BIGfish PR makes your story impossible to ignore.

BIGfish provides PR & digital media services for disruptive brands, companies and ideas. We are an award-winning innovation and tech PR agency that helps our clients redefine industries through thoughtful storytelling and strategic campaigns. By integrating traditional PR with digital media and marketing support, we capture greater mindshare and market share for our clients.

Our focus areas are: tech, innovation, energy, mobile and travel and these are a few of the services we offer:

Media Relations - Experienced media relations practitioners know that the news media cannot be controlled, but it can be managed. While journalists have the ultimate say over which stories warrant news coverage, our team maintains close relationships with the press to stay up-to-date on their reporting and ensure we’re bringing the right stories with the right information to the right contacts. We have a deep understanding of how the news cycle works and place great importance on maximizing each media opportunity for our clients.

Strategy & Planning - A successful public relations campaign starts with a clear, thoughtful strategy that supports your company’s business objectives. Tapping into our extensive PR experience, we analyze your brand, industry, competitors and the overall news climate to develop a measurable PR program that is pinned to a detailed roadmap for how and when we’ll achieve our goals.

Messaging & Positioning - At its core, public relations is essentially storytelling; and every good story has a clear, consistent message. We work with you to define and develop a captivating message that aligns with your goals, reflects your company’s identity and resonates with target audiences. By correctly positioning your brand, we ensure that reporters and stakeholders alike are engaged and interested.

$10,000

• Tourism
  • SaaS
  • Sustainability

PR for Indoor Farming Organization

"BIGfish gave the impression of being part of our team and that our business was theirs as well."

July 2015 - Ongoing

The client hired BIGfish Communications to increase their national exposure and educate the world about their industry and product.

Chicago Metro Area
CEO, FarmedHere

BIGfish Communications was able to get the client featured in The Wall Street Journal and The New York Times. The client was happy with the way the agency functioned as part of the team and had high praise for their energy and excitement.

FarmedHere is a leading indoor vertical farm. We grow produce organically using hydroponic technology. We're based in Bedford Park, Illinois.

I am the Chief Executive Officer of the company.

What business challenge were you trying to address with BIGfish?

We wanted to expose our brand nationally. In the world of indoor farming, everything is done at a local level. Produce is consumed within the community. We wanted to gain some exposure across the nation and educate the world on what indoor farming really is.

How did you come to work with BIGfish?

I was referred to them by a mutual friend. I've worked with a number of PR firms in the past for previous businesses that I started, and felt that I had the right insight in order to find the skillsets I was looking for. Not only was BIGfish the most talented out of all the firms we talked to, but they also had a particular knowledge base around the topic of sustainability.

This is confidential.

We started working together in July of 2015. We had a six month agreement which was not renewed due to internal operation changes in my company. We plan to start working with them again towards the end of 2016.

PR is only as good as the hits a company receives. It's fine if I get on the cover of The Des Moines Tribune, but I'd rather get featured in The Wall Street Journal or The New York Times. Specifically speaking, BIGfish actually got us into The Wall Street Journal and The New York Times. There are a number of other publications in which we were featured, but those two are the most prominent.

What distinguishes BIGfish from other providers?

They were almost more prideful, bullish, and excited about our business than we were, as a team. Seeing how energetic and excited they were helped to fire us up too. BIGfish gave the impression of being part of our team and that our business was theirs as well.

Is there anything BIGfish could have improved or done differently?

I think they were amazing from a communication perspective and nailed every part of what we were trying to do. They didn't accomplish much on a social standpoint, but we didn't really ask them to do anything in that respect.

PR for Computer Hardware Company

"With BIGfish, we penetrated the national tech venues and magazines that are commonly known. I don't think we would have gotten the time of day without them."

Oct. 2015 - Ongoing

BIGfish Communications partnered with the client for a coordinated launch with the goal of increasing their media visibility and promoting their product.

CEO, TarDisk

BIGfish Communications was able to conduct a coordinated public relations launch that resulted in a huge amount of traffic for the client. The client was pleased to report that they received national media attention and had important articles published.

TarDisk LLC offers the first plug-and-play storage drive for MacBook computers. We sell a hardware product that is plugged on the side of a modern-day MacBook for increasing storage space.

