Inspired. Digital.

Blue Water is a full service digital agency that works with clients as partners and users as our focus. Our client list is diverse, which enables us to leverage a broad knowledge base to solve our clients challenges with digital tranformation, audience segmentation, and personalized experiences that move the needle in a meaningful way for federal government, fortune 500 companies, and leading associations.

We work in small cross-functional teams delivering converged data, technology, ux/creative, and marketing solutions that result in memorable customer experiences.

2001

The Boston Red Sox

Merck Pharmaceuticals

Sysco

Web Development for Accounting Firm

"They have brought a lot of value to how we deliver to our clients."

2013 - Ongoing

Blue Water assists with the design and user experience aspects of product development. The agency contributes resources to support, development, and quality assurance as needed.

New York City Metro Area
Manager, Accounting Firm

Blue Water produces modern, professional-looking Web apps that receive positive feedback from their earliest users. Project management is a strength of the agency’s. Blue Water’s staff is accessible, responsive, and especially skilled in design and user experience.

My organization is a large accounting firm.

I am a manager.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Blue Water?

We had won a project with a federal client who needed to build a series of web applications, and we realized pretty early on that we would need help from an outside company that understood marketing and design. We specifically were seeking out someone with expertise in the design and user experience aspects of product development.

We've been working with Blue Water for three and a half years on this contract. They have three full-time employees that support us, two developers, and one quality assurance tester. They also provide us with a user experience specialist on an as-needed basis, and I interact directly with a project manager.

How did you come to work with Blue Water?

We were looking for a partner that had a strong presence, strong brand, and design capabilities. We were very impressed with the work that Blue Water had done for a mutual client, and we invited them to participate in our RFP [request for proposal]. They and two other companies bid to join the project, and they won.

Their subcontract to us is $250,000 and above.

We began working with Blue Water in 2013, and they continue to be an important part of our team. We have gone through several iterations of this contract with the same client, and we are currently slated to go through July 2017.

My team has marketed what we've done for our client internally, and we've received very positive feedback from that. Many people comment on how professional our web applications look, which is a testament to Blue Water's skill level. They have brought us some good ideas and great designs that have caught the eyes of both our clients and other people within our company.

How did Blue Water perform from a project management standpoint?

They use Basecamp as their project management tool, which has worked out well. They also provided a project manager for the engagement who is ultimately responsible for the overall quality they deliver. We have a standing meeting every week where we talk about how the team is doing and feeling. From a project management standpoint, they certainly know what they're doing, and they've done all the right things.

What distinguishes Blue Water from other providers?

The talent that Blue Water has on the design side of the house is their specialty. They have some folks who understand visual appeal and how to pull out a professional website or web application. Their user experience side has some very talented people that have brought us good ideas, and they've helped us add structure to how we approach engaging our users. They have a formal process that they use, Rapid UX, which we have since adopted ourselves. They have brought a lot of value to how we deliver to our clients.

Is there anything Blue Water could have improved or done differently?

They are a smaller business, so occasionally there are challenges with staffing. If we need an additional resource from them without giving several weeks' notice, it can be problematic. If they could operate in a way that allows them to deliver resources more readily, that would be helpful. That's the only thing that comes to mind, otherwise, I've had a very positive experience with them.

Overall Score – They are very collaborative, and they are wonderful hosts. They pull out all the stops, and they're always willing and wanting to chat through things.
    – We use agile on our project, so we don't necessarily have very strict deadlines.
    – I am not the most well versed on what a designer should cost, but I find the rates to be reasonable for the quality and value that they deliver.
    – There's always room to be better.
    – I have served as a reference for them more times than I can count on my two hands. I think very highly of them.

Web Redesign for Legal Firm

"I would highly recommend Blue Water for their overall expertise, and particularly their user experience and analysis."

Oct. 2014 - Sep. 2015

Blue Water took charge of a full site redesign using the Sitefinity platform. The agency utilized an evaluation of the former website’s analytics to offer valuable feedback for the new site.

Washington DC Metro Area
Tanya Hatton
Special Projects Manager, Public Defender Service

Blue Water understood the project’s goals and intended outcomes and delivered a website that achieved them. Management of the technical aspects of the engagement left room for improvement, but Blue Water’s design and user experience skills produced excellent results.

My organization provides and promotes quality legal representation and services to indigent clients in the District of Columbia.

I am the Special Projects Manager.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Blue Water?

We needed to redesign our website, improve its navigation and functionality, and rethink how we wanted to position content for our target audiences.

The Blue Water team was involved in all aspects of the site redesign. Working with our preferred software platform, Sitefinity, Blue Water developed a plan of action and guided us through the process of creating our new website. A very helpful service was that they evaluated the website analytics of our former website and provided us with feedback that aligned with what we believed about our audiences. It was great to have that validation before going forward with a new design. From there, Blue Water Media worked with us to create a modern and artistic design for the site that was in line with our vision. They then worked on the back-end in Sitefinity to create the site and its different modules.

How did you come to work with Blue Water?

I knew what the requirements were going to be for the project, so I went on the internet and searched “web design firms.” I was looking for a full-service firm that had both the design and technical experience to handle our project. I came across Blue Water Media and thoroughly reviewed their capabilities.  I was quite impressed, so we sent them, and a few other vendors, our RFP.  Our evaluation team felt Blue Water was best qualified to do the job, and the price was right.

The project officially began on October 1, 2014, and ended in September 2015. Thereafter, we had a debugging phase and a small maintenance contract in order to allow time for our IT team to get up to speed with the site. We have now taken complete ownership of the site

Our priority was not to increase leads or sales because we are a service-oriented organization. Before this project began, we were already the first search result for anyone familiar with the work of our organization. I think it will take about a year for us to be certain of any changes that have come as a result of the site (due to traffic related to curiosity and ongoing updates and training), but as long as we continue to address the needs of our target populations, we are happy.

How did Blue Water perform from a project management standpoint?

I adored working with our project manager, and the Blue Water team was very strong on design and user experience, but I felt they could have better managed the technical aspects of the project.

What distinguishes Blue Water from other providers?

The Blue Water team understood our vision and they delivered—we love the website! I was extremely impressed with their design and user experience teams.

Is there anything Blue Water could have improved or done differently?

The management of the technical aspects of the site was a rough road, at times. There were some realignments within their company after our project, so this may have been an isolated situation.  Blue Water is an impressive company, but the tech team was struggling during our engagement.

Overall Score While the strengths were strong and I really enjoyed the personalities, the problems on the tech side were frustrating at times—I believe the technical management issues are now resolved.
    For the most part, we were on track with plans.
    We accomplishment most of our goals within budget.
    A quality website design firm—they have great personalities and offer beautiful designs and useful user experience analysis.
    I would highly recommend Blue Water for their overall expertise, and particularly their user experience and analysis, web metrics, and design skills, which I believe to be their strengths.