Collaborative, Cloud-based Accountants

We love meeting new people and working with customers that have intriguing, dynamic businesses that challenge us. Please reach out to see if we’ll be a great fit for you and your business.

Basis 365® Accounting provides outsourced accounting, bookkeeping, and payroll services to eCommerce, SaaS and a wide range of Service-based businesses. Our customers range from $1mm - $20mm in revenue or roughly 5-100 employees.

We've flipped the traditional accounting model on its head by partnering with our customers and focusing on real-time accounting to deliver timely results to help our customers make better business decisions. You don’t need to worry about us being unreachable during the spring or fall tax seasons or surprising you with billable hours because we are not a CPA firm and work on fixed price agreements.

We deliver a 100% cloud-based accounting department and have customers across the US. Some of the benefits of partnering with us are:

• Business Continuity - No need to worry about your accountant giving you 2 weeks to find a replacement.
  • Scalable - We’re able to ramp up or down with your business. We also deliver budgeting, forecasting and performance dashboards.
  • Responsive - 24 hours response time. You won’t have to wonder “is anyone seeing this?"

Here are some of the amazing applications we work with that could be a part of your new accounting solution:

• Xero
  • FUTRLI
  • Gusto
  • Expensify

Los Angeles, CA

Overview of Basis 365 (01)

Mini Page 1 of our Overview

Overview of Basis 365 (02)

Mini Page 2 of our Overview

Expensify - receipt mobile

Expensify - receipt mobile image

FUTRLI financial dashboards - kpi

FUTRLI KPI simplified image

FUTRLI financial dashboards - cash flow

FUTRLI cash flow image

Gusto Payroll - Mobile

Gusto Payroll, mobile image

Xero in the Cloud

Xero in the Cloud

Outsourced CFO & International Expansion Support for Mobile Tech Studio

"We’ve had some very bad experiences with previous CFOs … and Basis 365 completely restored my faith in humanity."

Jan. 2017 - Ongoing

As an outsourced partner, Basis 365 managed onboarding and international transaction processes. They provide a full suite of CFO services, including bookkeeping, invoicing, cash-flow forecasting, and metrics.

Los Angeles Metro Area, California
Marc Fischer
CEO, Dogtown Media

Solutions they implemented cut AR and AP processing time in half, speeding up cash flow. They secured key services and simplified tax strategy. While some internal CFO services are lacking, their agile methodology, proactive and clear communication, and tech-savvy make them an ideal partner.

I am the founder and CEO of Dogtown Media. We’re a mobile technology studio; we take ideas and turn them into mobile apps.

What challenge were you trying to address with Basis 365 Accounting?

We needed a CFO, but we didn’t need them to be full-time, and we didn't have the budget for a full-time salary.

They are actively providing us a full suite of outsourced CFO services, such as bookkeeping, invoicing, cash-flow forecasting and tracking of key metrics. They help us make informed business decisions.

We have scaled quite a bit, and they've been with us every step of the way. They’ve adapted to changing circumstances as we’ve opened up an office abroad and are internationalizing our position in the marketplace. As far as accounting services, that expansion entails coordinating with our local team members and setting up operational processes to minimize transactional costs and risk.

We've had an onboarding expert set up all of our systems and transfer the data from our earlier CFO to their program.

We have a personalized liaison as our main point of contact. There's also an onboarding manager. For more complex processes and questions, the 2 founders come in. They also help a lot with referrals to strategic partners.

How did you come to work with Basis 365 Accounting?

We did a deep dive and interviewed 9 other vendors before deciding on Basis 365.

They understood our business model. They'd worked in technology themselves and had credibility and experience. They were able to answer all the questions that I had, and they showed me that they were able to perform at a high caliber with a competitive pricing model.

I pay them $48,000 a year plus a few extra fees for consulting services, so it rounds out at around $50,000.

We've been working with them since January 2017.

Revenue is definitely up. While Basis 365 isn’t solely responsible for that, the processes, invoicing, communication, and feedback mechanisms they implemented have lowered the time that it takes to get money in the door. Our accounts payable and accounts receivable processes are much smoother and work twice as fast.