I am the Chief Executive Officer of the company.

What business challenge were you trying to address with BIGfish?

We were in an interesting position. As a startup, we had built a spectacular product, for which we could raise money to advertise instead of actually building it, or figuring out an alternative way to get ourselves known. We wanted to tell the world about the product we'd built. We reached out to many different magazines and other venues, to a quite poor reception. We decided to seek professional help for this problem.

Under their guidance, we ended up shutting down our website and stopped taking sales for a couple of weeks. We did a coordinated launch, which wound up being spectacular. I remember that, right before the press was set to go live, their owner called me and said they were about to make it rain on our website. Within minutes, noon struck, our timer reached zero, and the hits started coming in.

BIGfish were able to give us a coordinated PR [Public Relations] launch, through articles and other efforts. Everything went live at the same time, and drove an enormous amount of traffic. It was the forward momentum that we needed in order to get the PR machine moving. This had clear implications on our business' bottom line. What BIGfish did, drove all of our traffic and, ultimately, all our sales.

How did you come to work with BIGfish?

We heard varying experiences regarding PR firms. We interviewed different people and found our way to BIGfish.

We described what we wanted to do within the first meeting, and their owner actually used one of our devices on his computer. He was committed and interested in seeing how it functioned. Working with them has exceeded our expectations.

That is confidential.

We started working with them in mid-October of 2015.

The industry average is to switch PR firms every 2-3 months. At this time, we have no intention of doing that. They've learned our product, and, if we can continue to work with them, we definitely will.

After they put their magic or spin on our story, perceptions change. The placements we received before were all local. With BIGfish, we penetrated the national tech venues and magazines that are commonly known. I don't think we would have gotten the time of day without them. I had been emailing a magazine in particular for months. I wasn't able to get anything published. BIGfish has had our second article published with them last week.

What distinguishes BIGfish from other providers?

David himself, the owner, is the most distinguishing aspect. He has a simple way of interpreting what you're actually offering, and getting to the heart of what you're trying to communicate. There's an elegance that comes with that simplicity.

Is there anything BIGfish could have improved or done differently?

As an engineer, everything for me is about numbers and being able to quantify things. Their team is largely liberal arts based. I would love for them to apply clear, quantifiable metrics on the things that they try to do.

I have sent them business already.

PR for Natural Resources Firm

"They [BIGfish Communications] know what they're doing, and they get the story out for us."

Mar. 2011 - Ongoing

BIGfish Communications designed a logo, created a website, and did promotion work for the client, a company that had only worked with traditional marketing.

Houston Metro Area
CTO, Glori Energy

BIGfish Communications was successful in getting the client featured in The Wall Street Journal, Inside Futures, and Offshore Engineer. The client had no criticism. They recognized BIGfish Communications for their intelligence and creativity.

We're a Houston-based oil technology and production company. We have slightly less 50 employees, and we're a publicly traded company. We work with alternative ways to recover residual oil from oil wells that others consider depleted.

I am the CTO.

What business challenge were you trying to address with BIGfish Communications?

We hired them primarily to get the story out about what we do.

We wanted to do everything from brand the company, starting from a name, and getting a logo, a website, and then get the story out to the world. We've done little in social media. In the beginning, our primary customers were oil producers, from small independents to the major companies. We focused on getting our message out in more traditional ways, such as press releases and traditional media stories.

How did you come to work with BIGfish Communications?

I'm a scientist by training, so I had very little exposure to PR companies. I started with online searches, and then I talked to contacts I had from my previous work. I asked them about the approach they take, the firms they use, and who they recommend. I generated a list of about 25, and then narrowed it down to 10.

I did personal calls with about half a dozen firms, and then our CEO and I went out and visited three in person. We liked the creative eye we saw when we went to the offices of BIGfish. At that time, we were a small company, and they were a small firm, so we thought they would be very responsive to us, as well a creative. It's worked out great for us.

The cost has probably averaged $8,000 to $10,000 a month.

We started working with them in March 2011, and we've had them continuously through that period.

David [Gerzof Richard, founder and president of BIGfish Communications] and his team have been fantastic. They've been creative for us, and they're certainly connected. They're intelligent and responsive. They know what they're doing, and they get the story out for us.

