Growing companies need to tell their story well.

Companies are successful because they know how to tell their story. And when they need help, they call Cascade Communications.

We are veteran story tellers, in a virtual agency setting, creating your compelling story, engaging your audience and participating in the conversations that matter most to growing your business.

Cascade creates custom, targeted, integrated PR and marketing communications strategies for businesses from corporate and mid-market to small business and startups. We take into account all of your needs, pain points, challenges, goals and opportunities to build a customized approach for every client.

We focus on telling your compelling story across all marketing platforms, using our unique Communicate. Engage. Participate. model. Whether you have an established business, or you're preparing to launch or grow a startup, our team becomes part of your team as a long-term marketing partner.

Marketing audit, public relations, digital and social marketing, branding and design, website design, SEO, startup mentorship for go-to-market and growth strategy.

2001
Chicago, IL

PR for Belgian Chocolate Product Launch

“They were invested in learning about our goals and took a strategic approach to the project.”

Jan. 2019

Cascade Communications supported PR efforts to support a product launch for a food industry event. The team wrote press releases, email content, and created an outreach approach.

West Chicago, Illinois
Jennifer Lukas-Bourgeois
Co-Founder & VP Marketing, Lekkco Belgian Dark Chocolate Spread

The efforts from Cascade Communications helped spark significant interest amongst large retailers and the general public. Their receptiveness to the project’s needs and willingness to learn more about the industry made them a strong partner.

I’m the co-founder and VP of marketing for Lekkco Belgian Dark Chocolate Spread, a healthier alternative to other indulgent options. We’re a nut-free, gluten-free, vegan, dark chocolate.

For what projects/services did your company hire Cascade Communications; PR & Digital Marketing Agency?

We hired Cascade Communications to support our PR efforts ahead of a prominent industry event. We knew we’d be in a competitive landscape with other brands, so we needed a team to support our efforts.

We wanted to introduce our company’s story during a food trade show in San Fransisco. Our goal was to establish a voice to drive conversations, booth visits, and media interest to increase our brand awareness.

We knew Cascade Communications had a good reputation for giving small companies a distinct voice. We also were attracted to their professionalism, knowledge, and ability to follow-through.

Cascade Communications wrote two press releases and an email introduction for our company. In addition, they created a media outreach strategy for us to use at the industry event.

The owner of Cascade Communications is the person I worked closest with.

I was delighted with the results their work helped deliver. We saw a significant amount of visitors to our booth at the trade show after the press releases were written. Also, large retail chains showed interest in bringing our product to their stores. In addition to that, the work Cascade Communications did for us helped garner attention from chefs and bloggers.

They were easy to communicate with and followed-up with us, even after the show. Their team was timely with getting the deliverables to us.

They were invested in learning about our goals and took a strategic approach to the project. Their team took a deep-dive into our company in order to put together a great story for our brand. We were very impressed with the results.

There’s nothing they could have improved on.

They're very easy to work with.
    The cost was perfect for our budget.
    Their professional, strategic approach resulted in great deliverables.
    I have already referred them to a number of people.

Public Relations & Branding for Infant Toys Startup

"Jennifer is very professional and everything she does exceeds my expectations."

Mar. 2017 - Ongoing

Spearheading a PR campaign for a startup, Cascade Communications created a website and helped build a brand. They're currently focusing on growing social media presence and developing a fundraising plan.

Wauconda, Illinois
Stacey Kanzler
Founder, The Crawligator

The website is already getting traffic and the client loves its look and feel. Highly professional and accommodating, they're invested in building a productive and positive relationship, while their expertise and personable approach earned them favorable referrals.

I'm the inventor of the Crawligator, which is an infant crawling tummy time toy.

What challenge were you trying to address with Cascade Communications?

We're a new startup, so my biggest goal was fundraising. I was looking for a company to do public relations for me and help me build my brand.

We met and discussed my goals. I still had 12–18 months to produce the mold for the final product testing, so I had time to develop my business plans. Cascade Communications created a website for me and help me build my brand identity. They're also setting up my Facebook account.

I work directly with Jennifer (Fortney, Principal, Cascade Communications). I've also worked with a graphic designer who helped me with the logo and the branding.

How did you come to work with them?

My mentor at SCORE (Society of Retired Executives) referred me to them. I called them and they seemed like a perfect fit.

I've spent about $12,000.

I started working with them in March 2017 and this is an ongoing project.