Our tax strategy has been much smoother than with our former CFO. We do a lot of financial planning and forecasting, and they've really been pivotal in helping us secure qualified partners for 401(k) and tax return services.

How did Basis 365 Accounting perform from a project management standpoint?

It's been great. They are fantastic. They're very responsive and communicative. They came in at a tumultuous time for us and have implemented new processes as we’ve grown.

We have several communication channels, touch point calls twice a week, a Slack channel that is running with 2-way and 3-way communication, and email.

Their answers to questions, reminders, and everything else are on point. They answer questions clearly and quickly as they arise and provide clear feedback for us when we need to perform a task. We get frequent updates so that there are no surprises; we keep them in the loop and they give us the feedback we need to be successful. I especially love how proactive the executives are.

They are tech-savvy. Our respective cultures are well-aligned. They like to test assumptions and run like a lean startup. Most of all, they adopt frameworks and processes that are efficient, raise productivity, and don't add unnecessary layers. They minimize admin tasks through adopting smart technologies.

If we had an internal CFO, we would get more in-depth consulting and financial engineering, like how to run lines of credit, and more proactive advice. Those additional services would be helpful.

Have all your systems documented and ready to be ported over ahead of time so that it's a smooth transition. That helps you avoid last-minute work and long hours. Be prepared, set up communication channels, and clearly lay out what responsibilities you want them to have and what responsibilities you want to maintain in-house.

Overall Score They’re responsive and proactive about offering solutions. If they don’t know something, they’re honest about it and connect us with experts that complement their skill set.
    They're on point. They have a task management scheduler and constantly remind me of things I need to do.
    They're more expensive than other solutions I've looked at, but I look at value over anything else. They definitely offer the best value for the money.
    We’ve had some very bad experiences with previous CFOs, both in-house and outsourced, and Basis 365 completely restored my faith in humanity.
    I've already recommended them to 2 colleagues looking for these services.

Outsourced Accounting for Consulting Firm

"They have a very good robust process ... which gave us the confidence to outsource our accounting."

Mar. 2017 - Ongoing

Basis 365 provides bookkeeping, invoicing, AP/AR management, monthly close, and financial statement services. They also integrated solutions, including Workflowmax, Expensify, Gusto, Box, Bill.com, and Xero.

San Francisco Bay Area, California
Ramy Khalil
CEO, Scimitar Inc.

Their astute and seasoned team streamlined the entire accounting process. Basis 365 ultimately released the client from obligating their own time and performed exponentially well amidst migration and startup challenges. Transparency and precision continue to instill confidence in the relationship.

We are a management consulting firm working exclusively with the life sciences sector, including biotech, pharma, diagnostics and medical devices. We provide comprehensive consulting services covering the value chain including research, clinical development, manufacturing and supply chain, and commercial. We are unique in that our staff is composed of only seasoned industry-focused
consultants.

What challenge were you trying to address with Basis 365 Accounting?

We were outsourcing accounting to allow our consulting staff to devote more of their valuable time to our clients instead of managing internal operations. Outsourcing to our first service provider saved a little bit of time, but not as much as we expected from the relationship. We didn’t have peace of mind, and I was doing a lot of oversight and double checking. Our original service provider was not adequately scaling to our business, so we initiated a new search and found Basis 365.

We retained Basis 365 to manage our accounting operations, but to do that in a streamlined and scalable manner we needed to go through an onboarding phase to standardize our project controls and migrate to a scalable and user-friendly suite of tools that would provide financial transparency, project-level transparency, and enable compliance amongst our staff. Basis 365 migrated our cash-basis Quickbooks accounting and prepared us for more accurate accrual-based tracking in Xero, our accounting platform. They introduced us to Workflowmax, a work management system, that allows us to manage our full project lifecycle from lead generation to staff assignments to project level financial reporting to invoicing. They fully integrated the work management platform into Xero. We were previously using Gusto, Bill.com, and Expensify which they also fully integrated into our accounting operations. This minimized the organizational change management to get my team up and running in the new ecosystem.

