Social Media Marketing to Millennials

Blue Bear Creative is a Denver-based social media agency focused on increasing revenue for food and beverage brands looking to sell to millennials.

Denver, CO
Headquarters
  • Blue Bear Creative | Social Media Agency
    1221 Auraria Pkwy
    Denver, CO 80204
    719.287.8945

SMM for Burger Chain

"Within the first year, we had over 200% growth on our Instagram channel."

Dec. 2015 - Ongoing

Blue Bear Creative was hired to provide social media management and content creation.

Denver, Colorado
Hailey Stratton
Social Media & Marketing Coordinator, Smashburger

The client has seen an impressive uptick in engagement on its social media channels. Their Instagram has grown over 200%, their Snapchat reached 10,000 followers, and one of their hashtag campaigns had 9,000 submissions. They were happy with the agency's ability to make changes if needed.

Smashburger is a fast-casual burger chain with 350 locations. I was the social media coordinator when I worked there.

What challenge were you trying to address with Blue Bear Creative?

We wanted to target millennials in our social media efforts and we knew that Blue Bear Creative had a specialty in that area.

Blue Bear Creative helped with everything, from brainstorming campaigns to content creation. They were responsible for shooting videos, taking pictures, editing pictures, creative graphics, writing copy, launching campaigns, building websites, etc. They’re a well-rounded social media company that can do a little bit of everything. They helped us with Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and Snapchat. We had everything outlined in our initial contract that included how many pictures they would provide each month, how many Snapchat stories, and how often they would need to review our copy.

For Snapchat, we would brainstorm together and then they would build it out. After we approve it, they would shoot and then make it live. For the other platforms, they would send me all the copy and creative elements, then and I would post content online. The videos started out with Snapchat, then they moved to 30-second videos that were used on Instagram. We also did some animated and live videos that were 1 minute long; we used those for YouTube. We gave them direction on the videos. Blue Bear would write the storyboard, we would approve it, and then they shot the video. They were great at GIF-style videos.

How did you come to work with Blue Bear Creative?

We connected with them because they were an agency out of Colorado. We talked to a lot of social media companies.

How much have you invested with Blue Bear Creative?

We spent under $60,000 per year on their services.

The work is ongoing.

Within the first year, we had over 200% growth on our Instagram channel. We launched with them on Snapchat and did a couple of campaigns that helped us get over 10,000 followers. Our hashtag campaign had over 9,000 submissions. It was neat to see the transformation of our photos, copy, and videos and having a more cohesive social media across all channels. I was very happy working with them.

How did Blue Bear Creative perform from a project management standpoint?

I was in charge of project management and they followed the agenda I created. They were good at meeting deadlines without us having to push them. We had a short turnaround time, which Blue Bear was able to meet. If there was something we didn’t like about their work, they were always good at taking feedback and fixing it.

What did you find most impressive about Blue Bear Creative?

If there’s something that’s not in their wheelhouse, they find a way to make it happen. There’s nothing they can’t do from a social media and digital standpoint. They have a great background in PR and can help with fresh, millennial-focused ideas. We had a great experience working with them. I would love to work with them where I’m currently employed.

Are there any areas Friendemic could improve?

Overall Score They are awesome.
    They always executed our goals in a timely manner.
    It was excellent.
    It was excellent.
    I would definitely do so.

Marketing Strategy and Branding for Restaurant Chain

"Blue Bear Creative have truly been an extra arm of our marketing department."

Oct. 2016 - Ongoing

Blue Bear Creative developed a marketing strategy to consolidate the brand messaging throughout various restaurant franchise locations.

Denver, Colorado
Jodi Boyce
VP of Marketing, Teriyaki Madness

Blue Bear Creative's work has been well received by all franchises, and it has helped to increase their email databases by up to 20% in certain locations.

Teriyaki Madness is a franchise. We have about 37 open locations with a fast casual Asian fusion concept stemming from Seattle-style teriyaki. I’m VP of Marketing here.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Blue Bear Creative?

We’re pretty small. Our main strategy, not having a very large budget, is to use digital and social to help build our email and text databases so that we can not only grow awareness but talk directly to the customers.

Basically, I went to them just for overall help on the strategy and consolidating. They were one of the first ones I called to help with overall strategy knowing I don’t have a very large budget to work with and consolidating what’s out there for 37 locations which have been doing this on their own. There is not a very consistent brand message, there is not consistent posting, replying to comments, and we didn’t have a very good corporate Facebook and Instagram presence. One of the main things that they did was help with the structure on the back end and get everything under one corporate umbrella, change some of the settings so that franchisees can still supplement content and they can still post, but they’re not the admin of their sites anymore. They are helping us with the social strategy, content, and overall structure of how we implement our social policies.

We are doing photography with them for content. Blue Bear is also posting content. They’re monitoring the page. They’re also doing a bunch of paid promotions as well. Very specifically, we’re trying to push messages like gluten-free in certain markets where we’ve launched it. We’re also trying to build our email database; they have strategies on how to go about instead of just offering a coupon, getting someone to do a quick entry of their email to capture that to get the coupon.

How did you come to work with Blue Bear Creative?

I just started here a couple of months ago. I’ve worked with Blue Bear at Smashburger as well, so I’ve already known their work a little bit.

How much have you invested with Blue Bear Creative?

We’ve spent $50,000.

We’ve been working since October 2016 and its ongoing.

Not only are we getting really positive feedback from the franchisees, which is really important, but a lot of them are just happy that we took it off their plate. Even though some are really active and can still supplement the content and post themselves to make it local, a lot of them are relieved. Then as far as the tests that we’ve done in growing our emails, in Austin we grew our email database by 20% already. That’s going to continue to grow obviously, but so far we’re seeing some really positive quick results, which is great.

How did Blue Bear Creative perform from a project management standpoint?

They’re awesome. They’re easy to get a hold of. They send over the calendar for approval, I give my input, and then they are really quick to respond to anything

What distinguishes Blue Bear Creative from other providers?

They are millennials talking to millennials. That’s their motto, too, but they just get it whereas some other agencies I have worked with are trying to go back and learn it since social and digital is still fairly new in the world of marketing. It’s just nice because they just live it every day. I feel like Alex, the owner, is always learning. He’s always out finding out what the latest things are on the way that Facebook targets or posts or whatever, so he’s always suggesting new things that we can try and test for a really low cost

Is there anything Blue Bear Creative could have improved or done differently?

Not yet. I have no negative comments to say about them. Blue Bear Creative have truly been an extra arm of our marketing department. We’re really small, so I lean on them a lot, and they definitely have gone above and beyond as far as just helping beyond what we’re paying them. They know the situation we’re in.