In May, we had discussed the two or three key stories that we wanted to get out there, and get them in mainstream media. We worked together to identify the stories, write the storylines, and then identify who we wanted to get the story to. They were great – they got us a story in The Wall Street Journal, and that was the big one.

From there, we've gotten many other mentions in the media. I did an interview with The Wall Street Analyzer last month. We've had a story in BQ Magazine. We've been in Inside Futures, which is Chicago-based. Offshore Engineer is another one, and I could go on and on.

What distinguishes BIGfish Communications from other providers?

BIGfish Communications creative, but also very intelligent. They're connected, and they're responsive. When I sent them a note, or give them a call, it's rare that it takes more than 15 minutes to get a response back.

Is there anything BIGfish Communications could have improved or done differently?

No. As I said, we brainstorm together every week on what we can do and how we can do it. They get the job done. Everything we discuss gets done quickly and gets done well.

PR & Social Media Marketing for Ocean Harvesting Company

"BIGfish helped us get quite a bit of media coverage. ... CNN coverage was the real highlight of our work with them."

2008 - Ongoing

The client hired BIGfish Communications to work on their logo and promote their brand, with increased media coverage and recognition as the goal.

Panama
Founder, Open Blue Global Services

BIGfish Communications was extremely successful in increasing the visibility of the client and their product. They were able to get articles published, feature the client’s product in trade shows, and even achieve CNN coverage, delighting the client.

I am the founder of Open Blue Sea Farms. We're one of the pioneers in open ocean farming. We work with cobia, a white fish species that we're raising here in Panama. We manage the entire lifecycle of the species. We raise fish from an egg all the way through the harvest, and then process the fish into various product formats and distribute it worldwide for gourmet and sushi restaurants.

We work with a new type of technology for farming the oceans, where our farms are actually located far off the coast, over the horizon, and in very deep water. Although this location is in very exposed conditions, it's a better place for the fish and better place for the environment. We're leading the effort to move fish farming in that direction. We're based here in Panama and, right now, we have sales operations in Europe, the United States and Asia.

I am the founder of the company.

What business challenge were you trying to address with BIGfish Communications?

We needed help in establishing the look and feel of our brand.

They worked with us on some of the early designs for the logo. We got the logo that we have today through our work with BIGfish. They did a lot of the early look and feel of the website, and they developed our brochures, documentation, and presentation-type media. They helped with a lot of early messaging and market analysis and worked with us to develop our marketing strategy documents.

Later on, they did a lot of work with us on PR, both for social and traditional media. They set up a couple of high-profile opportunities, including CNN. They helped us get some good media coverage.

How did you come to work with BIGfish Communications?

We've worked with a couple of different firms through the years. While working with one of those firms, we attended a conference in Boston. BIGfish saw a presentation that we gave, pitched their firm, and we agreed to give them a shot. Things kind of snowballed from there, and they began taking on more work.

I don't know off the top of my head. I would say $25,000 to $50,000 a year early on – some years maybe more.

We started working with them in 2008, and we still have a relationship with them. Our sales team is working with a different firm at the moment, but we still keep close contact with BIGfish, and I do expect to use them again in the future.

Could you share any statistics, metrics, or other feedback from this engagement?

They did a great job helping us with our initial logo and website design – we were very happy with that. Then, BIGfish helped us get quite a bit of media coverage. They wrote and placed a number of articles for us, but the CNN coverage was the real highlight of our work with them.

They also helped us with trade shows. We attend the Boston Seafood Show every year, so they did the booth design, found a team to set it up, and helped us staff the booth. They did a good job with that as well. They're a well-rounded company. They can do a lot of different things.

What distinguishes BIGfish Communications from other providers?

I think it is the fact that they can cover so many bases. BIGfish Communications is a small firm, so for small to mid-sized companies, they are a good match. Because they're so balanced, they can almost be a one-stop shop for design, web, copy and even PR for some smaller firms. I think they can do a good job for companies in that size range and pretty much cover all the bases for them.

At the moment, off the top of my head, I can think of nothing.

PR for Telecommunications Company

"BIGfish Communications took a small company that was growing and gave us immediate visibility when there was no way we could get it otherwise."

BIGfish Communications partnered with the client to do public relations and marketing work, expanding their brand and increasing exposure.

