Product Geeks Who Care

CabForward℠​ is a web and mobile application design, development, and training company located in sunny Austin, Texas. We specialize in rugged, user-driven design, test-driven development, and pristine code.

We are trusted by startups and enterprises because of our core expertise in developing rugged high-performance web and mobile applications that are secure, flexible and highly available. Our agile approach to highly collaborative development and continuous delivery makes future expansion and improvements of the application simpler, enabling our customers to respond rapidly to market changes.

Austin, TX
  • CabForward℠
    701 Brazos Street, Suite 1616
    Austin, TX 78701
    512.693.4142

Custom Development for Security Surveillance Provider

"They [CabForward] executed what we had them do flawlessly. It was a good experience, and I would not mind having more projects like that."

The client hired CabForward to assist with their migration to a new system.

Austin Metro Area
Clyde Wilson
Director of IT, Observint Technologies

CabForward pleased the client by completing the project within the allotted timeframe and budget. The agency was recognized for their professionalism and excellent communication. There were no complaints and CabForward is recommended to others.

We're located in Austin, Texas, and we are primarily a security surveillance provider.

What are your position and responsibilities?

I manage three departments: technical support, IT [information technology] infrastructure, and professional services.

What business challenge were you trying to address with CabForward?

Essentially, we had some critical business systems that were outdated. I knew CabForward had some experience working with that particular business component, so I reached out to them. We wanted to migrate to a newer system, to one that wasn't so outdated. They were able to help us with that.

How did you come to work with CabForward?

I was very fortunate to have known about them from my predecessor, but I actually had a couple of additional choices of some other people who my predecessor had worked with as well. When I contacted the people at CabForward, they proved awesome to work with, so I had a pretty high level of confidence that they could get done what we needed them to do.

We've spent somewhere in the range of $10,000 working with CabForward.

We started working with them about three months ago [May 2015]. It was kind of an ad-hoc project, but they completed it before the deadline. I would definitely work with them in the future if I had another project come up.

Could you share any statistics, metrics, or other feedback from this engagement?

The work was done flawlessly. The professionalism was there, and the communication was there. They brought a person onsite who did a terrific job. He kept us abreast of what was going on, and he was phenomenal. Everything got done right, which is the most important thing.

What distinguishes CabForward from other providers?

They were fun to work with. CabForward got the job done on time and on budget, which is the most important thing. We got everything out of the project that we expected.

Is there anything CabForward could have improved or done differently?

They executed what we had them do flawlessly. It was a good experience, and I would not mind having more projects like that.

Custom Development for Management Consulting Firm

"It never felt like we were just a job for them [CabForward]. It felt like they really cared."

The client hired CabForward to create a new version of the software while also fixing and maintaining their current system.

11-50 Eemployees

San Francisco Bay Area
Alexis Phillips
CTO, Team Coaching International

CabForward impresses the client with their excellent performance and exemplary integrity. The agency is enthusiastic about their work and fully committed to the project’s success. CabForward is highly recommended to others.

We're a global training and diagnostic tools company. The diagnostic is in 22 languages, and we have four products. It's a very complicated system that CabForward has been working on.

I am a co-founder and chief operating officer.

What business challenge were you trying to address with CabForward?

We had been working with other programmers, and we were not getting quality work. We kept getting dumped down to the bottom of the line in favor of work for larger companies. Our last programmers put us into a very bad situation.

We've worked most closely with one specific developer at CabForward, and he's one of the smartest people I've ever met. He's figured out ways to make our software work. I think about our software as a horse that's about 23 years old, and he's giving our old horse a new life. He's crafted really good solutions. One of the standout things is that they never tried to up-sell us. I know if they say we need to do something, we need to do it. There's absolute trust. I have so many good things to say about CabForward.

Their director of operations [Susan Mutharia] has been magnificent. She is the one that keeps everybody organized and makes sure that we're all on the same page and that things are getting done. She translates what I need into their language. I get a very positive feeling from CabForward, even from the very first contact. They are going to do what needs to be done. They are going to charge what they are worth but they have integrity. CabForward is not about just snagging money and not producing value, and that means a lot to me.

