We ship high quality products people love.

Brewhouse Software is a product and design studio based out of Vancouver, Canada. Our team is made up of expert designers, developers, and product leaders, with experience varying from enterprises to startups.

We believe creating digital products is a craft - like brewing that perfect cup of coffee from well-sourced beans. So we devote the same attention to the process, as the final product.

We partner with businesses to create well-loved prducts, bringing impactful ideas to reality. We provide you with a dedicated team solely focused on working with you to iteratively design your product in a flexible, transparent, and thoughtful process.

We'd love to discuss how our process can help your idea become a reality.

• #303 - 210 Carrall Street

• Retarget Links
  • Contour
  • lenDesk
  • Sutton Realty
  • many more startups in stealth/pre-launch

Rails-developed Prototype for Marketing Firm

"[They] put a lot of business logic into their work, helping me refine the overall strategy for my company."

Mar. 2015 - Jan. 2015

BrewHouse software provided custom Ruby on Rails-based development to create a minimum viable product. This included custom UI/UX, backend development, and quality assurance.

CEO

The product created by BrewHouse was able to bring in over $500,000. Their outstanding project management skills meant that they not only delivered on time and on budget, but gave extremely valuable strategic input. The partnership is ongoing as updates and new projects are in the pipeline.

AdLinks is a banner ad targeting service.

I am the founder and CEO of the company.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Brewhouse Software?

I needed help in creating a minimum viable product in order to get my company started. It provided a basis on which I was able to raise money and build my team.

Please describe the scope of their involvement.

Brewhouse Software developed my first prototype using the Ruby on Rails framework. It works strictly as a web-based solution. The technology was recommended by them, but I've used Ruby for other projects in the past. Their development team consisted of two developers and one UI [user interface] designer. I interacted with them directly.

We're also working on a standalone service called Free Banner Maker. The development will start a month from now and is expected to last for two months. Brewhouse Software will be assisting me in making the requirements for the project. I like the way in which they work, and they provide very good ideas.

How did you come to work with Brewhouse Software?

I had the option of working with one of three companies in Vancouver. I chose Brewhouse Software because their owner had experience in working with bit.ly. Our system is based on URL shorteners, so this was an important factor.

The development of our prototype had a cost of $50,000.

The project started in March 2015 and was completed in June.

I have been able to raise $500,000 thanks to the work done by Brewhouse Software. Without a minimum viable product, I would never have been able to do this. We already have customers on board and are working on creating a team of four full-time employees for AdLinks. We did experience some bugs, but nothing out of the ordinary.

How did Brewhouse Software perform from a project management standpoint?

The most amazing part of working with them was that, even though they are on the expensive side, they commit to staying within the budget and the allotted time.

We used Pivotal Tracker for project management. We'd used it before and Brewhouse Software was flexible in terms of what tool would be adopted for the project.

What distinguishes Brewhouse Software from other providers?

They know what they're doing and put a lot of business logic into their work, helping me refine the overall strategy for my company. Brewhouse Software helped me figure out the subscription model for my service, how many free credits I should give, and other things I wouldn't expect engineers to do.

I also liked that they put themselves in the shoes of our customers, providing some insight into developing the right kind of product.

Rails Developed MVP for Real Estate Startup

"They've done an amazing job of recruiting talented people within their team."

BrewHouse Software provided development services to create a minimum viable product. This Ruby on Rails-based project was designed as a backend accounting platform and included a custom UI and visual design.

Sasha Hryciuk
Founder & CEO at Loft47

BrewHouse’s work was instrumental to the design and refinement of this MVP. They did an fantastic job communicating technical issues to staff members and conducted themselves in a trustworthy, reliable way. They also assisted in hiring internal staff, but will continue to provide support.

We are a technology services company that has built an accounting back-end platform for real estate companies. We supply real estate services based on our platform.

I am the founder of the company.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Brewhouse Software?

I needed the technical abilities necessary for developing a minimum viable product as well as building an in-house technical team.

Please describe the scope of their involvement.

Brewhouse Software has built our platform and they've helped us hire in-house resources to assume responsibility for our tech projects. They developed our software using Ruby on Rails with Riak. The choice of technology was made at their recommendation. Brewhouse Software is inclined towards using Ruby.

They provided us with one developer and a product manager who helped define the scope and iteration goals of the project. Their director was also involved in the process. Brewhouse Software was also involved in the visual design and branding elements of the platform.

How did you come to work with Brewhouse Software?

I have known Kalvir [Sandhu], their director, for a few years. Having worked alongside him in the past, I've gained a lot of trust and respect for him. I did interview a couple of other shops but, ultimately, chose Brewhouse Software because of their excellent team of developers and our personal relationship.

The total development cost has been around $120,000.

The project took 20 weeks to complete. Defining a minimum viable product scope was a challenge. We had basic goals that weren't completely met at the end of the initial 12 weeks set as the deadline, largely due to complexity and changing requirements. We extended the development without this having a negative impact on the development itself.

The platform is in its minimal state right now. There hasn't been significant interaction with it yet. From my own perspective, I can say that every requirement that was written in our scope was implemented accurately. Every feature that was developed for it was done very well. Out of approximately 20 items submitted each week, I would reject only one, on average.