Co-founder, Cignal Global Communications

BIGfish Communications’ impact was immediately apparent, giving the client media exposure and even getting them into Forbes magazine. The client has been extremely impressed with the agency’s contributions and praises their aggression.

The company I was with at the time I worked with BIGfish was named Cignal Global Communications. We were a pioneer in integrated voice/data communications technology.

What was your position?

I was the co-founder of the company.

What business challenge were you trying to address with BIGfish Communications?

When we started working with them, Cignal was a small company, and we really had no public relations presence at all.

BIGfish was basically responsible for doing all of the public relations and marketing work for the company. This was way back when BIGfish was just starting up, and there was a lot less social media than today. A lot of our PR at that time was print, and we had almost no online presence.

How did you come to work with BIGfish Communications?

I had worked with the founder of BIGfish in the past and had good experiences with him – I can't speak highly enough of him. He's a high integrity, hard-working and effective person, and he was very effective in getting us in front of the right people.

No. I don't remember how much we spent. It was definitely a significant amount, but I don't know whether it was $50,000 or $100,000. I have no idea.

I started working with them when BIGfish started so around 2001.

Could you share any statistics, metrics or other feedback from this engagement?

BIGfish made us bigger. They gave us almost an immediate impact in getting a presence in the market and in all the telecom magazines, as well as in Forbes. BIGfish Communications took a small company that was growing and gave us immediate visibility when there was no way we could get it otherwise. That's really their strength.

We were placed in a lot of magazines. From a PR perspective, we were getting articles written about us as the state-of-the-art voice-over IP [Internet protocol] network. I have collected a ton of articles that they wrote. My co-founder, who enjoyed the media much more than I did, was all over the place. BIGfish also got us on CNN.

The founder of BIGfish is great. The best part is his high integrity; he wants to deliver value – that's his big thing. He is very focused on making sure that he delivers value for every dollar that you spend. He advocates for his clients as well as anybody I've ever met. He's great at working with early stage companies and getting their names out there, which is not easy. I have a lot of respect for him because that's hard to do. He helped us get above the noise and positioned us well.

I've been following BIGfish now for quite some time and watching what they do. They have taken companies, given them a very clear message and have done a great job getting them out so that the world knows who they are. The owner is just terrific.

What distinguishes BIGfish Communications from other providers?

They are one of the hardest pushing, the hardest driving companies I've ever worked with. They are very much out of the box – very unconventional. They were very aggressive in getting us into the market. The process was fast and not expensive. BIGfish was very quick to understand us and to place us correctly in the market.

You could work with a bigger agency, but with my experience in retrospect, there wasn't a lot of fluff. They are very task oriented and very aggressive. They understood what we were trying to get done and positioned us very well. They moved the ball forward very quickly and aggressively. They really were a great advocate for our company.

We were a startup, so it was a very dynamic situation. I don't want to say that we were a difficult client, but we had a lot of moving pieces. We didn't exactly give BIGfish the easiest workload. It was a difficult workload, but they turned it around and adapted accordingly. Could it have been better? I don't know. The challenge was the size and the scope of what we were, more than it was what BIGfish was doing. They did a great job with what we knew and who we were.

Overall Score They were great.
    They were awesome.
    I'd recommend BIGfish for any company that's getting launched and going through a high growth cycle. They could be just crucial.

PR for Mobile Devices Accessories Firm

"BIGfish Communications has done a great job getting us into the heavy hitters. We've been in The New York Times four or five times since we signed up with them."

2014 - Ongoing

BIGfish Communications connected the client with the biggest reviewers in the marketplace with the goal of increased exposure and popularity.

Los Angeles Metro Area
VP, Product Development & Marketing at TYLT

BIGfish Communications’ involvement resulted in far more exposure for the client than they had ever experienced previously. They’ve received attention from large publications as well as local press, and gotten the reviews they were looking for.

We are a three-year old company called TYLT located in Simi Valley, California. We are a brand of a larger parent company. We created this brand three years ago with the intention of creating smart accessories for the mobile phones.

I'm the VP of product marketing and development.

What business challenge were you trying to address with BIGfish Communications?