Since the migration, Basis 365 has been running all of our accounting operations including bookkeeping, invoicing, accounts payable/receivable management, monthly close, and both monthly and annual financial statement for tax preparation. They even provide quarterly financial performance analysis and insights to help me manage the business. Over just a few months of collaboration, we’ve shifted from weekly 1-hour meetings to bi-weekly 1-hour meetings to 30-minute bi-weekly meetings at my request. My goal is 30 minutes monthly. The decreasing time on calls is indicative of my continually increasing confidence in the team, and the full transparency they have created through WorkflowMax and Xero, where I can pull reports faster than emailing a request.

Our overall project controls toolkit is much more effective than it was before. Instead of people coming to me for project financial or remaining budget updates, my account managers and project leads just log into the systems and look for themselves.

They have delivered extremely well on my very simple needs – saving me time and giving me confidence that my numbers are accurate so I can spend less time in the back office and more time with my staff and clients.

How did you come to work with Basis 365 Accounting?

I’d evaluated basis during our initial accounting outsourcing initiative. They were slightly more expensive than the provider we selected, who was using Quickbooks, a platform more familiar to me.

My price sensitivity during early years of growth came at the expense of setting up scalable and truly turnkey systems. After a couple years, when I couldn’t afford the time and financial risk of using our other provider, I reached back out to Basis 365 for a quote, and we moved very quickly from there.

They charge us a flat fee for services per month as per our contract. They have multiple service offerings depending on the necessary amount of coaching, feedback, and financial management support your business may need. I signed up for one of their lower support tiers because I ran the books personally for years – so I already knew our business in excruciating detail. If our needs grow, then I will reach out and ask for an increased level of support.

We’ve been working with Basis 365 since March 2017. Things are going very well so I don't see an end to this engagement anytime soon.

I was working 10–12 hours per week on accounting and financial management oversight, on top of 40-50 hours per week of client work and more time coaching my staff. 40-50 hours per month of bookkeeping, invoice generation, timecard review, report generation, and AP/AR [Accounts Payable/Accounts Receivable] tracking has dropped to a few hours a month. This gives me more time with clients, more time with my staff, and more time with my family. The time back is priceless, and the business is running more smoothly.

How did Basis 365 Accounting perform from a project management standpoint?

They did a great job, and I would rate them very highly. Every migration has hiccups, and the Basis 365 staff stepped in to cover for some of my own staff who I had assigned to lead the migration, and for a third-party system configurator of WorkflowMax. They did not let the ball drop.

All of the Basis 365 team members are extremely knowledgeable and experienced. I don’t feel like they are just logging transactions. The staff independently thinks on our company's behalf, flags issues early, and proactively offers solutions. They truly understand our business, and this is why I have confidence in them.They have a very good robust process, knowledgeable staff and they pay attention to details, which gave us the confidence to outsource our accounting. I haven’t had any worry about the health, accuracy, completeness, and timeliness of our financial data.

We had some technical issues at the beginning of the project, like how we were going to successfully connect Expensify to the Xero system. I would have liked to have known that beforehand, beforehand, but sometimes experimenting and a little trial and error are necessary, especially as these fairly nascent SaaS platforms evolve.

There’s isn’t anything from the relationship or operations that I’m concerned about. I’m very happy with their work. They offered me as much time as I wanted for weekly consultations regarding the books. I’m the person right now asking for shorter, less frequent meetings because I’m so comfortable with the way they handle things.

At the end of the day, quality is more important than cost because low quality in accounting will cost much more. In the initial biddings, I chose a low-cost provider and definitely ended up getting what I paid for. I had years of headaches as a result.

Don’t be pennywise pound foolish. Don’t undervalue relationships when you’re trusting somebody with your financial health. Choose a service provider that cares about the quality of their work, about you and your business. Make sure they know why you need them – for me the measure of success was time back. I believe clearly communicating that up front was critical. Choose peace of mind!

I've actually recommended them to any small business that works with us.

Financial Tracking & Modeling for Digital Production Studio

"They’re also keen and into technology, so they're constantly looking for new ways to improve their process."

