Powered by Technology. Driven by Talent.

Gold

We are the fastest growing Technology Solutions company in Latin America. Our applicant pool is the largest in the industry: over 240.000 Software Engineers apply to work with us each year, and we hire only the Top 1% IT Talent, creating solid teams of 100% bilingual veteran developers.

We provide end to end delivery for companies of all sizes, from startups to some of the biggest companies in the world, including Google, Rolls-Royce, Pinterest, EY, SiriusXM, Motorola & Viacom, among others. The heart of our work is Software Outsourcing, Testing and Operational Support which we provide through a service of fully managed teams that integrate seamlessly into your projects.

We are a group led and guided by an Agile mentality.

We are a firm founded and run by Developers.

We are Powered by Technology and Driven by Talent.

1,000 - 9,999
    Colombia
  • Av. Brg. Faria Lima, 4221
    Itaim Bibi 04538-133
    Brazil

SiriusXM, Google, Rolls-Royce, Viacom, Groupon, Netgear, Univision, AP, Turner, IBM, Thomson Reuters, RightSide, Salesforce, Whirlpool, HP, Autodesk, BBVA, Motorola, Volkswagen, AdRoll, R/GA, Instructure, Fresenius, Square, Kapsch, Gemalto, IPG Mediabrands.

Web Dev for Orthopaedic Healthcare Solutions Company

“BairesDev helps us accomplish more work within a shorter timeframe than we ever could before.”

Aug. 2018 - Ongoing

BairesDev provided staff augmentations services to source, vet, and interview developers based on the specialized needs at hand. The resources they assigned focused on Node.js and Angular web development.

Bethlehem, PA
CTO, Exscribe

BairesDev sources highly skilled and carefully tailored candidates to augment the in-house team. They offer an array of best-in-class options to consider. The developers collaborate seamlessly using the Agile method. Their efficiency and technical acumen empower the client to scale with ease.

I'm the CTO of Exscribe Incorporated, a medical records software vendor. Our company is based in the US and has been in business since about 2001. The flagship product we offer is an electronic health records application that we market to orthopedic practices nationwide.

What challenge were you trying to address with BairesDev?

Our primary goal was staff augmentation. We wanted to be able to work on a larger number of projects at the same time. Unfortunately, we’d tried working with multiple teams beforehand that proved ineffective. As a small company, we needed a capable partner who could scale our development resources up and out when necessary.

Feeling wary initially based on our experiences with other contractors, we started our off with a proof of concept project to make sure we felt comfortable working with BairesDev. During this initial endeavor, they proved their merit. Both their company itself and the engineers they provided were the right matches for us.

This particular collaboration focused on web development. Angular and Node.js were the primary technical skills we requested, but BairesDev can find resources for any type of development we need.

At this point, we're expanding our partnership for the next quarter. We will source a greater number of resources through BairesDev including QA engineers who can perform web-based automated end-to-end testing.

BairesDev assigned three resources to our project. We work with a developer, an account manager, and a project manager who checks in every two weeks from their team.

How did you come to work with BairesDev?

After working with several unsuccessful vendors in the past, we really wanted to find the right fit this time. BairesDev was quick to find and turn around high-quality candidates. They were very flexible about our collaboration and offered several options for the developers we contracted.

Many intangible factors aren't included in the cost, including the time we spent in meetings and my personal working hours. Since we purposefully integrated BairesDev within our team, certain variables are difficult to capture.

We first came across a sales representative from BairesDev earlier this year. Based on our email correspondence, we started working together in August 2018. We have an ongoing partnership.

We were fully satisfied with both BairesDev as a development firm and the individual resources they provided. They enable us to further our goals by increasing the number of projects we can tackle simultaneously. We've been impressed by the timeliness and reliability we've seen from the individuals on their team.

BairesDev helps us accomplish more work within a shorter timeframe than we ever could before. The caliber of their work has been consistently great. Since poor quality was a problem we frequently had with previous vendors, this was an important strength. As we move forward, we’re continuing to scale up our efforts together.

How did BairesDev perform from a project management standpoint?

BairesDev is very flexible about the way we work together. We found it more effective to integrate their resources into our internal teams rather than send them specifications to build alone and show us a few weeks later.

The developers participate in our daily standups as part of an Agile process. We used Zoom for communication and meetings with the account manager and project manager. The language discrepancy didn’t pose any challenges.

BairesDev has met all of our expectations and stuck to the deadlines. The developers were open to using whatever technology we use. Once we set them up on our Microsoft Teams account, they quickly adapted to our internal processes.

