Bringing to life your digital vision

Applaudo Studios provides full Software Development services for Top Tier Customers in the United States, the Americas, and Europe. Our team of iOS, Android and Web Developers have created some of the most amazing products in the mobile and web world.

We take care of projects from the Inc500, Fortune500 and some of the most amazing Startups around; Applaudo Studios can also support staff augmentation, temporary resource staffing needs for your company.

From our offices in Austin, New York, and DC and our development centers located in the heart of Paradise in Central America we will have you covered for anything Mobile and Web.

Austin, TX
  • Colonia San Benito
    San Salvador
    El Salvador
  • Guadalajara
    Mexico

Our customer list includes large Fortune500 Mobile Apps, world leading consumer brands, and some of the largest Software Developers in the United States; the projects that Applaudo Studios has worked on add up to tens of millions of downloads on iOS and Android.

GOODWIN CUSTOM HOMES

Goodwin Custom Homes is a Construction & Real Estate company in Charlotte, North Carolina.

We spent a lot of time talking to the owners and their passion for quality and innovative materials was evident. We decided to develop a new, refreshed graphic system that complemented their brand and conveyed the qualities found on their work. Then, we designed a brand new website with big galleries and case

studies with full-sized images to allow the details to come up. In the end, Goodwin Custom Homes became a website that reflected the passion and care that is put into each one of their homes.

BENCHMARK

Benchmark is a fully automated, all-in-one solution that provides a comprehensive, holistic approach to managing, developing and growing policy departments and officers.

Agile in its core. Applaudo manages the software development cycle using agile methodologies adapting to client needs during production.

Transparent by design. Our process provides granular visibility all

the way from the code level to the management of the product roadmap and the people behind them.

Larger than just code. We work along side University of Chicago Scientists to leverage their research and turn it into a holistic product.

Google Analytics - Sentry - Sendgrid

NBC

Applaudo's partnership with Phunware Inc helped us become part of the team that developed NBC's app for Android. The app features a user experience focused around giving visibility to programming on-the-go, across any device, with in-app experiences ranging from episode previews to special content and live streaming services.

Adobe Primetime - ExoPlayer - Retrofit -

AppsFlyer

CBS

Applaudo worked along with CBS and Phunware Inc on a Streaming platform for CBS, specifically for Apple TV. The app allows CBS subscribers access CBS live TV channels and watch online series through their AppleTV devices, provide location based content and generate analytics to improve the advertising network.

TVML - XML - CBS API - LiveTV Streaming - Analytics or Google

Analytics

THE CW

A new challenge came along to Applaudo: Design, develop and scale two streaming apps for Android and iOS for The CW Network where users can watch their favorite shows for free, no subscription or login required and implementing streaming-specific analytics and advertising tools.

The CW Network is an American English-language broadcast television network that streams the latest shows like Black Lightning, The

Flash, Jane The Virgin, DC’s Legends of Tomorrow Whose line is it anyway?, Everwood and more.

Integrations:

AVFoundation - Core Spotlight - Push Notifications - Associated Domains - BlueKai Analytics - Kochava Analytics - mParticle Analytics - Flurry Analytics - Google Cast SDK - Google Mobile Ads - Google Interactive Media Ads - Crashlytics - Branch - DS Video - Realm

LAMUSICA

LaMusica is a free digital video, radio, music and entertainment service that offers access to radio stations, video and music for free through their website. Applaudo addressed scalability issues given its exponential growth of users by developing a mobile platform for Android and iOS that features curated playlists, live radio streaming, automated playlists based on genre or artists, audio and banner ads and short

videos.

Integrations:

Open Source Aura Framework - 7 Digital - ExoPlayer - JWPlayer - Senzari - Retrofit - OkHttp - Glide - Calligraphy - LeakCanary - Material Dialogs - Google Gson - ComScore - ID Matching API

FOX NOW

FOX NOW is a VOD and streaming platform that provides access to free and premium content from several local and national channels. Applaudo designed, developed, launched and scale the FOX NOW app for Android, iOS and tvOS. Several Analytics libraries were implemented like Heartbeat, Segment, Adobe Analytics and Localytics. TrueX was also implemented to deliver advertisement.

&nbsp

;

Alamofire - Google Cast SDK - Optimizely - Segment Analytics - AppsFlyer

iOS Development for Social Networking App

"It's something I'll do differently next time: be very specific and detailed in the contract."

Feb. 2015 - Dec. 2016

An entrepreneur created a professional networking app for strangers to meet up without exchanging personal details.

Startup

New York Metro Area
Aleeta Bell
Founder, Pluhg

The partnership ceased after the client felt nickel-and-dimed too much for features assumed to be implied in the scope agreement. The incomplete app didn't meet expectations for performance, quality, or features. Applaudo delivered the code-base for the paid deliverables.

We have developed an app called Pluhg. It is a social networking app that allows people to introduce friends and associates who don't know each other in a neutral space that doesn't require them to pass out personal information.

I am the founder of the company.

What challenge were you trying to address with Applaudo Studios?

I was looking for Applaudo to build out the app for me from beginning to end, including the front-end user interface, the coding, and the backend database.

I was looking for a developer to design and also provide some consulting services, as far as the app layout, features, and functionalities that should be included. I was looking for them to design the front-end user interface, and take on the coding (the piece between the front-end and the backend database). I made it clear that I wanted a simple-to-use and very intuitive app. I also made it clear that, for anything that a person was looking to do in the app, I didn't want them to have to click around and figure it out. I wanted them to be able to get to whatever it is they're trying to do within 2-3 clicks.