2014 - Ongoing

Basis 365 Accounting started out providing only basic accounting and bookkeeping services. They now also help with financial tracking and financial modeling services and provide a metrics dashboard.

Los Angeles Metro Area, California
Nick Mountford
Managing Director, Active Theory

Basis 365 is adaptable, efficient, forward-thinking, and technology-driven. They have proven cost-effective, contributing the work of an on-site employee and even tidying up the subpar work of past vendors. Their reports are reliable and accurate, and they’ve made collaboration seamless.

I am the managing director of Active Theory. We are a digital production company based in Venice, California. We make web-based experiences such as installations, apps, games, and websites for brands and ad agencies.

What challenge were you trying to address with Basis 365 Accounting?

We needed a bookkeeping and accounting service that was familiar with technology and our industry. We wanted one that was using web-based tools like Xero, an online-based accounting software package.

They started off providing bookkeeping and basic accounting services. Their services have changed a little bit over the course of these years. We have also been working with them on financial tracking and financial modeling services. They set up a dashboard for us which allows us to get access to charts to view and predict key metrics for the company. Their service is great. They’re also keen and into technology, so they're constantly looking for new ways to improve their process, and we really appreciate that.

I wanted to use Xero because we had a bad experience with other accounting packages that were out there, and we wanted a web-based solution so that I could access various reports, everything from anywhere. I had read a little bit on Xero and they seemed like they were getting good reviews.

I assumed that any accounting company that used a tech-forward solution like Xero would be relatively forward-thinking themselves. It turns out that Basis 365 is forward-thinking and they do use Xero, so those things worked out. They exposed us to a few other web-based tools that they use for managing their books and clients.

I work with Rhett [Co-Founder, Basis 365], as well as a couple of others like Kristen [Accountant, Basis 365], Elicia [Lead Accountant, Basis 365], and sometimes Mike [Co-Founder, Basis 365]. Kristen is mainly my day-to-day point of contact, and Elicia does the general bookkeeping. If there's anything complex, I'll reach out to Rhett.

How did you come to work with Basis 365 Accounting?

We have read reviews about Xero being great, and we found Basis 365 on a Xero case study. I gave Basis 365 a call and they came up to visit us in Venice.

We had a chat about our business needs. We interviewed 5-6 other solutions, some of them web-based and some of them local accounting services, and we decided to go with Rhett and Mike. Their passion for their work was the most appealing to us, and they seemed like the most switched-on and interested. We're glad we made that choice.

I prefer to keep this confidential.

We've been working together for 3 years, possibly a little bit more

They've eased my personal workload. They generate management reports for us regularly. Prior to using Basis 365, we had a really average accountant which caused us a lot of problems. They went back through all of that work and tidied it all up. They basically do the role of a full-time employee but they do it remotely. They're able to do it really effectively by doing it remotely and managing it online. They don't need to put as many hours in as a full-time employee, so it's more cost-effective for us.

How did Basis 365 Accounting perform from a project management standpoint?

They're great. They use online project tools to manage their workflow, like Redbooth and FUTRLI. I think a lot of their staff is remote and work at different times, which is fine by us; there’s no negative impact to the way we work.

As soon as I log a question or an issue in Redbooth, they'll get back to me promptly. I think their level of service is great.

It's their absorption and understanding of technology for an accounting and financial services firm. There's a lot of companies out there that claim to be up to speed with technology, but you could tell that these guys really love and enjoy technology, which is a good fit for us.

Not really. If I ever do have feedback, I would just give it straight to Rhett. Everything is going well; it's a good relationship.

Be willing and ready to work with online tools, understanding that they and some of their staff work remotely. Communicate clearly with them and you'll get good service. They helped us throughout the learning process.

They don't insist on using certain technologies; they cater their solutions to their client's needs. We wanted Xero and they offered it. It was a good fit for us. I'm sure they offer other types of solutions as well.

They made all deadlines. They're really good with estimates.
    They're excellent.

Reporting, Tracking, & Payroll for Social Media Digital Agency

"They respond quickly .... they make my life easier."