BairesDev performed especially well with identifying the exact type of candidates we wanted instead of sending us irrelevant options. They zeroed in on the specific resources we needed and always proposed people who were a good fit. Additionally, we appreciated their flexibility and quick pace.

I don't have any criticisms at this time. There are always areas for improvement, but we've been very pleased with our engagement and interactions with BairesDev. In fact, we're expanding our partnership as a result.

They've met or exceeded all of our expectations and delivered everything they promised to.

Staff Augmentation for Software Consulting Company

“Their developers are able to integrate quickly and efficiently into any project… .”

2016 - Ongoing

BairesDev has been using React, .NET, Sitecore, and Angular to assist with customer software projects. They’ve also provided recommendations to optimize QA and other practices.

Austin, Texas
Director of Operations, Software Consulting Firm

BairesDev is able to grasp exactly what is required of them and assign the resources immediately, helping the in-house team be more efficient. They go above and beyond to meet all needs, while their proactive approach and responsiveness to feedback made them an integral part of the team.

I'm the director of operations at a software consulting firm.

What challenge were you trying to address with BairesDev?

We were working on the projects that required many creative and engineering solutions, so we needed more developers to staff our teams.

They're using React, .NET Framework, Angular, Sitecore, and other technologies to help us build customer software. They always understand exactly what we're asking of them and provide valuable recommendations, especially when we leave gaps in our requirements. Also, they've helped us optimize some of our practices, such as QA.

They've assigned about 20 developers to our projects.

How did you come to work with BairesDev?

They were referred to us. It's convenient for us to work with a company in Latin America because we share the same hours and have the ability to talk to their team during the business hours.

We started working with them in 2016 and the relationship is ongoing.

Their developers are able to integrate quickly and efficiently into any project as if they've always been a part of our team. We can spend less time building detailed requirements and getting them on board with the project, which makes the process more effective.

How did BairesDev perform from a project management standpoint?

We don't use them for project management, but they're doing a great job from a communications standpoint. We use Slack, Jira, and email to stay in touch. They're very responsive and understand exactly what we need.

They're able to provide the resources we need–whether it's a React developer or a Sitecore developer–as soon as we ask them.

Nothing comes to mind.

Their team members are able to work as an integral part of your team. If you're looking for someone to work with a very limited set of requirements, you won't be taking full advantage of their capacity. They can recommend the things that are beyond the specifics that you request and their ideas will occasionally be better than yours.

They're very prompt and responsive.
    They deliver on expectations and respond immediately to any feedback.

Staff Augmentation for Mechanical Systems Company

"I’ve been very happy with what they deliver."

2014 - Ongoing

BairesDev is a long-term partner that provides specialized staff to boost internal development efforts with custom software, tackling various technologies, custom work, and data tracking systems.

Fayetteville, Arkansas
CIO, Mechanical Systems Company

Their efforts have helped significantly boost company growth over the past five years, through mobile-responsive, modern, and easy-to-use apps. BairesDev stands out with their effective communication, competitive prices, and wide range of talent, all of which contribute to a prolific partnership.

I’m the CIO for a mechanical subcontractor. We do plumbing, HVAC, and electrical installation in new residential construction spaces. We have a lot of custom software that we’ve written to help us manage labor and material efficiently.

What challenge were you trying to address with BairesDev?

We needed staff augmentation.

They provided developers to help us improve our custom software. We’re an ASP.NET shop that uses MySQL databases, Vue.js, Angular, and MVC. Our main application is in WinForms, which is an older ASP technology, but it’s something BairesDev is able to support. It’s a big deal for us to find someone that can still work in something like that. They also help us with the API that we’ve created.

We interact a lot with other applications like Google or WorldAPP, for which we’ve had to create apps that can go through and pull data. Overall, BairesDev has been able to help us to gather data from different systems and bring it into our main system.

This summer, we had some specific projects for our warehousing department. Our material in the construction industry represents 40% of our revenue. We required a better way for managing that material, so we hired one of their developers for a 10-week period. He came in, went into our systems, and revised and wrote new forms, tables, APIs, processes, and reports. He carefully examined and improved the way we track our data.

They have a salesperson and a project manager that work with me. They’ve assigned a sufficient amount of resources to my project, and if I have a problem with one of the developers, I reach out to their project manager, who handles it for me. I’ve worked with five or six of their developers over the years, but have only had a max of three at the same time. The very first one that I hired through them is still part of my staff.

How did you come to work with BairesDev?

I found them on LinkedIn. I had previously worked with a firm like theirs in South America, so I was familiar with their style. I was impressed with them from talking with their sales team and their CEO about their rates and what they could do. The rate I pay them is a lot less than what I would pay a full-time developer here.

