New York City's top digital product agency

Gold

Blue Label Labs is a 64-person digital product development agency based in New York City with offices in Seattle and San Francisco.

Over at the past 10 years, we have built and transformed over 300 businesses through strategy, design and development.

Our client ranges from startup entrepreneurs to Fortune 500s. We’re in the business of building the right product, not just any product. The right product is built by bringing together the expertise of the client, our own Product knowledge, and iterative customer feedback.

New York, NY
  • 175 Varick Street
    New York, NY 10014
  • 8201 164th Street, Suite 200
    Redmond, WA 98052
  • 655 Montgomery St, 7th Fl
    San Francisco, CA 94111

Bloomberg News; Fender; PayPal; United Nations; iHeart Media; Major League Baseball Player's Association; El Dorado Airport App; Hello Sitter; Magic Money; Muncheez; HowUdish

Overview

Hyer Case Study

Columbia University's Love My Heart Case Study

Fourty Five Ten & Joule Hotel Case Study

iOS App Development for BabyMed

"They understand what is going on, and they are extremely professional."

Blue Label Labs completely updated a medical advocacy company's older website and iOS app, taking responsibility for design elements and updating features as needed.

Dr. Amos Grunebaum
Founder, BabyMed

Reviews for the app were excellent, and Blue Label Labs was able to incorporate user suggestions to make it even better. The team greatly exceeded all expectations, and their fresh, independent thinking was a unique asset throughout the project.

Please describe your company.

We have a website that takes care of women who are trying to get pregnant. We use Blue Label to do the website for us.

What is your role and responsibilities?

I am the founder of the company. I am also a physician, the director of obstetrics at a hospital.

What was your goal for working with Blue Label Labs?

We previously had an app and showed it to Blue Label. We wanted to update and modernize it. Our schedule was to start with a basic app and add modules to it to make it grow. It is for iOS, iPhone.

The scope was to meet with Blue Label to give them the outline for the app. I gave them mathematical formulas and outlines on how to develop the app. They came up with some recommendations, which we discussed and implemented. Then, they designed the app from the bottom up.

What was your process for selecting Blue Label Labs to work with?

We looked online for a small-sized company that already had developed some apps, but not a huge company where I wouldn’t know whom I was talking to. I wanted to be able to talk to somebody in real time since we’re located in New York.

The project was performed in phases. The initial expense was in the $10,000 to $20,000 range. It was initially a small project, and when we added pieces, they charged us by the addition. It was very reasonable.

When was the latest milestone completed for that work?

The project is still ongoing. It’s a never-ending story. They completed the initial project in time. We started with putting the app in the App Store in October of 2013. They were done within the deadline, upgraded it, and we’ve continued to upgrade it with add ons.

Do you have any statistics or metrics to track improvement from the project?

We received very good recommendations online, and the reviews were excellent. Blue Label were very receptive to reviews and made changes to improve it even more.

How did Blue Label Labs perform?

Blue Label performed beyond expectations. They are very smart. They understand what is going on, and they are extremely professional. They are professional beyond what I have seen in anybody else.

They are very smart, and they can come up with their own ideas. They think independently for people who do this kind of development. I’ve been doing this for more than 10 years. If I ask them to do something, and it won’t work, they will tell me before they do it. They are wonderful. They deserve any success that they can get and want.

Not at all. They’re as good as I want them to be.

They’re wonderful, and anybody who wants to do an app should be as lucky.

Design and Development for Social Networking App

"We're very happy with the work. The two teams worked very well together."

Sept. 2013 - Feb. 2014

Blue Label Labs designed and developed the front-end of a social network's core iOS app.

Co-Founder, Social Networking App

Blue Label Labs stood out from the competition because of their understanding of what the project was meant to achieve. They were highly professional and personally involved throughout the process, taking the initiative to fix problems as they arose.

Please describe your company.

We are a social network called Skycheckin Team. We used Blue Label Labs to do the frontend development.

I am the co-founder.

What was your goal for working with Blue Label Labs?

We briefed them on what we needed, and they gave us some screen shots of what the app could be. We continued talking about it until we found something we both agreed on. Our main concerns were how fast and efficient it would be.

My partner developed the whole backend that communicates with the app, and Blue Label developed the front end and the design of the app.

