A Digital Marketing firm, with a strange name

Established in 2008 Awkward Media has helped small to medium sized businesses grow their revenue through our digital marketing and branding efforts. We make sure to work closely with our clients to fully understand their brand, business, industry and competitors to create tailored solutions to their unique problems.

Our services include:

Awkward Media
309-1205 Queen St W
Toronto, ON

Social Media and SEO for Food Suppliers

“Awkward's efforts have increased traffic to our websites and, more importantly, overall sales.”

Sept. 2017 - Ongoing

Awkard Media developed and executed a social media and targeted ad words campaign, and provided SEO services for two websites. They continue to maintain and report their results monthly.

Lan Wong
Owner, Low Carb Canada

Awkward's efforts have increased website traffic, social media engagement, and sales. Both transparent and responsive, their team is great about managing expectations and communicating strategy in layman's terms. They focus on results both in the short and long term.

I'm the president and CEO of Low Carb Canada. We have two websites: lowcarbcanada.ca and zeroodle.com.

What challenge were you trying to address with Awkward Media?

We had been utilizing Google Ad Words for our websites for a number of years without a strategy. We were looking for a vendor with expertise in digital marketing, including social media and target ad word campaigns, that could help improve our online performance and sales.

I wanted to reach more customers using these platforms without spending hundreds of thousands of dollars, so I was looking for scalable solutions with a proven ROI.

They developed and executed a social media and targeted ad words campaign, followed by an SEO overhaul of our websites.

Awkward Media was given full access to the backend of our websites to rework our text as needed. Based on their feedback and observance of competitor websites, they create SEO strategies and ad campaigns month to month.

I mainly worked with Zarrar Rasool (Director, Awkward Media).

How did you come to work with Awkward Media?

A friend of mine had worked with them before and recommended to me. I decided to give them a shot, and the results have been positive thus far.

We've invested just under $7,792 thus far.

We've been working them for about five months since around November 2017. They continue to monitor and track our online performance, providing monthly updates.

Awkward's efforts have increased traffic to our websites and, more importantly, overall sales. We're seeing a lot more engagement on social media as well.

How did Awkward Media perform from a project management standpoint?

Thus far, they've delivered on all of their promises and are transparent about their work and managing our expectations. Initially, their team worked closely with us to ensure they understood our goals and we understood their strategies. At this point, I trust them to run campaigns with little oversight.

Every couple of weeks, their team sends a performance report to me and are always available should I have any questions. For more specific campaigns, I may call them on the phone to go over my objectives in more detail.

They're personable and break down the technical components of their work into layman's terms. I appreciate that they communicate what I need to know and don't try to impress me with technical jargon that I don't have time to understand.

They also genuinely take the time to understand the needs of our business and where we want to be in the short and long term. They proactively seek areas that could help us reach our goals.

No. While everyone has room for improvement, I'm happy with their work overall.

Understand what you want and lay out a roadmap in collaboration with their team. They'll help you achieve your goals, but it's unrealistic to expect them to tell you what you what those goals should be.

SEO & Web Design for Building Maintenance Company

“You can immediately establish a good relationship with Awkward Media because they’re so easygoing.”

Awkward Media redesigned an existing website and provided SEO services (creating keyword lists, adjusting content) to increase online visibility.

Ontario, Canada
Sunny Punia
President, Flawless Building Maintenance

The redesign has garnered positive feedback, resulting in a steady influx of online leads and increasing revenue by up to 25% over the past year. Awkward Media was responsive, quick to solve issues, and able to provide tailored advice to meet individual business needs.

I’m the owner of Flawless Building Maintenance. We’re a full-service provider for commercial buildings in need of property maintenance, janitorial services, etc.

What challenge were you trying to address with Awkward Media?

We’ve been in the industry for about 12 years but never really established our name on the web, so we wanted to create an online presence. We were looking to develop a website and needed some help with SEO.

We had a previous website that they enhanced for me. They fixed all the content and basically rebuilt the site. They also assisted with SEO optimization and in creating a list of keywords.

My main point of contact was Zarrar (President, Awkward Media). I also received frequent calls from people who worked for him to see how things were going, whether I was getting more leads, or if I had any questions.

How did you come to work with Awkward Media?

A friend who had used them before referred us. I reached out and asked for some help with designing the website and SEO. I called one or two other places, but they didn’t sound like they knew what they were doing.

We worked with them in 2017.

The site looks nice and I’ve been getting really positive feedback. I’m happy with it. We’ve had a steady stream of online leads over the last 6–7 months since they enhanced our SEO, which has been really good. It’s increased my business revenue by almost 20%–25% over the year.

How did Awkward Media perform from a project management standpoint?

They were really good. They called me back quickly anytime I contacted them and resolved all issues in a very timely manner.

There a lot of people who offer SEO services, but not many know what it takes to get the results. I wasted my money when I tried it a couple of years ago. I decided to try it again with Awkward and I’ve seen a lot of results with the leads that are coming in.

I couldn’t ask for more. They’re doing the most that they can.

Zarrar is very easy to get along with. He doesn’t make it seem too formal and will tell you everything exactly how it is. He’s very business-minded and will give you any advice he sees fit for your situation. You can immediately establish a good relationship with Awkward Media because they’re so easygoing.

SEO and Digital Strategy for Legal Firm

“They’re a great team and easy to work with.”