As a startup, we weren't in retail yet. Putting marketing together that drove people to Best Buy, for instance, wasn't something in our plans because we were not at Best Buy yet. The goal was to try and get review products. It's the startup budget way of getting your name out there – you just send a lot of free product out.

We were looking for BIGfish to put us in touch with some of the bigger reviewers in the marketplace and get some reviews. Ultimately, when a buyer or consumer would look for us, they would see some reviews for the product. Sending out product was key for us to getting what we do and why we do it out to the consumer.

They don't really do a ton of marketing work with us. They mostly get us into press and get products reviewed.

How did you come to work with BIGfish Communications?

We knew a gentleman who was a mutual friend of the founder of BIGfish. We were looking for a new company, and we heard about BIGfish and had a conversation with them. We went through the process of talking to three different agencies, and we settled on BIGfish based on what they had, their plan, and what they thought they could do.

Our previous agency tended to get us into numerous blogs, and we got a lot of press from the free product we gave out, but no big heavy hitters. We were looking to get into The New York Times or some other key spaces, and we weren't getting that. We went to BIGfish and said, "Less is more. We'd rather be in 10 great publications a year than 500 bloggers." That was the main goal in switching from our prior public relations, and they have been able to do that – for sure.

We started at $5,000 a month, and we're now at $8,000 a month after a year. I know they brought their standard retainer down in order to work with us.

The relationship started about a year and a half ago and is ongoing. A week doesn't go by when someone doesn't pitch me, but I'm happy with my relationship with BIGfish. I'm not going anywhere.

BIGfish Communications has done a great job getting us into the heavy hitters. We've been in The New York Times four or five times since we signed up with them, and we had never been in The New York Times before. We've gotten onto many news shows. We've gotten opportunities to do many interviews in the local region about our business, who we are and why we started. Sort of getting back to the community, where we are, and why we are located in Simi Valley and Ventura County. We've had a lot of local press about the company as a whole as opposed to the individual products, which is good for the overall profile of the company.

They've been able to place us in many key reviews. One of the things about products and reviews is that if a review comes out for the top five widgets, and you make one of those widgets, but you're not in that top five or not even considered in that, that's a fail for the PR agency. They have been able to keep us in any relevant roundups that occur; we have been part of it. The Internet is key to search, and results, and consumers' opinions of products. We did our job of making quality products, and they did their job of getting it out to the big roundups in that space.

What distinguishes BIGfish Communications from other providers?

I guess the key in my being pleased with what they're able to do is, we are not left out of any key product reviews. When iPhone Life does a review of the best iPhone battery cases, we're in it because they have a relationship with iPhone Life. They've built that relationship, and they can make sure that our product is part of that review. Whether we're "best of" or honorable mention, the end result is our responsibility as far as the product goes, but they were able to get us into the roundup. I think that's the key. When it comes to being part of a story, they are always able to throw our hat in the ring and get us considered.

Overall Score They are a very good agency. I think one of the keys is, when you are a startup and don't know as much about PR as some of the bigger guys do, BIGfish Communications really helps guide you through the process and give you advice on when to do things...
    They'll push us. We're the ones who are late.
    They don't spend your money frivolously. They definitely give us a lot for what we pay. Even if we were at a full retainer, I think they give you a lot as far as guidance as a startup.

Online Marketing & Social Media for Consulate General of Iceland

"BIGfish Communication is one of the best online marketing companies that I have worked with."

2010 - Ongoing

The client hired BIGfish Communications to integrate their conventional marketing with an online marketing campaign centered around upcoming events.

New York Metro Area
Consul General, Trade Commissioner at Consulate General of Iceland

BIGfish Communications has been instrumental in the success of the client’s marketing, which has resulted in almost 400,000 Facebook fans. The client continues to work with BIGfish Communications and praises their marketing expertise.

I work out of New York, and one of the projects that I oversee is a marketing program called "Iceland Naturally," and that's where most of my work with BIGfish has taken place.

I am the consul general and trade commissioner for Iceland in North America.

What business challenge were you trying to address with BIGfish Communications?

We've been working with BIGfish since 2010. In the beginning, I was looking for an agency in the United States to assist us with building our online profile and presence.