My website has been getting a lot of visitors and exposure. I haven't finalized my Facebook ad yet, but I absolutely love the website that Jennifer has built for me.

How did they perform from a project management standpoint?

They're very accommodating and know what a startup needs. They know how to approach different types of people to establish a productive process and understand that some people are creative but not very organized.

Jennifer is very professional and everything she does exceeds my expectations.

I can't think of anything.

Overall Score I was fortunate to find her. She keeps me on track and on schedule. We have a very good working relationship.
    She understands my industry and is always pushing me to meet my deadlines.
    They're very affordable for a start-up.
    They produce high-quality work on time.
    I'd highly recommend them to anybody, especially a start-up.

PR & Awareness for Workout Headphones Brand

"Jennifer was able to work magic for us, especially considering our tight budget."

July - Sept. 2015

Cascade Comm & PR provided PR and awareness services to start a Kickstarter campaign. Publications were vetted and pitched in an effort to increase brand presence and garner interest from niche audiences.

Dallas, Texas
Founder, Workout Headphones Company

It was clear that Cascade Comm & PR cared about their work, offering candid advice and excellent service. Cascade was organized and able to maximize a limited budget. The 30-day campaign they executed resulted in over $100,000 of new funds and set a foundation for further investment rounds.

I’m the founder of an active lifestyle brand that develops workout headphones.

What challenge were you trying to address with Cascade Comm & PR?

We were working on a Kickstarter campaign. I needed help with PR efforts and awareness campaigns.

We need to increase our brand awareness as much as possible within our limited budget. Jennifer Fortney (Principal, Cascade Comm & PR) started our Kickstarter campaign by identifying and describing our product and target clientele. She assembled a list of 100 different publications that fit our company. She started pitching our product and brand to a number of publications, garnering interest from various groups.

We set up in-person meetings with interested publications. Meetings were set within a few days of each other, so I could attend most within one trip. The majority of the publications she vetted were in New York. I interviewed with five or six different publications.

I worked directly with Jennifer.

How did you come to work with Cascade Comm & PR?

A friend introduced me to Cascade.

I spent around $10,000–$15,000.

We worked together from July–September 2015.

We launched the Kickstarter campaign in September 2015. Over 30 days, we raised a little over $100,000. A big part of our success came from the work she did upfront that generated people’s interest. People heard about us through the different platforms that we worked with. Jennifer was able to work magic for us, especially considering our tight budget.

How did Cascade Comm & PR perform from a project management standpoint?

Our collaboration was awesome. This was my first experience working with a PR firm tasked with developing traffic and pre-campaign buzz. I’m not organized, but Jennifer was able to keep me on task. This isn’t easy to do, yet she did it well.

Jennifer really cares about her clients and how she represents them. She didn't hesitate to correct my own team members. She wasn’t afraid to say what was on her mind in order to position herself in the right light. She definitely cares about what she does and her reputation, which reflects in her work.

She was determined and spirited, which we really appreciated as a newer company. Working with her was a valuable experience that I won’t forget. Our collaboration was helpful for establishing the foundations for a successful Kickstarter campaign and a later round of investment.

We spent time with great publications. However, there were other publications that weren't available to us that targeted our niche market. She could have focused more on these.

She was very precise with timelines.
    Despite lacking a large budget, we were able to accomplish a lot.
    Jennifer was always available and offered great service. Everything we planned was done.
    I would definitely recommend them.

Public Relations & Online Marketing for Stem Cell Facility

"We’re thrilled to have a website that reflects our vision."

May - Oct. 2017

Cascade Comm & PR reconfigured the marketing strategy of a previous vendor. They optimized web content, ensuring intuitiveness for less tech-savvy users, and improved SEO rankings.

Wichita, Kansas
Candice Bhargava
Marketing Manager, Kansas Regenerative Institute

The new website generated a 60% increase in phone calls within two weeks of launch. Cascade Comm’s team took time to ensure a keen understanding of an unfamiliar market and demonstrated strong leadership. Highly organized, they offered a significantly cheaper rate than the previous vendor.

I’m a registered nurse, consultant, and manager with Kansas Regenerative Institute. We’re a locally owned and operated stem cell facility specializing in regenerative medicine.

What challenge were you trying to address with Cascade Comm & PR?

