and other files. They pulled APIs from hundreds of retailers from across the UK so people can drag and drop products into their room design, making the sourcing part of their job super easy and time-efficient.

The first version was built in 4–5 months (website and backend), and now they do maintenance and pockets of additional development. There have been three major releases since we initially launched.

I’ve always dealt with our project manager, a program manager, and a lead developer. The development team behind them has included as many as 14 developers at one time.

How did you come to work with Castle Digital Partners?

We met through a mutual contact and were their first UK client. After going through our tech requirements, we agreed on part-cash and part-equity deal. We would have access to their developers and gain quick market traction without having to hire the developers ourselves. What was particularly important was the ability to scale quickly.

We’ve worked together since May 2017.

Since we’ve started, our conversion rate has doubled. This is thanks to optimizing both our website design and customer brief – this was led by us but they inputted into the design. They’ve also created an effective and efficient way to create room designs, allowing us to become the number one interior designer in the UK. We can reach clients all over the UK, which we couldn’t do that without the platform.

The platform has worked so well that designers and retailers have approached us about white-labeling the software and selling it as a SaaS.

How did Castle Digital Partners perform from a project management standpoint?

We had a few teething problems in the beginning with continuity, but since we gave them that feedback they’ve been excellent. We communicate every day on Slack and have a great relationship with our project manager, senior developers, and senior account members. They’re exceptionally responsive.

I love how passionate they are about what we’re building. You can get good developers anywhere, but they were excited about and bought into our visions. Despite the time difference in Russia, they were responsive. They’ve become an extension of our team rather than an external partner.

It would be good to have more strategic conversations with senior management, so they help shape our long-term vision more proactively. Eventually, we will bring the tech completely in-house and they will help with this transition.

A good brief is essential, make sure you do mockups as well as documents to support your requirements, especially for front end development. Aside from that, Castle occasionally push the requirements and assumes it is more complex that it needs to be.  We go through what needs to be done line by line to make sure our goals are aligned and we can get to market quickly.

Most of the time, they hit the deadline. They could be more proactive in letting me know about delays as soon as possible.
    The first part was an exceptional value. Since then, they’ve overestimated for fear of underestimating. They’re always transparent and fair, though.
    The backend work is excellent, but at times with the frontend we’ve had to be very specific with our guidance.
    I highly recommend them. If you want to supercharge your product and get to market quickly, they’re spot on.

UI/UX Research, Design & React Dev for Sales Platform

“The level of talent they brought to the table was very impressive.”

Apr. 2017 - Aug. 2018

Castle Digital Partners created UI/UX designs for a technology firm, producing several iterations of the product and making adjustments along the way. The team used React for the frontend.

11- 50 Employees

Dallas, Texas
Trey Gibson
CEO, Spotio

They delivered a high-quality product on schedule and within the designated budget. The team fostered a smooth collaboration with the internal team, streamlining the process in this large-scale project. Throughout, they were trustworthy, skillful, and always kept the client updated on progress.

I’m the CEO of Spotio, a field sales acceleration technology solution.

What challenge were you trying to address with Castle Digital Partners?

We needed help getting a new product to market at a faster pace than we were internally capable of. Agencies we’ve worked with in the past delivered over time, over budget, and not as invested in the project as we wanted. We were looking for someone to take on the project like it was theirs.

They started with a deep market analysis of our space to define how we wanted to situate our product in the marketplace. From there, they started created UX mockups for mobile and web followed by UI and development work. It was an iteration-based project, so we sent them edits and feedback until the product looked the way we wanted. On the frontend, they used React.

We were in direct communication with a project manager, two product manager, and a delivery manager. But, there was a team of designers and developers working on the project too.

How did you come to work with Castle Digital Partners?

They were referred to me by one of my potential clients in an introductory conversation. I looked at them and a few other providers, ultimately deciding that Castle Digital Partners would be the best fit. Their model involves working for both cash and equity, so I knew I could trust them to be invested in delivering a good project.

We’ve spent approximately $500,000.

The project began in April 2017, and we launched in August 2018. But, we continue to work with their UX team.

The project itself went really well. It was a huge endeavor, and everything was on time and on budget. Their developers worked together easily with our developers. Everyone on our team found them to be qualified and sharp, delivering top-notch work.