The bulk of their work has been in online marketing. That includes social media, content management for all our online platforms and integration of online marketing and public relations around our event management. We run large events that we call "Taste of Iceland." Part of their work has been to integrate as much as possible the online marketing with our more conventional marketing.

How did you come to work with BIGfish Communications?

I visited three or four agencies in Boston, including BIGfish. We talked with some large agencies, but we decided that on the online marketing side, BIGfish was the one that had the most capability and potential to work with an organization like ours.

If I were to give you the financial details, I don't think that would really provide an indication of what kind of work they do for us. If you look at us online, then you can see the extent of their work. It's obviously quite expensive. They take care of everything that we do online. With the "Iceland Naturally" project, we run probably close to 100 different projects every single year.

As I said, our relationship with BIGfish started in 2010, and our relationship has developed with time. They still are our agency of record when it comes to all our online needs. We have also been working with them more on the PR side, with specific projects that we are running with our members, and they have done quite a few of those for Landsvirkjun, which is the largest power company in Iceland, with Íslandsbanki [Bank of Iceland], which is one of the three largest banks in Iceland, and with Isavia, which is our international airport.

BIGfish Communication is one of the best online marketing companies that I have worked with. They have a very deep understanding of their industry. They really follow what's new and what's happening – where the trends are going. Iceland is just more than 330,000 people, but we have somewhere close to 400,000 fans on our Facebook site thanks to their help. We are by far the largest of all the Scandinavian countries and our platform is larger than any other Scandinavian country in the United States. Strategically, BIGfish has been a major asset for our online marketing.

What distinguishes BIGfish Communications from other providers?

Their understanding and capabilities are actually why we have grown so much. We do have interesting content, but they have done an exceptional job of getting that out and creating new content for social media.

Not really. They keep us updated with anything that is going on in marketing technology or trends, so we are constantly moving forward with what we are doing. We've worked with BIGfish less on the PR side, but they have done a number of projects for us specifically on the technology side. For example, they have been working with Landsvirkjun, which is the power company we've been promoting as a location for data centers. They have been contacting and bringing key media in that industry to Iceland.

They have a good understanding of the technology. During all the work they have done with us, their owner [David Richard] specifically has been extremely helpful, investing his time and energy in ways that are not necessarily paid for. He is extremely well connected in Boston, and he has helped me out in my role as trade commissioner, connecting me with people, investors, startups and others that he has access to.

I've been working with them for nearly six years now, and they've never missed a deadline. They're always on time with everything that they say they're going to do. What that does for me as a client is that I worry less.

PR for Tech Entrepreneurs' Community

"They're [BIGfish Communications] really nice people. I actually enjoy their company and enjoy working with them."

Jan. 2015 - Ongoing

The client hired BIGfish Communications to help them properly brand themselves, tell the most effective story, and connect them with the right press.

Cofounder, TechHub

BIGfish Communications was successful in connecting the client with several journalists, setting up important interviews, and getting articles written about the client in popular periodicals such as BetaBoston, Bostinno, and The Boston Globe.

We are a global community of tech entrepreneurs. We started in London five years ago [2010], and our membership represents the largest technology startups in Europe. We launched in India in June last year [2014], and we already have 500 members in Bangalore. We launched in Boston at the end of April, and we're already at about 150 members. We're a community of tech entrepreneurs, and we operate co-working spaces in various locations. Our membership is around 5,000 people across the globe. The co-working is just one of the things they ask is to deliver for them, so they can all collaborate.

I am the cofounder of TechHub Boston, and I'm the cofounder of TechHub Bangalore. What that means is that I, along with some other people, bootstrapped into existence both of those entities. We are all tech entrepreneurs and we have both failed and succeeded in some way in the past. We do this as the founders of these centers and to help other entrepreneurs in those arenas that we really care about.

What business challenge were you trying to address with BIGfish Communications?

We were concerned with a couple of things, actually. One of the first things was to help us be properly knowledgeable about what we were doing and to identify how we can truly add value, rather than just putting out another generic tech company. BIGfish has been great in helping us become localized and in reading the local environment. They've helped us understand how we can actually find unique things to bring to that environment.

Another thing we needed was their help in connecting us to local journalists. Although we've worked in Boston for a while, we've not necessarily engaged with the kind of press that TechHub would need. Some of the interviews BIGfish has set up for us have been game changing.