We have invested between $50,000–$199,999.

We started working together at the end of 2014 and the collaboration is ongoing.

Over the past five years, our development team has helped a company of only 100 employees with a single app written in very old technology with an average database scheme grow into a company of over 300 employees. They’ve built many robust apps that are responsive, mobile friendly, and accessible, which helped the company become more modernized.

Furthermore, we’ve done a good job of getting the data that our field employees need on time and where they need it.

How did BairesDev perform from a project management standpoint?

I’m absolutely pleased with their communication. They’ve worked with the project management software I use, which is Basecamp or Asana. BairesDev’s staff communicate just as well, if not better than my in-house developers. We have daily stand-up meetings with our team and a monthly check-in with their sales and project management team, which really adds a lot of value.

I’ve worked with offshore and nearshore contractors, and it’s a huge win for us to work with a team that we don’t have to wait for 10 hours to reach. Another thing I really like about our arrangement is that they thought of everything, going as far as to include a rate in our contract for bringing one of their developers on site in case we need to.

Their key strengths include their diversity and portfolio. Other companies are successful, but they don’t have access to a wide range of developers. If you need someone that can write Android programs and also do HTML markup, BairesDev can handle it.

The second full-time hire we made with them was when we transitioned from using a mom-and-pop accounting package to full-blown SQL driven ERP software. They actually had a developer that could work with that tool. Even though he only worked with it a little bit, he at least had some knowledge. We were able to get him for $150 less per hour than if we had hired another company to consult and do the reports.

I would suggest that they train their developers further, but maybe this goes on without my knowledge. I don’t know how much they’re pouring into their staff, but I would love it if they were constantly adding skills to get better.

Overall Score It comes down to individual missteps here and there, but overall, I’ve been very happy with what they deliver.
    I haven’t hired their company to do work, only individual developers. Some of them hit deadlines and some don’t.
    I know what developers cost in the US, and these guys have just as much output as my developers do. The value I’m getting for them is extreme.
    The quality pertains to the individual developer. I’ve had some that have done better than others.
    I’ve recommended them to several friends and colleagues that need to cut costs.

Staff Augmentation for Data Services Company

“BairesDev provides reliable, top-notch development support on a daily basis.”

Jan. 2015 - Ongoing

BairesDev provides additional development staff to work on building a custom toolset, including frontend and backend work, QA testing, and API integration.

Westborough, Massachussetts
Software Development Manager, Data Services

BairesDev provides high-quality development services and resources. Their team is not only extremely responsive and flexible to client needs, but they're also thorough and proactive about catching bugs in a fast-paced environment. This allows the company to respond to customers rapidly.

I'm the software development manager for a data services solution company.

What challenge were you trying to address with BairesDev?

We decided to leverage some of the tools we had been using internally and start offering them to our customers and partners, so we needed to rapidly build up a development team that could start working on an externally-facing toolset.

BairesDev provided additional developers to work on three components of our platform: the backend, frontend, and QA. In addition to helping our team design the UI/UX, they helped us integrate APIs and test the platform. The technology stack included Groovy, Grails, MySQL, jQuery, and Selenium.

We work with a team of about 10 developers.

How did you come to work with BairesDev?

The relationship had started before I joined my company, but I significantly increased the number of resources we hired from their team. I was happy to continue working with them because they were already familiar with our work and culture. They've been very understanding of the types of resources we were looking for both from a security and technical perspective.

Our resources cost anywhere from $5,400–$6,000 per month, so we probably spend up to $60,000 per month in total.

We've been working together since January 2015.

BairesDev provides reliable, top-notch development support on a daily basis. If it weren't for their team, we wouldn't be able to do nearly as much as we have been over the last few years.

Not only do they provide basic development services, but they also help us sustain and assist in engineering support for our clients. They're great at catching and fixing bugs, especially when we rush things through. Thanks to this support, we're able to react quickly to our clients' needs.

How did BairesDev perform from a project management standpoint?

I'm very pleased with their communication overall. They've been flexible and adapted to using tools we prefer, such as Slack, and are proactive about keeping an updated calendar listing the availability of all the developers we work with.

They're very good at finding the right resources at any given time, depending on the role of the person we're looking for. They're also very responsive; it's rare that I ever have to follow up with them on anything.

In the beginning, they weren't as good about finding the right resources for certain aspects of work, but they've since learned very quickly how to select the best people for the task at hand.

They're extremely responsive.
    They're very competitively priced for their region.
    They provide high-quality resources and work compared to other providers I've contracted.