As part of a smaller metropolitan area, it’s important for us to work with local companies to help our community. While we had an existing relationship with an area marketing team, we needed a company that understood the medical sector well enough to present our business in a way that was unique, while still maintaining the professionalism of a medical facility.

They looked at our existing marketing strategy and immediately identified a few problem areas. In terms of digital marketing, for instance, our previous vendor failed to make our website visible online. While we had paid for this service, Cascade Comm found that users searching for our services were seeing results from nearby cities. Website content was another point of concern.

Jennifer (Founder, Cascade Comm & PR) identified these areas for improvement within two days and then developed a new strategy. As Cascade Comm typically works with non-medical businesses, they were able to apply broad techniques for improving our SEO rankings. They also helped us create rich website content that patients would find intuitive. This was important since our patients are typically older and not necessarily computer-savvy.

After seeing success with the website, we scrapped our entire existing marketing strategy and hired Cascade Comm to take over.

We worked directly with Jennifer.

How did you come to work with Cascade Comm & PR?

We researched a number of local companies, but couldn’t find anyone within our price range. As a startup, cost was an important factor, especially after wasting money on the previous vendor.

I’d known Jennifer for a long time, and while I initially only asked for her advice on handling marketing in-house, I realized that she could tackle our challenges more efficiently and at a competitive price. We decided to hire her and it’s been the best decision.

We spent around $5,000 in total.

We worked together between May–October 2017.

Our new website went live early last fall and we saw dramatic improvement within the first two weeks. We received a 60% increase in phone calls each week, most of which resulted from online searches. Many patients told us they thought we had just opened, proving how ineffective the previous marketing strategies had been.

Patients today are more tech-savvy than they used to be, researching medical issues online. Jennifer was able to zero in on this fact and ensure that our online presence reflected these needs.

How did Cascade Comm & PR perform from a project management standpoint?

Working with Jennifer was effortless compared to the previous vendor. We set up weekly conference calls and she established firm guidelines we needed to follow in order to stay within our timeframe. Pricing was made clear and she remained very prompt.

She also designed the website so that I can make minor changes on my own. This streamlines our efforts, which is important in the medical industry, as things change frequently. The previous vendor charged an hourly rate to make small edits.

While we were initially concerned about hiring a vendor without knowledge of the medical industry, Jennifer proved herself highly capable, which speaks volumes about her work ethic. She took time to understand our unique challenges and her intuitiveness allowed her to grasp the terminology and security issues related to our field.

Jennifer also had no qualms about voicing her opinion. She has excellent leadership qualities and let us know if she thought we were moving in the wrong direction. We were so impressed by Cascade Comm that the hospital we partner with may hire them to redo their marketing, as well.

There’s nothing, as far as I’m concerned.

Overall Score We’re thrilled to have a website that reflects our vision. We have no complaints.
    They stuck to detailed schedules, making it easy for me to follow their guidelines.
    They offered dramatically lower prices than our previous vendor and are worth every penny.
    They were able to effectively redirect our existing marketing campaign.
    They’ve proven themselves capable, so I’d recommend them to any medical entity.

Public Relations for Sensory Developmental Retail Store

"I was amazed by how much exposure Cascade Comm was able to give us for relatively little money."

Cascade Comm & PR provided public relations assistance for a startup retailer. They wrote press releases and got the business featured in a range of media outlets, helping through a number of large transitions.

Ellen Sternweiler
Owner, The Sensory Kids Store

An ideal partner for a startup, Cascade Comm generated excellent exposure at a fraction of the price of larger firms. They have a keen ability to identify a business’s selling points and convey unique messages. They fulfill expectations on schedule and carefully explain their thought process.

I’m the owner of The Sensory Kid Store, which sells sensory developmental and therapy products for individuals with developmental differences. As a product expert, I also provide consulting services and advocacy work for families and individuals with special needs.

What challenge were you trying to address with Cascade Comm & PR?

As a mom of three kids with developmental differences, I opened the first store in the country to serve as an inclusive place for families of children with special needs. I wanted to emphasize our brand’s focus on women and families, so I needed help conveying our unique message and informing the public about our grand opening.

They helped us craft our message and demonstrated a real talent for communicating a concept. They wrote press releases and highlighted our store through newspaper articles, magazines, editorial pieces, and television.

They’ve helped us adjust our message through a number of large transitions. With another approaching, I plan to reach out to Cascade Comm again.

I worked exclusively with Jennifer (President, Cascade Comm & PR).