The hiring process in which Brewhouse Software assisted us led to a couple of referrals and the hiring of one developer who is still working for us. It was successful, but I couldn't actually hire directly through them. They helped me vet a couple of people.

How did Brewhouse Software perform from a project management standpoint?

They were very good from a project management perspective. I found that Brewhouse Software was very good in collaborating with nontechnical clients. They explained to me what one-week iterations meant and helped me not dive down too deep into the process.

What distinguishes Brewhouse Software from other providers?

They've done an amazing job of recruiting talented people within their team.They've done an amazing job of recruiting talented people within their team. The thing I most liked about their company is that they gave us access to an array of professionals who we didn't have to recruit individually. I didn't have to find my own brand designer, for example.

Is there anything Brewhouse Software could have improved or done differently?

We recently talked about working on a longer, open-ended engagement, for which one-week iterations wouldn't make sense. From this perspective, Brewhouse Software should consider adapting their work style to different business models.

Overall Score I'm a big fan of their company.
    Their cost is high, but they bring value with it. Brewhouse Software delivers code quickly and at a high quality.

Rails Developed Platform for Business Services Startup

"I haven't had many other projects go as smoothly as this one."

BrewHouse Software provided custom development services to create a platform to conenct medical cannabis producers and retailers. This Ruby on Rails-based project included custom UI/UX design and QA.

Alexander Close
Product Manager at Tantalus Labs

BrewHouse employed an agile, meticulous approach to development. The product is currently in Beta testing but has been well received and praised as beautifully designed, and their quality and smooth project management have made them worth the price.

Tantalus Labs is a late-stage Marijuana for Medical Purposes Regulations [MMPR] applicant based in Vancouver, Canada. We produce, cultivate, and sell commercial cannabis. Our facility on the outskirts of Vancouver has been in development for two and a half years. We produce medical cannabis with a sun-powered methodology. Our team is composed of twelve people, some of which have a technological background.

I am a co-founder and creative director of the company.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Brewhouse Software?

We've always looked for other projects that we could build within the industry. One of them was a software platform that could connect commercial producers and retailers. This is the reason we contracted Brewhouse Software's services.

Please describe the scope of their involvement.

Brewhouse Software helped us bring our idea to reality. They developed our software using Ruby on Rails. We deployed the code through Heroku and our database was PostgreSQL. They also worked on the design of the app.

They assigned one designer and two developers for our project. We consider this software to be a side-project that we're undertaking while we build our main infrastructure. I acted as the creative director for it, but I was also its project manager. I worked directly with the project manager from Brewhouse Software.

We had daily stand-up meetings during our ten weeks of development. We interacted directly with them on a daily basis through Google Hangouts. We also used Slack for internal communication. In the context of the project, we've had three or four face-to-face meetings with them.

How did you come to work with Brewhouse Software?

We interviewed a number of companies, going down the process of what we were actually trying to build. They were referred to us by a local investor. We asked for the three best software development shops in the area. One of them was Brewhouse Software. They stood out as the best among all our choices.

The development cost was between $50-100,000.

The project took around ten weeks to complete, from the moment when we had our initial idea. The platform was completed at the end of October of 2015.

At the moment, it is in beta phase. It's being used by friends and family in Washington who provide feedback, which we will use for the next iteration of development. Brewhouse Software was responsible for completing our minimum viable product [MVP].

The design of the app stood out. Brewhouse Software provided a designer which took part in the project for eight of its ten-week runtime. The first demos we gave of the platform returned many positive comments on its design. It works well across multiple devices.

A friend reviewed the codebase created by Brewhouse Software. He said that it was top-notch.

How did Brewhouse Software perform from a project management standpoint?

One thing in which they stand out is transparency. At the onset of the project, we set up communication channels through Slack, as well as a schedule for chatting every morning over Google Hangouts. They also opened up their codebase. Having a bit of a technical background, I was able to pull code daily and see what they were working on. Brewhouse Software almost emphasized over-communication and transparency in what they were doing. This was great for me, as a client. I could see every step they took, down to the last minute.

What distinguishes Brewhouse Software from other providers?

Transparency was a big factor that really stood out. Another important point is that they specialize in Agile development, which is very similar to the Ruby on Rails framework. Brewhouse Software set out weekly sprints, focusing on what we need to do within the immediate future, versus looking at the big deliverable. Because we had beta testers and friends to look at the software, we could easily iterate our new ideas. I'm sure that Brewhouse Software could tailor their offerings to bigger projects, but they fit well with startups through their flexibility in testing ideas.

Is there anything Brewhouse Software could have improved or done differently?

At the end of the project, we invited their team to our offices and reviewed the project, looking at what went well and what didn't. It was a difficult session on both sides because we couldn't find any cons or things to improve. This mostly defeated its purpose. Brewhouse Software discussed how timeframes are always an issue, with regards to moments in which they worked on tasks that could have been eliminated. I didn't see anything like this from my side. Everything that they set out to do each day got done. If they spent a couple of extra hours in the office working on something, it wasn't something I'd have noticed. I haven't had many other projects go as smoothly as this one.

Overall Score The collaboration was great, and I enjoyed their Christmas party.
    I was made aware of everything that went on through our morning standups. They did everything that they promised.
    They are one of the most expensive shops, but we got what we paid for.
    I have recommended them.