What was your process for selecting Blue Label Labs to work with?

It was random. I was looking for a company online and wanted someone who wasn’t too expensive or too cheap, either. Blue Label was in the middle, and I decided to contact them.

From the time we started the project until it was available on the App Store was about six months. We adapted some features, too. When they gave us the first shot of the app, we thought there were some options we should change. In terms of money, it was about $15,000.

When was the latest milestone completed for that work?

The soft launch was this week so February of 2014.

Do you have any statistics or metrics to track improvement from the project?

Not yet. It's too early. We're very happy with the work. The two teams worked very well together.

How did they perform overall?

We're very satisfied. They understood our project and the purpose of our app. We met some other people who submitted proposals for the app, but they didn’t really get the feeling of what we wanted. They were very involved and fixed the bugs by themselves without us needing to tell them all the bugs. They gave us updated versions of the app, and they worked from that. It was very professional.

This was my first app, so I can’t compare them to other firms. We had a good relationship. We met the whole team and had a soft launch party. If we need to do more, we will go through them.

I would say the time frame could improve. We are happy the way it is, but perhaps it could have taken a month less overall.

iOS App for Mobile Startup

"I can’t say enough about how happy I was with Blue Label Labs."

Blue Label Labs designed and developed a holding company's iOS app for multiple versions. They will likely build an Android app in the future.

CEO, Mobile Startup

Blue Label Labs designed a functional, well-designed product that the internal team loved. They were professional and extremely helpful during the development process, offering insights on design, programming, and marketing. Their project management was also clear and organized.

Please describe your company.

Fest is a holding company that I incorporated several months ago. We have produced one app so far. We're an app startup.

What is your role and responsibilities?

I’m the founder and CEO of the company.

What was your goal for working with Blue Label Labs?

We were looking for the technical proficiency that we were lacking. We're mostly humanities- and business-based, but not as technically savvy. Blue Label Labs was great about the technical side. I had seen some of their previous work, and it seemed like it was compatible. I thought there were a lot of features that translated well into what I was trying to build. That held true throughout the process; they had a good grasp on the area and they were very insightful. I had a complicated vision going into the project, and they helped me simplify a lot of things, based on their experience in the field.

Which platform did you use to develop the platform?

The app was developed on iOS. We're in the process of talking about converting it for Android. If I do that, I think I'll go back and do it with Blue Label Labs since it's much easier.

In addition to app development, Blue Label Labs has been very helpful in support. I didn’t do any tech training through them. I’m taking classes right now. They were completely in charge of the design element, from creating the basic templates and logos for the business, which we're still using, to designing the app, the color scheme, and so on. We've been through several iterations, and they’ve been very helpful.

What was your process for selecting Blue Label Labs to work with?

My personal process is long and drawn out, looking for the right technical partner who can be supportive and insightful. I found them by going to a few tech startup meetings around the city. One day, I found a huge roster of people who were attending them, what their titles were, and so on. That’s how I found Blue Label Labs. I made a list and narrowed it down based on what they had done before in conversations that I had with them. They were the best, they were nearby, they were relatively well-priced, and they had good experience in the field.

The cost was between $10,000 and $20,000.

When was the latest milestone completed for that work?

The app was launched in late 2013, but we updated it a few times based on bug fixes. That work is ongoing, and they’ve been helpful about maintaining the app and fixing any problems that we’ve had with it. It's been great so far.

What were the results of the project?

I’m very happy with the outcome of the project and with the product itself. It's very clean, simple, and well designed. Functionally, it's very sound. I think they were very professional and helpful along the way. They offered a lot of insights about things I wouldn’t have seen myself from different perspectives from design, programming, marketing, across the board. They performed above and beyond. I can’t say enough about how happy I was with Blue Label Labs.

I was especially impressed with how their people on the technical side of things are normally personality-deficient. Their group was definitely the opposite. My project manager was very outgoing, easy to talk to, very responsive in terms of email, communication, and text messaging. That sealed the deal since he was someone that I could talk to who could talk to me beyond the technical issues.

There were some normal time issues, and there were additional costs, which always happens, so I can’t hold that against them. Most of that was my doing or hesitancy.

I have in the past, and I will in the future.

Gold