Staff Augmentation for Cryptocurrency Investment Company

“They provide excellent engineers and increase our talent pool. Their talent retention is also very good.”

n/a

2016 - Ongoing

BairesDev provides staff augmentation for a cryptocurrency investing company. They provide engineers and developers that specialize in Java, Scala, Android, iOS, and more.

Mountain View, California
VP, Engineering, Cryptocurrency Investment Firm

BairesDev has very good recruiting capabilities and access to the best resources in their area. They are responsive, attentive, and provide a high standard of work.

We try to make cryptocurrency investing simple, easy, and accessible to everyone globally. I’m the head of product engineering.

What challenge were you trying to address with BairesDev?

We were looking for engineering talent all over the world to augment our team.

We work primarily with them on Scala, Java, and Java Virtual Machine platforms. They allow us to find the best engineers in South America.

We work with a team of about eight. They’re a mix of Scala, Java, Android, and iOS developers.

How did you come to work with BairesDev?

They were selected before I came on board, but having a team in South America is advantageous. They’re in a similar time zone, so coordination is easy.

We spend somewhere between $600,000–$1.2 million annually.

They’ve worked with us since at least 2016. We have an ongoing relationship with them.

They’re very well-connected and have strong recruiting capabilities, which is great for us. They provide excellent engineers and increase our talent pool. Their talent retention is also very good.

How did BairesDev perform from a project management standpoint?

We don’t use them for project-related work, but I do work with their managers who watch over our account. They work through our issues and are very responsive. They focus on providing good service.

Again, their recruiting capability is terrific. They’re very reputable and have access to great talent. They work at a high standard and have connections all over South America.

They’re doing a good job. We still need more Scala developers, but they’re tough to find. That’s more of a general problem with the field.

• N/A Scheduling
    Not applicable

Web & App Dev for Digital Banking Startup

“BairesDev effectively sources and filters talent, building a team that perfectly fits our needs.”

Aug. 2017 - Ongoing

BairesDev developed web and mobile apps with core banking functionalities. Features include ACH and debit card capabilities, all of which are stored and connected through a cloud-based network.

CEO, Azlo

The entire team is highly skilled in financial services and provides consistently high-quality work. They have an open and transparent workflow, tracking progress and keeping on top of assignments.

I’m the CEO of Azlo, a startup that delivers core banking services for entrepreneurs and small businesses in the U.S.

What challenge were you trying to address with BairesDev?

We needed dev talent on a short timeframe to work on sophisticated financial service applications.

BairesDev worked on web and mobile apps that deliver core banking services through a cloud-based infrastructure. The apps deliver debit card and ACH functionalities in the U.S. for business banking account services. BairesDev provides resources for DevOps and architectural work, using JavaScript, Angular, and MongoDB as their primary stack. Most of their work involves our cloud, which is through Amazon.

We work with their CEO and a project manager.

They were a referral.

We began working together in August 2017, and the work is ongoing.

Their resources are skilled, and the work is high quality.

How did BairesDev perform from a project management standpoint?

They have good project management. We use a spreadsheet to track assignments and have our own system for managing the project.

BairesDev effectively sources and filters talent, building a team that perfectly fits our needs. They all have experience in financial services, which is exactly what we wanted.

They could be more sensitive to the markets they’re working in, especially when going between onshore and nearshore models.

Staff Augmentation for B2C Startup

“[W]e were very happy with the expertise and the fundamentals that [they] brought to the table.”

Sept. 2017 - Ongoing

BairesDev provides staff augmentation services to a startup in the early stages product development. The UX designer builds the screens and concept, while they provide resources quickly and for a low cost.

Founder, B2C Startup

Though still in the beginning stages, the team is able to source candidates transparently and in very good time. The team runs on Atlassian products and the project manager and designers provide a high level of professionalism and knowledge, integrating themselves well as part of the existing team.

I’m the COO [chief operating officer] of Howzbout, a startup company in Chicago. We are producing an application that has 2 aspects to it. A B2C consumer application is meant to take the indecision out of activity planning, with a social and communication twist. On the B2B side, it’s a performance marketing advertising platform where merchants can advertise performance models.

What challenge were you trying to address with BairesDev?

The initial challenge was to define a strategy for staff augmentation, primarily to find resources more quickly from a market perspective and also lower costs compared to what we get here local to Chicago.

We went through a couple of different plans and met it out to get the initial prototype built from a screen perspective. We’re in the midst right now of interviewing a developer and engineering candidates to actually build the prototype. It’s extremely early in the development. In addition to fundraising, we’re also in the process of building screens and the concept, which is where the UX [user experience] designer comes in. We’re not physically producing code yet.