How did Castle Digital Partners perform from a project management standpoint?

Everything got done on time, and we had regularly scheduled meetings. We also used Jira to manage the project. Their team wasn’t afraid to have hard conversations and ask tough questions to push things forward.

The level of talent they brought to the table was very impressive. We’re getting really high-quality work.

Nothing really comes to mind.

Designating a project manager on our end to communicate with their team would have streamlined the process more.

They hit deadlines and were willing to adjust the schedule as needed.
    We stayed on budget and everything was laid out for me going into the project.
    The work was very high-quality.

Software Development for E-Learning Company

“In the future, I plan to continue using Castle Digital Partners instead of an internal team.”

Oct. 2018 - Ongoing

Castle Digital Partners was hired to assess the product and internal team of a SaaS provider. After implementing several changes, Castle Digital Partners developed two new generations of their system.

Huntersville, North Carolina
CEO, E-Learning Company

The new systems are reliable and scalable, a huge improvement over the previous version. Though the product isn’t perfect, it was implemented swiftly and without downtime. Castle Digital Partners was easy to communicate with despite a language barrier, resulting in a continued partnership.

We’re a SaaS provider focusing on identity management for virtual exams and proctoring services. For example, our software verifies that the right person is taking an online assessment or course. We work with colleges, universities, and businesses that deliver online tests.

What challenge were you trying to address with Castle Digital Partners?

I reached out to Castle Digital Partners because I was concerned about our internal overhead challenges and the longevity of our product. I wanted an outside team to evaluate our product and internal architecture.  We quickly realized that we needed to make some major changes. We slowly phased out our internal team and brought Castle Digital Partners in to take over the project and carry us through the next phase of production.

Castle Digital Partners created two new generations of our software. Our product operates through a native client application, a browser-based tool, and a web application for dashboard reporting. The native client application works similarly to Zoom or GoToMeeting and relies heavily on cloud architecture.

I’m not sure how many people we’ve worked with, but we communicate very regularly. I also know that they outsource to a team in Russia.

How did you come to work with Castle Digital Partners?

I was choosing between two teams and Castle Digital Partners. All of the companies were well-known in our area. Although Castle Digital Partners has an external team, they’re based locally and their team knew the CTO we had at the time. Once we met, it was easy to explain our situation and what we needed, so our partnership evolved from there. It became clear that they could offer us a lot of support.

We formally started working with Castle Digital Partners in October 2018, and the project is ongoing.

Castle Digital Partners created two generations of our product with no downtime. Even though the product isn’t perfect, it is stable and scalable. I have confidence in their skills and their understanding of our product and market. In the future, I plan to continue using Castle Digital Partners instead of an internal team.

How did Castle Digital Partners perform from a project management standpoint?

We have very regular communication, at the very least once or twice a week. We usually have a weekly phone meeting, but tend to communicate daily through Slack and email. I submit tickets to their software development team and use Jira and Atlassian Suite to review work.

They accomplished everything we needed while sticking to our budget and timeline.

We hit a language barrier with some of their teammates, but we were able to work our way around it. I’m pleased with their team, and I hope we can continue working together.

It’s important to step back and assess what the most important features are at the beginning of the project. By being forthcoming and planning 6–9 months ahead, you can help them ensure that they have the right resources available to support the project.

Overall Score I didn’t think we would do this when we started the company, but my perspective has changed. I would certainly do this again.
    When a slight deviation from our timeline, they estimate that in ahead of time and explain why.
    They’re certainly not cheap, but we’ve gotten quality results back.
    They’ve generally done what they said they were going to do, and what we agreed upon.
    I have referred them. .

Web Development Project for Healthcare Software Startup

“They helped us get the product to market faster and better than we would have in any other context.”

Jul. 2018 - Apr. 2019

Castle Digital Partners built out the backend and critical features of a web-based networking platform for independent medical providers and patients, including e-commerce, file sharing, and search capability.

Winstom-Salem, North Carolina
Head of Product, Healthcare Software Company

The services provided by Castle Digital Partners have enabled an entire network to be created and delivered, serving doctors and patients around the country. Their team executed the project beautifully, highlighting UX best practices and adding value to the project through their ideas and feedback.

We’re a joint venture between a software web app and a network platform for concierge doctors trying to build a national network out of what had previously only been independent practices. I am a chief operating officer and head of product with both organizations.