How did you come to work with BIGfish Communications?

We selected BIGfish because their owner [David Gerzof Richard] is awesome. He has a level of awesomeness that is different from other PR firms. He is a professor at Emerson College, and he works with his student public relations firm every year, where he engages with five or six different startups. They run his PR agency out of Emerson for free with startups.

He's got the kind of DNA we really empathize with. He is also a nice human being. What we realized was that we could work with him in many different ways. We knew we would enjoy working with him, and we knew he could help TechHub. We also knew he could help our vendors with his student PR company. To find all three pieces of value in the same place was unique, and that meant that we turned to BIGfish straight away. Even though we had evaluated a number of other agencies and worked with agencies in both India and London, we realized immediately that BIGfish would be excellent to work with.

We have a special relationship with the owner of BIGfish. He is our exclusive PR partner, and he functions as kind of a sponsor of TechHub, so we don't pay him anything.

We first met with BIGfish in January or February [2015]. Actually, a part of our history and folklore is embedded with their owner. We had our first proper meeting in the Charles Hotel in Harvard Square, and across the table from us was one of the major tech players in Boston. He walked in while we were in the middle of the meeting, and it was actually at that moment that we realized that we wanted to invite him to be our patron. He actually did become the patron of our organization, and that was a big game changer. While all this wasn't directly related to BIGfish other than that their owner was in the room, part of our own history has BIGfish in it. Obviously, we are still working with them.

BIGfish has connected us with a number of different journalists around the city, some of whom have come along to our events and to the center itself. That got us a number of articles in BetaBoston, BostInno, and The Boston Globe, among others. He set up an important interview with our sponsor and with BetaBoston and helped establish that relationship, which was great.

Most importantly, what BIGfish does for us is help us fine tune and reflect on everything we're doing. This includes not only how we take our company to market, but also how we involve him in the idea stage of what we're doing. As an example, we're looking at involving some of the Emerson students this fall, and BIGfish has already helped us think about that involvement a little bit differently.

What distinguishes BIGfish Communications from other providers?

They've got a great team. I say this to all of our members as well because BIGfish Communications delivers free training to our early stage startups every month. When they ask me about BIGfish Communications, I tell them about what a great team they have. Their owner has hired incredibly well, and everybody seems very engaged and motivated. A lot of the BIGfish team has been to most of our events and met a lot of the startups in person.

They're very human beings, if that makes sense. They're really nice people. I actually enjoy their company and enjoy working with them. Besides being creative, they have people who are very good at execution and at tying people down to deadlines, making sure that things are happening and reports are coming out on time.

This is a tough one because, as a sponsor and a partner, I'm very grateful for all the work they do. If there's any one thing I might point to it would be to give us clearer directions about what we might be able to predict or how we might be able to improve in the coming months. At the moment, we get a report that tells us where we've received placing or positioning within the press and the kind of coverage we've had. It would be nice to see, on top of that, an objective for the next month. For example, maybe we should plan on growing by 10 percent during the month, or maybe what type of journals we're going to get into – that kind of thing.

I recommend BIGfish every day.

Public Relations for Phone Screen Protection Company

"BIGfish Communications really understood the mobile space, which was incredibly important for us."

BIGfish Communications helped the client, a company that produced screen protectors for a variety of devices, market their products to the public and increase visibility.

Co-founder, Phone Screen Protection Company

BIGfish Communications succeeded in getting the client’s products into the hands of influential people and achieving the increased exposure the client was looking for. The client was especially appreciative of BIGfish Communications’ mobile industry experience.

The company I worked for made screen protectors for a variety of devices, and our products were sold anywhere from Staples to Wal-Mart to carrier stores.

I was the chief marketing officer and co-founder of the company.

What business challenge were you trying to address with BIGfish Communications?

My focus on retaining BIGfish was to market our products through test cases and so forth.

They provided public relations services primarily. There might have been minimal social media, but the overall retainer focus was on PR.

How did you come to work with BIGfish Communications?

We had a different PR agency previously. We wanted someone local – someone nimble. I had a lot of respect for David [founder and president of BIGfish Communications], and it just felt like a good fit. They understood the space well.

It was probably around $50,000.

