Rocket-fueled app development

We’re world class at making cool mobile and web apps, but we only succeed if you succeed. We’ve grown through recommendations from satisfied customers so the overall customer experience is just as important to the final product. We strongly believe in: communication, transparency, honesty, and clarity of pricing.

When you partner with Applikey, you’re not just hiring a design and development team, you’re hiring a guide that can walk with you through the steps to launching your successful app project.

Get a Free Quote at [email protected]

SlipShare

Stylu

Designer Wardrobe

Web and Mobile App Dev for Boat Sharing Platform

"I've appreciated Applikey Solutions' ability to work as an independent group."

Applikey Solutions developed an intelligible web user interface using Ruby on Rails, followed up by iOS and Android mobile applications for boaters to book slips online.​

Stamford, Connecticut
Paul Norton
CEO, Slipshare

The client cited the design work and the mobile application as first-grade and rock-solid. He appreciated Applikey Solutions’ ability to work independently, their great service and communications about their goals and deadlines, and orderly workflow.

SlipShare has built a platform which allows boaters to book a slip online. The concept is relatively new to boating in general. I am a co-founder of the company.

What challenge were you trying to address with Applikey Solutions?

We had a strong idea, but our company did not have a strong technology person. We have business backgrounds, so we've relied heavily on Applikey Solutions. Our goal was to build a simple user interface, which would be easy to understand, and which followed conventions that both Android and iOS users would understand, in order for them to make bookings quickly and conveniently.

How did you come to work with Applikey Solutions?

My wife and I won the Startup Weekend in Stamford. A lot of work had been put into our concept so that we couldn't throw it away. I had managed a lot of outsourced projects for various applications in the past, so I felt confident that we wouldn't have to go out and hire people. We interviewed various development shops in New York, Pennsylvania, Boston, Brazil, India, and Ukraine. We hired a short-term consultant for this process. The Ukraine group was particularly appealing in its work method and understanding of our goals. The company was also willing to continue beyond the development phase itself. Our idea from the start was to hire a partner that would serve as our technical backend.

How much have you invested with Applikey Solutions?

The cost of our project with Applikey Solutions was within $10,000 and $50,000. The value for the money we've spent has been phenomenal. I know how much the same work would have cost in New York and Boston.

We have an ongoing collaboration for enhancements and changes to the software. This wasn't exactly Applikey Solutions' model, but they've been open to the proposition.

There were a few bugs we've had to work through, but the design work was first-grade, and the app itself is rock-solid.

We've gone to boat shows and demoed the app to a couple of hundred people on the same day, all of which have loved it, and were surprised that no one had done this before. It reflects the knowledge that we were able to bring to the table as boaters, but, more importantly, Applikey Solutions' skill and understanding of what makes a good app.

We use Amazon Web Services, and payments are done through Braintree. I've only had to do a bit of research and come up with recommendations for the direction I wanted Applikey Solutions to take. I'm not a technology person, but Applikey Solutions has taken care of this side of the work for me.

How did Applikey Solutions perform from a project management standpoint?

I've appreciated Applikey Solutions' ability to work as an independent group. Regarding communication, the toughest part was getting Applikey Solutions to understand what we were doing. Their location is nowhere near a boat, but, once Applikey Solutions' team understood what we were about, we were off to the races. At one point, I was getting ready to visit their office personally, to simplify the back-and-forth, but things came together by themselves.

We employed a basic user story process in the beginning. At one point, Applikey Solutions introduced Trello into the project, which made things very easy. I can manage priorities, it's clear where everything is in the process, and Applikey Solutions is very clear about goals, which were usually met near the deadlines. We had an orderly flow of work.

What did you find most impressive about Applikey Solutions?

I have worked on much higher-level projects, not ones on this scale. A part of why we went to Ukraine was cost, which is a fraction of what we'd have spent elsewhere. Even so, I don't feel that I've compromised on quality. I was prepared for this to happen, but it didn't. The service and communication have been great.

Are there any areas Applikey Solutions could improve?

We've had an adjustment period in the beginning, but that was it.

I don't push timelines hard on development projects, but rather work at an incremental pace. There are too many unknowns in this type of work, so it would be unfair to penalize Applikey Solutions for any delays.
    Applikey Solutions was in charge of bug checking, so we found very few of them. The time scale was also excellent.
    I've recommended Applikey Solutions to someone in the business, who has used them for several projects.