How did you come to work with Cascade Comm & PR?

I hired her because she was very qualified and offered reasonable prices.

We spent less than $10,000.

Jennifer was worth every penny I spent, which is the main reason I’ve continued to work with her over the years. My husband has worked with large, expensive PR firms and seen far less return on his investment. I was amazed by how much exposure Cascade Comm was able to give us for relatively little money.

How did Cascade Comm & PR perform from a project management standpoint?

I worked very closely with Jennifer. She was attentive, walked me through the process, and accomplished every task as promised.

Jennifer adds an interesting perspective and has a real ability to zero in on the unique selling points of a business. She recognizes what attracts customers and makes them want to enter our store or visit our website. Plus, she has a vast network. She knows who to contact to get our message across.

Jennifer and I haven’t worked together in years, but I never had any complaints. We recently discussed launching a new campaign together.

Overall Score Based on their success, I plan to hire them again in the future.
    They stuck to deadlines and delivered on every promise.
    They offered incredibly reasonable prices, which played a major role in my decision to hire them.

Public Relations for Pet Apparel Startup

"Having totally immersed herself in our company, [the founder] truly understood our product, its value, and our goals."

Apr. 2014 - Dec. 2016

Cascade Comm & PR supported a startup’s marketing and brand recognition efforts via TV, radio, blogs, and magazines. The team assisted with trade shows and wrote executive summaries for potential investors.

Gail Sanders-Luckman
Founder, Kumfy Tailz

Cascade Comm & PR landed 80 media spots within the first year of work, including a nationally broadcast TV show. The founder’s organization and dedication kept efforts focused and on track. The team’s thorough research and targeted strategy yielded a significant increase in brand visibility.

I'm the founder of our company. While we were a startup, we manufactured a product for dogs.

What challenge were you trying to address with Cascade Comm & PR?

This was my first company that sold to the retail market. My prior experience involved launching service companies. At the time, I lacked experience with marketing and PR. We sought a vendor who could both provide those services and instruct us on best practice.

We hired Cascade Comm & PR to spearhead our PR efforts and help us develop executive marketing and business plans. They used several avenues to bolster our brand recognition, including bloggers, magazines, radio, and TV. I was interviewed many times on pet-related radio shows and in print publications.

The team was extremely helpful and knowledgeable. They offered guidance and stewardship with bringing our product to market. Their founder came with me to major trade shows around the country, where she was a tremendous help. In addition, they helped us create executive summaries for potential investors.

Several interns researched and compiled lists of pet bloggers and publications. The founder, Jennifer Fortney, subsequently made contacts with those platforms.

How did you come to work with Cascade Comm & PR?

I took a PR and marketing class with Score, a national organization started by retired executives. Cascade Comm & PR’s founder taught the course. I was very impressed that she wasn't trying to sell us anything. Rather, she provided assistance and guidance to help new companies succeed independently. I made an appointment to meet with her after the course ended, and decided to hire her company.

We had them on a monthly retainer which we eventually reduced. We spent between $10,000 and $20,000 total on their services.

The project began in April 2014 and we worked together through 2016.

Cascade Comm & PR got us 80 media hits within our first year of working together. Notable spots included PetSmart online, and Drs. Foster and Smith, and the nationally broadcast Today Show. We were very impressed with their abilities. Wherever and whenever they could get our name in front of an audience, they did.

I’ve subsequently sold the company, but their work was really incredible. I highly recommend them to any startup, which is their area of specialization. They accommodated our financial constraints inherent to being a new company. Jennifer contributed not only her expertise, but also her time and effort. Having totally immersed herself in our company, she truly understood our product, its value, and what we were trying to do.

How did Cascade Comm & PR perform from a project management standpoint?

They were outstanding. Jennifer was instrumental in keeping us focused and targeted. Her level of discipline definitely came in handy. She kept bringing me back to our message, mission, and focus. Using an organized method helped us define the goals we wanted to accomplish.

I've never worked with different PR firms, but I can't imagine anyone working as closely with us as Jennifer did. She was always on point with our requirements and offered an amazing level of input. I was totally satisfied with the services she provided our company. She was indispensable.

I would be hardpressed to come up with something they could do differently.

Overall Score Having a fabulous product or service is useless if nobody knows about it. They really got our name in front of the world.
    I truly believe they were responsible for getting us off the ground.
    I'm no longer in the industry, but would definitely recommend them to any company, especially startups.