Oct. 2014 - Ongoing

Basis 365 Accounting provides outsourced accounting services, including payroll, invoicing, and bookkeeping. The team also generates management and business reports, suggesting areas for growth and better performance.

California
Dee Thibodeau
Business Operations Manager, Smarty Social Media

Despite time differences, Basis 365 Accounting delivers timely and accurate material, while keeping budgets and timesheets properly aligned. They have a quick turnaround time, strong communication, and help grow the business. Their quality of work inspires confidence for an ongoing relationship.

Smarty Social Media is a digital agency that creates social content and digital strategies for brands on social media. As the business operations manager, I'm responsible for accounting, HR, and reporting.

What challenge were you trying to address with Basis 365 Accounting?

I believe we were initially looking to outsource some of the work and needed an accountant to work as a silent partner and help grow the business.

Basis 365 handles our payroll, invoicing, and bookkeeping, maintaining corporate compliance. They also process our monthly management reports and quarterly reports of the business around profit margins, income statements, and cash flow. They also provide insight into what they see and make suggestions on what we can do to better perform as a company.

They maintain an alignment with me, making sure my timesheets and budgets are being properly accounted for each campaign so that we can see a much larger picture of what we’re offering clients.

We use their WorkflowMax solution, which helps with time tracking and making sure we can properly input our contractors and internal staffs time against the correct job/campaign. Otherwise, it would be hard to know where each of our hours was being spent.

We work with three of their members—there is an overall account director, a member responsible for statements of work and invoicing, and another member responsible for everything that falls in-between, like time reporting for clients and campaigns, who is also my go-to person for every one-off need.

How did you come to work with Basis 365 Accounting?

I wasn’t here when the group was first approached. I know they initially came onboard as a silent partner helping us behind-the-scenes. Basis 365 was an affordable choice for what we needed at the time.

The monthly fee for their services averages around $1,900.

We started working with Basis 365 in October 2014. As our business continues to grow, I’m sure they will be able to provide the resources we need.

Basis 365’s reporting and suggestions are tremendously helpful. They have helped us stay in compliance and organized as we have grown from one employee to seven, and from five contractors to fifteen.

How did Basis 365 Accounting perform from a project management standpoint?

All our work is done through a system called Redbooth, where we can create tasks and share information as if they were in our office. We have monthly reports to go over the state of the business and have quarterly meeting reviews.

They respond quickly, and we’ve developed a routine by which I know that if I need something, I can ask for it and receive it on time. They also know my routine of sending material.

I like working with their staff. They make my life easier. I can tell them what I’m looking for and they can produce it that day, or even the next morning before I arrive.

I don't think there's anything they could improve in at this time, as we work well together.

The best advice I can give is for clients to understand the paperless industry, specifically how to scan and share documents. It will make their lives so much easier, especially in the case of the older business workforce.

Overall Score They’re professional, accurate and customer service oriented.
    They always deliver, but I have to make requests one day in advance since we’re in different time zones.
    Their customer service and deliverables are always on point and on time.

System Transition & Performance Analysis for Consulting Firm

“It feels like Basis 365 is one of us because they’re just as invested in our business as we are.”

Nov. 2014 - Ongoing

Basis 365 shifted an outdated setup to a WorkflowMax invoicing system without disrupting business. They currently provide performance analysis reporting, monthly partner packets, and future revenue forecasts.

California
Tara Matthews
Principal, RSG Inc.

Profit has increased tremendously since Basis 365 took control of reporting and streamlined overall workflow. They provide a collaborative, open atmosphere, and communication is always practical. Adaptability, understanding, and progressiveness continues to bolster the ongoing partnership.

RSG Inc. is a consulting firm working with public agencies throughout the state of California in the areas of affordable housing, economic health, real estate, and successor-agency services. We provide a wide variety of consulting, primarily for cities and counties in the state. I am a principal and the treasurer of the firm.

What challenge were you trying to address with Basis 365 Accounting?

We had another accounting firm, but it was using an old and outdated system. We decided to start a bid for a new partner, and we also gave our accountant at that time an opportunity to submit. We wanted a system for time-entry invoicing which would provide more flexibility and reporting. Our old system made it hard to get data out and look at business metrics.