What challenge were you trying to address with Castle Digital Partners?

We hired Castle to build up the tech we needed to enable our digital network. We had a previous partner build a very baseline version of the application's frontend and login functions, but we needed a partner that could take over the project and scale it from there.

They built a web app on Ruby on Rails with customer-facing web copy and imagery, and then doctor search functionality on the backend that allows you to find providers in your network and schedule appointments. There’s also a HIPPA complaint file sharing platform, and a custom billing system, all of which they built up for us. Castle Digital Partners provided the design work from the wireframes that we gave them and extended that into every other aspect of the application.

We worked with 5–6 people over the course of the project. Their team consisted of a project manager and a frontend developer, and then at various different points a few more developers as the project was ramped up or scaled down based on our status.

How did you come to work with Castle Digital Partners?

They were referred to us by someone in our professional network, and out of the bids we received they were significantly more experienced and professional than the alternatives, so we decided to go with them.

We started working with them in July 2018 and our efforts are ongoing.

A lot of the improvements are on a sort of binary—before, we couldn’t enroll patients and now we can because of the billing system, we can now have doctors search for other doctors, and lots of other things. They’ve basically completely enabled and empowered the whole network to be built and expanded.

Castle Digital Partners was always on time and on budget and demonstrated their extensive knowledge of best practices in UX throughout the process. They helped us get the product to market faster and better than we would have in any other context.

How did Castle Digital Partners perform from a project management standpoint?

They handled the project management flawlessly. They were clear up front, structured, and ridiculously responsive to any changes or questions we had through Slack and Trello. They always gave thought out explanations of how all of the features we were designing broke down across every dimension of the development process.

Despite being in a different time zone they were always willing to jump on the phone with us and talk through anything, and we really experienced no difficulties on that front whatsoever.

The number one thing about the project was that it was a partnership with people who were not just mercenary coders, but actually genuine solution architects. The fact that they were able to add value to an existing team of great designers in a tech organization is particularly exceptional.

I don’t think there’s anything that we could have improved.

Make sure you come to them with an idea of what you want to have done and know that the plan you came with is one that they will help you to make better.

Custom Web Development for Sports Company

“They’re responsive and take time to understand our business in order to provide the best solutions possible.”

2017 - Ongoing

Castle Digital Partners developed a customized web platform, collaborating with the internal team to address business challenges. The web platform also has an app component.

Charlotte, North Carolina
Matthew Rose
COO, ClubUp

Castle Digital Partners is highly capable and maintains constant communication. They regularly review work and often finish projects before their deadline. Their work resulted in a deal with a large country club, and the team is dedicated to the product’s success.

I’m the COO of ClubUp, a company that provides a software platform to private country clubs to facilitate the management of their caddy operations.

What challenge were you trying to address with Castle Digital Partners?

We needed a partner to build the platform.

The product is a web-based platform that has an app to complement the software platform. Castle Digital Partners built it from scratch, creating a simple design that’s easy to navigate. We told them about our business challenges, and they built the platform to overcome those concerns. They’ve worked on both the frontend and backend and continue to make enhancements and updates to the software.

The project manager is our main point of contact.

How did you come to work with Castle Digital Partners?

They were a referral, along with a few other companies. We interviewed a couple of different firms and chose Castle Digital Partners because they had some great ideas and the capabilities we needed.

We partnered in 2017, and the work is ongoing.

We signed on one of our largest clubs because of this product. Castle Digital Partners made rapid updates to meet the end client’s need, which was integral to the partnership.

How did Castle Digital Partners perform from a project management standpoint?

They’re always available and quickly respond to any of our questions and concerns. We have weekly meetings to review tasks and talk daily, mainly using Slack to communicate.

They’re responsive and take time to understand our business in order to provide the best solutions possible. Instead of just listening to our problems, they proactively come up with ideas to address them.

I can’t think of any ways they could improve. We appreciate their work and are happy that they’re invested in our success.

Foster a good relationship and clearly explain your expectations early. If you aren’t sure about working with them, talk to their past partners—you’ll see they’re a great choice.

Overall Score They’re a big part of our success.
    They often finish before their deadlines.
    We've already referred them.
    They deliver great products that impress our end clients, helping us get more business.