From a design perspective, we’re using an app called Principle to display a lot of the screens. Much of the design and the development, we’ve used a product called Sketch App. We also leveraged several Google products like Drive.

For development, it will be an open source stack, mostly in languages like React on the frontend, NodeJS in the middle tier, and then MySQL on the backend and probably some Java. There’s going to be specific developer skillsets in Swift, which is the iOS development language, and Android for the Android mobile app.

We’ve interacted with 7–8 people all with different competencies. All the way from Ignacio [CEO, BairesDev] to a full-time UX designer, as well as a part-time project manager who handles some of the back office work. We spoke to a couple of them more frequently than the rest.

How did you come to work with BairesDev?

A former colleague of mine, who is the VP of engineering at a company in San Francisco, has a staff of 30–40 in BairesDev. He spoke very highly of Ignacio and the entire company and walked me through their value proposition and a number of reasons why they have such an investment with BairesDev. Several of his points were differentiators to me in terms of other shops I’ve worked with in the past. When the opportunity came to start this company, and start building an application, they were one of the first people I called.

We’ve spent $60,000–$70,000 in 3–4 months. We have a budget going into the next 2 years somewhere around $500,000–$750,000 in development costs.

We started working together in September 2017 and the work is ongoing.

I’ve been very happy with the results. The speed to market on getting resources was as fast as I thought it would be. It exceeded my expectations. We had a very transparent process of getting resumes and were able to communicate directly and interview the candidates.

We had our UX designer participating in things even outside of what he typically does. He would take our screens and prototypes and do some user testing with them. We don’t have the results from a functioning product to know that quality, but from a UX designer perspective, we’re very happy with the work completed. Ultimately, we’re going to know if it was successful when and if we’re able to raise the money to build it. The kind of screens and the prototype that they built will be kind of front and center in that process; it could be a big part of the equation in terms of success or failure where we go.

How did BairesDev perform from a project management standpoint?

We ran the whole team on Atlassian products, which is the combination of JIRA and HipChat for communication. We gave them access to our email as well. I had some issues communicating with some candidates that we would interview in the process. We were able to identify those quickly and found candidates that were a better fit from a communication perspective. Once the project was up and running, we were very happy with the expertise and the fundamentals that the project manager and the UX designer brought to the table. They are very fluent in running projects and how to communicate back and forth to stakeholders on a recurring and iterative basis so that there’s no long periods of time without feedback and detail and questions. We’re always in the loop on the status of the project.

The timezone local to Chicago with English speaking resources was also a huge value-add. They don’t treat themselves as an offshore or outsource development shop. They really pitch themselves as augmentation that is part of the team, the product, and the culture.

One of the primary motivators and differentiators that I saw was their culture that they are team members of ours. I have not seen that in my career working with other offshore development shop models. That and the fact that we’re allowed to interview and screen the candidates, has been great.

They tend to get a lot of candidates from all over South America. A good chunk of the people that we interviewed and talked to seemed to be working from home. We don’t have any problems with that, but it caused a lot of requirements to communicate strictly over a voice over IP protocol. We were doing a lot of interviews over Skype, for which I needed to be on a hard-wired phone. Oftentimes, I don’t think that shop was set up to do that and they were potentially reluctant to let them use their mobile phones. At times, there was a little bit of breakdown in terms of the quality of those conversations because we were using things like Skype on older, different phones, and operating systems. That’s the only improvement I can point to.

They hit every deadline.
    We were very happy with the value of the UX designer from a billable rate perspective and the quality of work we got. The project manager was good, but not as good value.
    Apart from the issues with the communication platforms, everything else about the quality was very high.
    You always want 90% of your requirements to be met and they definitely achieve that and more.

Staff Augmentation for Marketing & Technology Agency

“They are able to meet all of our expectations while maintaining the flow of the relationship.”

2014 - 2016

BairesDev used Javascript, along with other web-technology stacks, for iOS and Android frontend development. They continue to augment staff throughout the ongoing engagement.

Buenos Aires, Argentina
Director, R/GA Latin America

BairesDev’s flexible developers integrated quickly with the internal team, and they continue to adhere to timelines while remaining responsive. Their ability to consistently find talented, accurate resources stems from their thorough recruitment process.

I’m the president and managing director for R/GA in Latam, a company that was founded 40 years ago and is part of a holding group with 20 offices and 2,000 employees at a global level. We provide marketing, communication, and technology consulting, among other services. We are the developers of Nike+, which is Nike’s running system.

What challenge were you trying to address with BairesDev?