Basis 365 helped us with the setup of our complete transition to the new system, and also helped with addressing invoicing and how we coded our jobs. We needed to continue to operate during the transition in order to not lose momentum.

Due to working for cities and counties, each of our clients have their own job code. However, even though we may be working on multiple jobs with different budgets for one client, they need to be invoiced at the same time. We had to figure out ways to link those jobs together in the system in order to transition data. There was a cut-off date by the year’s end, and we still had jobs in progress. We needed to make sure all the budget amounts were transitioned accurately.

We used Basis 365’s Xero tool, which is more of an accounting software. WorkflowMax is a time-entry tool compatible with Xero, so we’ve used it more internally as it gives us tons of great reporting. It also allows us to review items by client, product line, staff, billables, and billable hours. The process is different from a construction job where the development is done in phases, because we have to account for every 15-minute time increment and then bill to public agencies.

We’re now able to accurately track time and money spent on projects. The reporting capabilities of WorkflowMax have been invaluable to the firm, and Basis 365 has even helped us figure out how to create some of those reports.

When we originally contracted with them in November 2014, they were helping us transition to a new system and figuring out how to do invoicing, payroll, monthly closing, and general reporting. In November 2016, we increased their scope to the controller level of service. This allowed us to rely on them for more performance analysis reporting. They’re also helping us prepare information used in our monthly partner packets so that we can better make business decisions. They help us with future revenue forecasting and other financial reports.

How did you come to work with Basis 365 Accounting?

We reviewed multiple proposals and selected Basis 365 because of the tools they offered, particularly the WorkflowMax time-entry and invoicing system. We knew it would help us analyze business metrics, and we appreciated its compatibility and ease of use.

We spend around $4,000 per month based on their current level of service. We started lower, but there was also an initial setup fee.

We started working with them in November 2014, and we have an ongoing relationship. The transition took 6 months to complete.

We’ve seen the profit in our firm grow tremendously since we increased their services to the controller level, and also because partners aren’t having to spend their time on reporting. There are probably internal reasons for this as well.

As the financial officer of the company, I was spending a lot of my time on these things. Just on a personal level, my billable hours have increased by 20-30 per month, which means more revenue to the firm. Our administrator can manage her own workflow as well, whereas before it was too much for us to handle internally.

How did Basis 365 Accounting perform from a project management standpoint?

I’ve been able to call them and schedule a meeting if I have any issues. We can discuss it, then come up with a scope collaboratively in a trial-and-error process. In my mind, the transitions have been easy, except for a few normal mishaps. They’re easy to work with, open, and communicative.

Their flexibility, compared to how most accountants think, is impressive. Basis 365 was willing to come up with new ideas and solutions, and helped us with what we needed instead of being stuck on how things were done in the past. It was refreshing to see that they cared about our needs, and understood why we wanted to switch systems.

They’re pleasant to work with, communicate well, and give us the impression of being a part of the team. I know that we pay them a monthly fee, but it feels like Basis 365 is one of us because they’re just as invested in our business as we are.

Basis 365 also handles bill payment. Once, when someone went on vacation, we got a late fee, but they figured it out and made up the difference. They’ve always made things right.

Initially, they had too many tools, like Redbooth, for communication. These are great, but having to go to too many places made it hard for us to follow. Also, we wanted more detailed summaries from them following meetings on what our next steps were. Basis 365 does follow through, but it would be nice to see something written for reference. Overall, they do a good job.

For me, there is a tendency to rely on email communication, but it can become too much to keep up with. What worked well for us was having quarterly meetings where they came to our firm and worked with us on where we’re heading, what our goals are, and how those fit into the services they provide. This has been useful for us in aligning both teams.

Overall Score It’s been 3 years, and there have been some growing pains and staff changes. Whenever there was an issue, they were quick to resolve it.
    They’re very responsive.
    Our needs shift, and we’ve had to figure out how the tools best fit into our business. Basis 365 has added services without charging extra.
    There have been some communication gaps during staff changes.