I don't remember when we started working with them. Completion would have been probably in November 2012, which is when we sold the business.

Could you share any results from this engagement?

The quality of the work was very high. Our focus was to get test products into the hands of opinion makers, so they ended up spending considerable time researching the right folks to send the product to, and then communicating with those people, following up on the samples that were sent out, and then crafting stories around it.

What distinguishes BIGfish Communications from other providers?

I think first and foremost is, BIGfish Communications really understood the mobile space, which was incredibly important for us. There's certainly no shortage of PR agencies, but David and his group seemed to understand the mobile device industry, the consumer electronics industry, and understood how to maintain our authenticity within the space.

No. I think they were right on.

PR for Apple Devices Protection Tools Developer

"BIGfish did a great job, and that's why we are continuing to work with them."

Mar. 2015 - Ongoing

BIGfish Communications was hired to provided public relations services for the client by interacting with the press and promoting awareness for their products.

Rome, Italy
President, Action Proof

BIGfish Communications’ involvement resulted in the desired media visibility for the client. BIGfish Communications was recognized for their professionalism and their knowledge of business. The client had only praise for the agency.

Action Proof is a company established a couple of years ago, and we develop top-end products for the Apple world. We make accessories for Apple products. We are based in Italy, but we sell worldwide, and our main market is the United States.

I am the president of the company.

What business challenge were you trying to address with BIGfish Communications?

BIGfish is focused on digital public relations. Their business was about getting us seen by the press.

We are really just starting up. We launched our first product, which was an accessory for the Apple Watch, only about six months ago. The objective was to get awareness – from being nobody to becoming a brand. That's where BIGfish started their work.

How did you come to work with BIGfish Communications?

I contacted them after searching many digital PR companies in the U.S. After my chat with their owner, I had no doubt that they were the company for us, and we started from there.

We are speaking of something around $3,000 to $5,000 a month. At the start, there was a major fee because things needed to get started, so I think we began with a $10,000 retainer fee.

We started working together somewhere around March of this year [2015]. We are still happily working with them.

I think that BIGfish did a great job. I come from the digital advertising world, so I know what they need to do to make me happy, and they certainly did that. Here in Italy, I'm a partner of one of the main digital agencies, so I personally know about advertising, digital PR, and social media. You can see that background even if you'll just visit our website. You'll get a feeling of what we do and what we understand.

I must say that I was very surprised about what the team at BIGfish was able to achieve. We had an incredible initial response. We had huge visibility in the media, and when I say huge, it was huge. We were everywhere we wanted to be. Certainly, we had a good product, and certainly the timing was good, but we still had great visibility, which was at the core of our strategy. Certainly, BIGfish did a great job, and that's why we are continuing to work with them. I'm very happy. If you ask me to score that, it's 10 out of 10.

What distinguishes BIGfish Communications from other providers?

I would say mainly two things. First of all, BIGfish Communications is professional. I know many companies have serious professionals working for them, so maybe this is not so uncommon. But, if the issue is professionalism, BIGfish is top notch, and I'm speaking about everybody on the team.

To give you an example, professionalism is not just about getting awareness, doing great PR, and being in the media. It's also about giving us advice if there's something wrong with our social media. If some texts had been poorly written, they automatically correct them and send them back. This is important because we're based in Italy and produce some things that aren't perfect. They're not required to let us know, but they take that very seriously and help us out.

The second thing, which is very important, is the fact that they understand our business and understand that we were a startup – maybe we still are. What this means from a business perspective is that every time I spoke to their owner, we could actually work out what we wanted to do in any particular month.

There was always maximum availability from the owner. BIGfish is not a company that says, "Hey, you need to pay me this because otherwise I will go and work with someone else." BIGfish Communications is a company that listens to your needs, which is great for a startup.

I wouldn't have given you a 10 out of 10 if I thought something had to be done differently. I would never change them.

Overall Score I'm a truly happy client.
    Absolutely.
    I understand media, and the visibility we gained thanks to their PR is nowhere near what we would have had to spend if we wanted to be on those same magazines and blogs and get the same visibility.
    I would, absolutely, and I already am doing that. Whenever someone asks me if I have some contacts in the United States with a PR company, I recommend BIGfish without reservation.