For this particular engagement, developers from BairesDev worked on a platform we developed for a client. It was an internal management platform for the end client’s buyers, clients, and points of sale in Buenos Aires, and was deployed to the rest of Argentina thereafter.

They were flexible in providing resources that were at the same level of our own engineers. They integrated with the rest of the team quickly, and worked in our own offices.

They used JavaScript for the frontend, along with other typical web technology stacks for both iOS and Android development.

For one of the projects, they assigned 3–4 resources, but for others, they mostly provide staff augmentation.

How did you come to work with BairesDev?

We’ve used them for 5 years as an outsourcing company. They recruited candidates to have them hired as full-time employees. Afterwards, we started using them as vendors as an alternative for other projects that required more flexibility.

We’ve spent between $100,000–$200,000.

We worked on this particular project from 2014–2015, but our relationship is ongoing.

Their flexible structure allows us to use talent that would otherwise be very difficult or expensive to acquire. They’ve been able to fulfill our expectations, and if we don’t like 1 of the developers, we’re able to change them. Their resources are fast, and as a staff augmentation partner, they’ve responded really well without any issues or effects on our timeline.

How did BairesDev perform from a project management standpoint?

There are expectations on both sides of the relationship. They are able to meet all of our expectations while maintaining the flow of the relationship. Their resources are assigned, and then we have the final responsibility. They base their skills on our requirements, which are really good. They’re flexible in extending periods and looking for nontypical resources, which has made for an overall positive relationship.

Generally, they have a low rotation in terms of project managers, which saves us from having to start completely over.

Their response times and ability to always have someone we can call are great. If there is a developer who doesn’t fit our mold, we’re able to change them out. They have a series of online exams used to have a standardized filter of developer profiles.

We have high standards. The initial phase in which they bring several candidates can be somewhat tiring, so they could benefit from tuning this area a bit. I would like for this process to be easier, but I’m not sure if that’s possible.

Overall Score We don’t use other firms.
    We hire them for staff augmentation, and deadlines are managed by our team.
    They are more expensive than having internal resources. They’re not the cheapest, but their price is really good.
    They are able to meet the project expectations and provide the skill sets we’re looking for.

Staff Augmentation for Travel Booking Services Platform

"They're constantly talking to us and willing to set-up meetings, even at the senior leadership level, to discuss ways in which we can partner with them in a better way."

2014 - 2017

In this ongoing relationship since 2014, BairesDev provides staff augmentation services, including pre-screening developer candidates based on skills, location, and cultural fit for the travel booking solutions company.

New Orleans, Louisiana
CTO, Travel Booking Services Firm

BairesDev's developers provided really good results for the company. They are extremely responsive, proactive, they communicate up, and are creative thinkers. Their level of organization in pre-screening recruiting and onboarding is what differentiates them.

Introduce your business and what you do there

We're a boutique software provider in New Orleans, Louisiana that has been in business for over 10 years. We work primarily in the travel technology space, partnering with Fortune 500 companies.

I am the director of technology and I oversee all of our architecture and development efforts. That includes building the team and making sure they have what they need, establishing requirements, and basically everything it takes to run a development department.

What challenge were you trying to address with BairesDev?

We primarily work with BairesDev through a staff augmentation engagement. Some companies offer resources, developers, and whatever it takes to get a software product done. We actually had a lot of this in-house. We have our own QA apart. We've got our own business analysts. We are a boutique software development company.

We were struggling to find local developers in New Orleans. There's a shortage nationwide in the US, as everyone knows, and in New Orleans is actually a lot worse. We definitely have a core group of developers based in New Orleans, but at the pace and scale that we were growing, the available resource pool is not big enough for what we needed. We started looking into different companies that could help us augment our staff.

We found BairesDev and we like them because they weren't as big as the Globants or the Accentures of the world. They were more in line with the kind of company we are, which isn't a giant corporation but we're not a small startup either. Culturally, it was a nice fit. We knew we would get more of the attention we needed in terms of finding talent and evaluating them. We do work with some other partners in Central and South America, but BairesDev is one of the largest ones we work with.

The collaboration consists of a number of different projects. We have a platform and we offer services on top of that platform. We primarily were using Ruby, J-Ruby, Javascript's, some Java, some NodeJS. We're pretty language agnostic though. We always look at any new tech that might represent the right tool for the current job we're doing.

We've got up to 20 developers from BairesDev right now. We've been working with them for well over three years. The team dynamic is great. I'll have to emphasize, our relationship is staff augmentation.