The other thing is that we're not the largest company in the world, but they treat us as if we were their top client. If we have problems, they prioritize us like we were their most important business. We're not sitting out here twiddling our thumbs for weeks until they decide it's time to get around to us. They're honest, and that also means a lot to me.

CabForward has worked at 12 o'clock at night and during weekends for us. They do whatever it takes to make things right. It's such a pleasure to get to work with a company that leads with integrity.

How did you come to work with CabForward?

I contacted someone I trust and told him I needed to have a company with integrity. He is one of those rare birds who leads with integrity. We were in an emergency with our software not working, and the highest priority for me was to find people who would be professional, have integrity and be committed to us. He gave us two names. I contacted both companies, and it was clear that CabForward was really professional and grounded, and I felt I could trust them.

When we chose them, I went to their website and I saw that they were about creating things right from the start. My only regret was that we didn't start with them. But, we're going to stay with them because I'm not going anywhere. I don't want to make it sound like it's too good to be true but, honestly, I've never had such good customer service experience with such really good people.

What they're doing is they're keeping our old system alive. I'd say that we have spent close to $100,000 working with CabForward. We're so pleased with them that we're now on a $2,500 a month retainer for any customer service or programming issues that occur. I don't want that low price to seem like low value, because they have figured out a way, with our software, to create a special version for us. We're just in the final phases with that. They were able to do things that other people were quoting me much higher prices on.

How has CabForward performed?

I wish that other programming companies would model themselves after CabForward. Believe me, we churned through a lot of programmers, so I've had a lot of experience. With CabForward, it's like going to a whole different level of experience. I was so jaded when I met them, but it's been a very successful partnership.

What distinguishes CabForward from other providers?

I'd say that CabForward's biggest selling point is integrity. I don't know how you market this, but they all have heart. It never felt like we were just a job for them. It felt like they really cared. That's not a common commodity with programmers these days.

CabForward had a commitment to doing the work right, and they also knew that we didn't have a budget to just start over from scratch. So they respected that, waded into the deep—because believe me, it was ugly—and came up with solutions that have kept us up and running. I don't know how long we've been working with them now, but we'll work with them for the rest of our company's life, which hopefully will be forever. CabForward has been pretty remarkable.

Overall Score Absolutely. I wish more companies operated like CabForward. If I could work with a company like this in all aspects of our business, I'd be very happy.
    They even rolled their prices back for us at one point. They've accommodated us.
    They're the best.

Mobile App Development for Food App

"They [CabForward] seem to work well as a team, and they do a nice job of communicating with each other through the different apps they use."

2.0

July 2014 - Ongoing

CabForward’s work for the client began with the building of a minimum viable product and then continued their engagement by providing mobile app development services.

New York Metro Area
Founder, Food App

CabForward contributed quality work to their client’s projects and displayed comprehensive development competence. The client noted that their work came in behind schedule, but praised CabForward for their communication and technical expertise.

Please describe your company.

We are an iPhone app that ends the guessing game of who eats what. We're something that caterers and event planners can use to provide a more personalized and detailed experience that will cut down on food costs and make their businesses more efficient.

What are your role and responsibilities?

I'm the founder.

What was your goal in working with CabForward?

When we first started working with CabForward we were looking to build out a minimum viable product, which in our case was the first edition of our mobile app. It eventually came out in November 2014.

CabForward did mainly mobile app development. Before we got started we did a discovery phase where we talked about the app in detail and did a lot of brainstorming. Once we put all the ideas together, we came back to what we really needed for this version to be as minimal as possible. So, CabForward helped me gain some clarity on what my choices actually were.

What was your process in selecting CabForward?

I found them through a front-end design group. They had worked with CabForward before and recommended them. My early conversations with CabForward were very good and their prices were better. The recommendation helped a lot in making my decision because I really enjoyed working with them.

Can you give a sense of the size of the initiative?

It's gone up to about $100,000 by now.

Do you remember when you started working with them? Are you still working with them?

We started working together in July or August of 2014. As of today I am still working with them.

Do you have any statistics or metrics on the project?

I like all the people on their team. They've had some personnel changes, but the people they've brought on have also been great. They know their stuff and they're easy to communicate with. They don't just speak tech, they speak English as well, which is fantastic.

Is there anything unique about CabForward that really makes them stand out compared to other companies?