Jan. 2015 - Ongoing

Awkward provides SEO and design strategy to increase organic traffic and web presence. They developed a keyword list to integrate with blog posts and will continue to provide web design and PPC services.

Marketing Manager, Legal Firm

With an emphasis on customer service and personable interactions, Awkward is collaborative, responsive, and capable of high-quality work. By offering effective SEO practices and intelligent website design, they increased organic search rankings. They deliver projects with impeccable speed and care.

I’m a marketing manager for a legal firm.

What challenge were you trying to address with Awkward Media?

We wanted to increase our online presence and organic search ranking primarily on Google. This is our first time working on SEO with an external vendor.

Awkward worked with us to utilize opportunities and leverage content on our website to better reach an audience in need of our services. To accomplish this, they enhanced our blogging presence with SEO content. We worked collaboratively with them to establish a keyword list to use with blog content. We draft our blog entries but share them with Awkward to ensure the word choice and topic selection is best serving SEO. They fine-tune the list and send regular reports on how everything is performing. There’s quite a bit of communication back and forth in that regard.

Additionally, they updated our website by reorganizing some material and adding opportunities for our existing social media information to be shared from page-to-page. A lot of the design work centered on content, contact forms, and social media. We manage our social media, but they influenced how it appears on our page and how users interact with it. We’re expanding our engagement with them to include website design and PPC services.

We primarily communicate with their director. When he’s not available, we work with two of his associates.

How did you come to work with Awkward Media?

They were introduced to us by another vendor we were using for a different service. Our business relationship with them grew from there.

We’ve spent $10,000–$50,000.

We started working together January 2015 and the relationship is ongoing.

Awkward’s work improved organic traffic to our website. The content they produce meets our expectations and represents the business well.

How did Awkward Media perform from a project management standpoint?

They’re always on time if we need to add new elements spontaneously and can pivot to help us respond to an issue or new project. They really value customer service, so the director prefers to work with us directly.

It’s amazing how quickly they get things done. If one person can’t complete a task, they promptly assign another person to handle it. We always receive some sort response from them on the same day we reach out. Friendly service and quick turnaround time are often two features hard to come by in marketing services.

No. Not at this time.

Overall Score They’re a great team and easy to work with.

SEO Services for Spa

"Awkward Media has been the best partner I’ve worked with so far."

Apr. 2016 - Ongoing

Awkward Media creates and manages SEO and Google AdWords campaigns to drive local business and boost online hits. Other tasks include modernizing the website’s UX/UI, A/B testing, and drafting blog content.

Ontario, Canada
Director, HairFree Laser Skin Clinics

Each month, progress reports indicate steady SEO improvement, organic growth, and increased web traffic. Awkward Media’s rapid turnaround time, transparent service options, and results-focused attitude continue to strengthen the collaboration.

I’m the director of HairFree Laser Skin Clinics, a medical spa company. We do anything and everything that deals with beauty, weight loss, plastic surgery, hair loss, etc.

What challenge were you trying to address with Awkward Media?

It’s hard to stay competitive with digital media, especially since my business is in Toronto. It’s very competitive here. I needed more exposure and SEO. I’ve worked with a lot of digital companies who weren’t really personal and didn’t follow up. Awkward Media has been the best partner I’ve worked with so far. They set reasonable rates and realistic expectations. A lot of other companies promised the world and don’t deliver.

Awkward Media helps with SEO, Google AdWords, and retargeting. For SEO, Awkward Media gave me keywords, and I chose what I wanted. They showed me the number of hits that each word could potentially bring. We wanted to appear in the top 3 positions. With AdWords, they’re constantly optimizing my campaign and saving me money. They tell me optimal times to put out content and also helped me update the website a few times for conversion optimization. They changed the appearance and made it look more up-to-date. They adjusted placement and added calls to action, A/B testing, etc. We also have a blog that they created. They draft content for the blog on a weekly basis based on what I want them to write.

How did you come to work with Awkward Media?

I heard about them through another client of theirs. The other companies I had worked with were expensive but weren’t delivering. Their customer service wasn’t personal. Awkward Media works with me every step of the way.

How much have you invested with Awkward Media?

I’ve spent between $35,000 and $40,000 with them over the course of our relationship.

We started working with them in April of 2016, and the work is ongoing.

I’ve had steady growth organically, and traffic flow has increased significantly. I get a report every month showing the progress of their SEO work, which has been improving steadily. I have a lot of first-page rankings since working with Awkward Media. I would still like the leads and conversions to be improved. They’re constantly doing A/B testing to increase those conversions.

Clients always tell me that they love our blog content. I push over the social media feed we get. We have people conversing with us.

How did Awkward Media perform from a project management standpoint?

They handle the project very well. They respond really quickly when I have an inquiry. If I need a change to be made, it’s usually done within 48 hours. We meet for lunch every 3–4 weeks and communicate several times a week over email.

What did you find most impressive about Awkward Media?

Their customer service is great. I don’t feel like just a client, which is important to me.

Are there any areas Awkward Media could improve?

For what they offer, they’re honest about their weaknesses. They explain where they can deliver results. I’ve worked with a lot of companies, and nobody really knows how to drive conversions. If someone could figure that out, it’d be great.

We’ve had some scheduling conflicts when they’ve been a bit slow.
    Sometimes, I’ve been charged small costs that weren’t discussed previously.
    There’s always a little room for improvement.