We let them know we need a developer with a specific skill-set and they'll send us resumes. We're at a point now where they're just constantly sending us resumes. We told them to keep sending them and if anything catches our eye, we'll move forward with an interview. We put all the candidates through our own technical interview and also interview them on culture, and other aspects. By the time we bring them on to the team, we're treating them as if we had hired them directly in New Orleans. We wanted to work primarily with developers in South and Central America just to keep it in the same time zone. They're distributed on a team that could have people from our New Orleans office, from our Austin office, or even working with contractors and other providers.

They all report to managers or team leads that we have in-house. The team dynamic's great because BairesDev does a good job screening first and then we can narrow it down with our own screening. The hit rates are usually really good. Working with them over the years, they really got a sense of our DNA and what clicks and works in our environment, so now they do that job on pre-screening on their end.

How did you come to work with BairesDev?

They found us. It was the right time because we were searching around and we were trying to find some alternatives to augmenting our staff. I actually got an email from one of the account managers over there. They came at a nice time when we were vetting companies. We did a standard comparison grid and looked at everything from average rate to time zones, to how large is the company, to how deep is their bench. We talked to them about how they recruit, how they screen and more. Those were some of the major factors that came into play. I think that because of the size of the company they are, they were right the right fit for us.

How much have you invested with BairesDev?

[Confidential]

The collaboration started in 2014.

The quality of the work is really related to the quality of the people and team members that have them. The pre-screening that they do helps because if you can spend less time interviewing, usually the people that are doing the interviews are key resources that we need working on the product. Every hour I pull them out to go and do an interview is key and if it doesn't work out, that's a hit. That was very helpful. By the time we get a team member on board, retention is very high, especially for contractors and definitely just developers as a whole.

Our average tenure is 2.5 years, which for a company like us is incredibly helpful because our platform is large and it takes a while to get ramped up. If our retention rates are low where we've got a lot of churns, it actually really affects our bottom line. I think that this has been a big factor. Speaking back to the culture, usually people we've brought on board with their staff are more heads-up developers and they're going to communicate, which again is really helpful because it's common for developers sometimes to get caught in rabbit holes and not raise their hand for help, communicate, or update their managers and product managers.

We've had really good results from BairesDev's developers. They communicate up and are very proactive and creative thinkers. It really doesn't feel like you're dealing with a contractor. This has been our experience.

How did BairesDev perform from a project management standpoint?

We do most of our product management in-house. We do have an assigned project manager through BairesDev but they are primarily more of a human resource manager for us. If we are having any personnel issues, for whatever reason, they're there to help and they make sure that things get corrected and move smoothly. That's primarily how we work with them on a product manager basis. They'll also help with schedules. We have pretty stringent time logging requirements. Everybody in the company logs time down to the 15-minute increments on different tasks that are working on. As you can imagine that can be difficult to herd people into complying with that.

One of the other benefits that their staff brings is that their product managers will help us if there are any issues around time sheets, resolving them and the like. Really anything that we need to support the staff administratively.

What did you find most impressive about BairesDev?

They're extremely responsive in my experience and that was key for us. They're constantly talking to us, willing to set up meetings, even at the senior leadership level, to discuss ways in which we can partner with them in a better way and provide more services. They're trying to help us streamline and leverage their services better. I never really feel a lot of pressure from them from a sales perspective. They are there to help. They're very responsive, to the point that their CEO visited our offices. We were able to work out special arrangements with him that were unique to our situation. They even talk to us through all the methods that they use, technical practicals, down to the more culturally and soft-skill base. I think that the responsiveness and the level of organization they bring to recruiting and onboarding differentiates them.

Are there any areas BairesDev could improve?

Early on, we talked to them about a relationship in which they can take on more. Instead of providing straight staff, QA, devs that just distribute themselves in our organization. That we actually hire a cross-functional team from them, provide more specs and then they can execute on it. We weren't interested in that in the beginning. I think over time working with them, we became more interested in it and again, they're not hard up sellers with us. So I think that this is on us for just not following-up on it much. I didn't get the sense that they provided as much of that.

I think that's maybe something that could have been a little more proactive, that we discussed transitioning into that kind of relationship and that may come. But that's the only thing I can really think of for now. I think for us, one of the downsides to working with any contracting company or contractors, is that you're not in direct control of their compensation, even though you're trying to foster a more direct relationship, it makes it harder because there's just things on the administrative human resources side that to some extent is going to remain opaque to us. But I think that's the nature of the business.