It's hard for me to compare them to other IT [information technology] firms because I haven't really done much work with others. They know what they are doing. They are not just faking it until they make it. They have people with many years of experience. They seem to work well as a team, and they do a nice job of communicating with each other through the different apps they use.

They're not just winging it, and almost nothing falls through the cracks, which is great. But, if they do make a mistake, if by chance something does fall through the cracks, they'll take care of it immediately with no charge to me. So, I appreciate them taking responsibility for their very few mistakes.

The biggest drawback is that projects have not come in on time. The project we started last summer and fall was supposed to be ready in October, and it was not ready until the day before Thanksgiving. We really wanted to have a nice rollout in advance of Thanksgiving, and a day before was not helpful. So, after that original version came out, we did a bunch of testing on our end, and we noticed some design flaws. So, we had to correct those flaws and then redevelop the app, which is what we're currently doing.

What advice would you give a future client of theirs?

I'd say not to worry about their knowledge base or the people who are doing the work. They do excellent work. They respond thoughtfully. If you run into a wall they will suggest alternatives, which I always appreciated. I personally don't have the knowledge base to come up with alternatives, but they do, and they do a good job of coming up with them and making them happen relatively quickly when they're on it, which is great.

I would advise people that you have to stay on top of them. If you want things to get done on time, you have to touch base with these guys fairly frequently. No one's perfect, but they really do good work. Will they be on time? Will they do it within budget?. Maybe – not always. I wish they could do a better job of that, but, in spite of all this, you're going to be happy with the product.

Overall Score You want people who do good work, people you enjoy working with. They are relatively easy to work with but, at the end of the day, that's not going to make up for constantly running over since there's no penalty for those kinds of things.
    I give people an idea of what they're capable of, which is that they do excellent work. It really kind of depends on what their needs are....if they're on a tight budget, and they have something to be done in two weeks, this isn't the firm for them.

Mobile App Development for Communication Tool

"I couldn't be happier with the performance of Shuffle. ... The feedback is great, and they're [CabForward] easy to talk to."

The client hired CabForward to handle the entire development of their iOS app which included discovery, integration, and the final delivery of the workable solution.

British Columbia, Canada
Craig Collett
Founder, Shuffle

CabForward contributed to a successful app. The agency performed well by providing top-quality coding with no errors or issues. The client had particularly high praise for CabForward’s transparency and commitment to keeping them apprised.

Please give a brief description of your company.

Shuffle's focus is "smart" communication solutions that allow users more flexibility on a single device with multiple contact points while protecting their personal privacy.

What is your role at the company?

I am the founder and CEO.

What was the business challenge that you were trying to address when you approached CabForward?

I was looking for a reputable company that can deliver top quality work at an affordable price.

What were your company's business goals for the project?

We wanted to develop and deliver an iOS version of Shuffle for the U.S. and Canadian market.

Can you talk about the scope of the project?

The scope covers the entire development process. From initial discovery and integration with the Twilio back-end to final delivery of a workable solution to meet the requirements stipulated in the specification document provided.

What was your process for selecting CabForward with which to work?

We had various Skype conference calls with the CEO and the team that would work on Shuffle.

Can you give us a sense of the size of the project in dollar terms or personnel work hours?

Costs relating to development only is roughly $180,000 to date. I'm not able to provide work hours.

When was the project completed?

Completion of the "going live" version was May 5 [2015]. We're working on and update where we're polishing the UI [user interface] – due May 22.

What were the results of the project, and are there any metrics you can share?

Results were great. We're well on track to go above 5,000 by the end of this week. More detailed metrics will be available after the first 30 days.

How did CabForward perform?

[CabForward] provided top-quality coding and a very stable product. I couldn't be happier with the performance of Shuffle.

When working with them, was there anything unique or special about them compared to other companies that you may have worked with?

This is the first development company I worked with so I can't compare. I enjoyed the process they followed in terms of keeping the client informed on developer activity.

Looking back on the project, is there any area that they could improve or you would do differently?

I would suggest the project management area needs a little refining. Other than that, [they did an] awesome job and were great to work with.

What advice would you give to a future client of theirs?

Set clear milestones, and interact with the developers. The feedback is great, and they're easy to talk to.