Overall Score I rarely give fives but they’re close to perfect. We wouldn’t be working with them if that wasn’t the case.
    In relation to responsiveness around hiring. They're not really involved at the product planning aspects or delivery.
    The nature of doing nearshoring is that it is a lower rate than what you're going to find in the U.S. If you can get qualified candidates, there's a lot of value there and I think that's that's what we’ve had with BairesDev.
    for all the reasons that stated before, the responsiveness and their help in pre-screening in identifying qualified candidates.
    Very likely. It depends on each person’s unique use case and how they want to leverage BairesDev. But there's a lot of responsiveness and engagement even at the senior leadership level which is really nice about a company their size.

Staff Augmentation for Software Company

"BairesDev is really pleasant to work with."

n/a

$1,000,000 - $9,999,999

Sept. 2016 - Ongoing

BairesDev provides development work on a staff augmentation capacity to ramp up the time to market for the product. An 11–13 person team handles app dev using Java and React technologies.

1,000 - 2,000 Employees

Salt Lake City, Utah
Program Manager, Software Firm

BairesDev is a trustworthy, knowledgeable, and adaptable development partner. Their main strength lies in the fact that they are a better cultural fit for clients in the US, being from South America. They also know how to push back and ask questions when appropriate, which provides added value.

I am the program manager of an EdTech company based out of Salt Lake City.

What challenge were you trying to address with BairesDev?

We’re developing a system that we’re looking to launch in the marketplace.

We’re working on an enterprise application that has a Java backend and uses React on the frontend.

We had 11–13 developers from BairesDev that supplemented our internal efforts, but I can’t go into further details since we’re a publicly traded company.

How did you come to work with BairesDev?

We had exhausted the Ruby on Rails local talent and decided to switch to Java in order to reduce hosting costs and expand our horizons. We needed to deliver something to market pretty quickly and we knew we couldn’t do that by hiring in the local market. We also knew there weren’t any other attractive options in the US.

Our company has recently focused on co-location and its benefits, so we’ve been trying to co-locate as many internal employees as possible in the same place. As we analyzed all the business objectives, we knew we were going to have to look into outsourcing.

We did a worldwide search including the US, Eastern Europe, India, South America, and Latin America. Based on the timeline, technical ability, and price, we were able to choose the top 3 companies and decided to try out a couple of those firms. After 4 or 5 months, we dropped one of the vendors because they clearly weren’t what we wanted. We found a good way to work with BairesDev and have been working with them ever since.

How much have you invested with BairesDev?

We’ve spent between $3 million–$5 million so far, including internal costs. We spend $100,000 per month with BairesDev.

We started working on some test projects in September 2016 and on the actual project in October 2016. The relationship is ongoing.

We trust them. We’ve gone after a lot of the best engineers in the Salt Lake and Utah Valleys, but the market is really unstable in the US right now. We have extremely smart engineers, and after 4 years of working with this company, we’ve never had to engage an external vendor before. We’ve explored a couple of options, but have never been happy with the results. This is the first time we’ve been able to make it work, which speaks to the adaptability of BairesDev’s engineers.

Their technical ability is solid. It’s not what we would demand of a senior engineer here; I would call them mid-level engineers. There are 2 or 3 of their developers that have been exceptional, and we would hire them full time if the circumstances were right.

How did BairesDev perform from a project management standpoint?

We use JIRA to assign tasks and Slack for communication. We do daily standups over video conferencing to get on the same page quicker.

What did you find most impressive about BairesDev?

They have strong technical abilities and are adaptable. Also, their personalities align better to the US culture. I’ve used Eastern European and Indian vendors before and have consistently had problems because of the cultural differences.

In India and Eastern Europe, the engineers were overly deferent and didn’t push back appropriately. They also weren’t up front about things. In South America, a lot of the developers are more independent and line up with our culture better; they push back and ask a lot more questions. BairesDev is really pleasant to work with, overall.

Are there any areas BairesDev could improve?

We’ve had to go through some process improvements. Them not being passive was a positive thing, but we also needed to help them find the right balance. We wanted them to push back but our internal team needed to own the future technical requirements and would need to provide the technical direction of the project in order to have the right amount of ownership.

We helped BairesDev understand that and let them know that we were going to own the technical direction but that they can ask questions and push back where appropriate. Once we lock down the technical direction, we need everyone to get in line with that. We had issues where people weren’t getting in line after we made decisions and that was painful, but we were able to knock off those rough edges quickly and have a good working relationship.

Overall Score The fact that our company has gone from not trusting any vendors to being able to integrate with them speaks highly of them.
  • N/A Scheduling
    They’re just augmenting our team, so they’re following our timeline.
    I’m pretty happy, but it could always be better.
    They’ve been extremely dedicated. They have a program manager on their side who does a lot and makes sure the customer experience we have is great.
    I have referred them already.

Gold