The app did not turn out well. It didn't fulfill the requirements that I gave them. They coded and produced an app that fulfilled the basic core requests that were in our contract. The problem was that if I said "a user should be able to upload a comic, or this particular picture, or something called pluhg-cards", they would code the abilities for a user to upload a comic, but not the ability for them to delete it. For me, this sounds like a complementary functionality. They said that I didn't ask for that in my documents, that it was another feature, and that they were going to charge more money.

Additionally, if I asked for something specific in the contract, like a checkbox on the profile page which said "do you want to do X, Y, Z?” they would code and include the checkbox, but there was no logic behind it. I would go back to them and say "You can check the box, but nothing happens. If I'm asking you ‘Would you like to stop this process?’ I would think you would include the coding for the process to stop." They said "No, you just asked us to put a checkbox there. We didn't put the logic behind it. If you want the logic, we're going to charge more money."

Those are the types of issues I've had with them. Not only that, the app that they produced for me most recently continues to crash, the login button does not work, and I have about 50 beta testers that have been testing it out with me. They are saying that they don't know what the problem is, they don't know how to fix it, and they're saying that they don't see the issue on their side. However, I was able to login to my iTunes account and confirm that they were actually receiving crash reports.

Another thing that they couldn't get working properly on the app are the notifications. iOS apps have little red indicators on the outside which say "something new has happened, click on the app". They couldn't get the notifications working properly, and couldn't get the right number to appear on the outside of the app. The only thing that they could get to appear was the number 1. On the app, I could've had 4-5 people send me a comment and multiple activities, but I wouldn't know. When I talked to them about it, they said that they couldn't figure out how to fix it. The only thing they could do was to put a "1" indicator on the outside of the app.

Overall, it was very poor work. Not only that, I've just ended a call this morning with my new developer that I've transferred the project to; they have gone through the code and have found several issues outside of what I identified. If I want those issues fixed, I've got to pay them. Overall, it was a very bad experience with Applaudo.

They have constantly said "we're going to fix it", but they never delivered. I have missed so many deadlines, and I've waited. They'd send me an email saying "we're working on this issue", and put out a new release that fixes a few of the things that I didn't even know about, but it doesn't fix the core issues: the crashing, the login functionality, and the notifications - all of them being big issues. Not only that, but the only way that I've been able to communicate with them is through Basecamp and email. Their phone numbers that are listed on Google, their website, and on Facebook don't link to their company. They ring and they disconnect. I don't know what's going on there, but I've tried for several days. At one point, they stopped communicating with me altogether. I was asking them for my code up until this point because I paid for it. They refused to give it to me. For 2 weeks straight, I sent them 4 requests, and I said to them "it's in our contract that you're supposed to provide me my code". They just stopped responding, so I started calling them. Every number I found for them did not work. Finally, they released the code, but they said they're only giving me the part that I paid for.

How did you come to work with Applaudo Studios?

I was referred to Applaudo by a professional connection. They said they had done a few projects with Applaudo and recommended that I work with them on my project. That's how we ended up hiring them.

How much have you invested with Applaudo Studios?

Up until this point, it's been about $33,000. We set up a fixed-price agreement and outlined everything in the contract that I was requesting. We broke it up into 5 stages and 5 payments. After they delivered each stage, I would make a payment and an advance payment for the next stage. I paid them before they did any work; they delivered on that, and once I signed off on that, I would make another payment in advance on the next stage. The problem was that I think I was a little too nice. When we started reaching stages where things weren't completely working, they would say "we have to go to the next stage to get that fully-functional". I'm not an app developer, so I believed them. When we reached stage 4 and were almost done, nothing was working. It's all falling apart, so I shouldn't have been so trusting and continued to pay them more money.

We started working together about a year ago. We started the contract negotiations around January or February [of 2016]. I have discontinued the relationship with them. They did not submit the app because the quality that they produced was very bad, and they were trying to resolve issues but they didn't know how. The relationship ceased just recently.

How did Applaudo perform from a project management standpoint?

One of their project leads' communication style was that of a professional bully. The other guys communicated very professionally and I had no issues with them, even though they didn't produce. Out of everyone on the team, I just didn't like talking to him. He would subtly threaten me; if I said that we missed a deadline or they didn't include this, he came back saying they included things that I didn't ask for, so they're going to upload a new version of the app to the app store and take all of that stuff out. I would respond saying "I don't know what you're talking about. I don't know of anything that you've included in the app that I hadn't asked for and paid for." It was those kinds of comments and threats that he would make to me over email. It was unprofessional as if he was a professional bully.

Is there anything that you could have done differently?

I feel that I should have qualified them as a company more. When things started to fall apart, I went back to the company who had recommended them to me. He said "To be honest, I've only worked with them on 1-2 small projects, and I haven't worked with them for a few years. I really don't know too much about them." I should've asked more questions up front because then I maybe would have made a different choice.

I don't know if this is something I did wrong, but it's something I'll do differently next time: be very specific and detailed in the contract. There are things and features that I felt were complementary, like a delete function. You post a comment, you should be able to delete it. They said, "No, that's a feature request, and we're going to charge you more money." Every feedback that I gave them was always answered with "more money". From a consulting perspective, I don't think they did a great job. I was looking for them as app developers to give me guidance from a user interface perspective. "This is what you should look to do to make sure that the user has a very easy experience that is intuitive." They didn't seem to care about that. Their concern for me was "we're going to do exactly what you said, and take your money." They weren't concerned about the end-result in my user-base.

1.0
    The cost wasn't bad. It was low, but at the same time, I only got what I paid for, the very basics. It wasn't a good product.

Fan Engagement App for Pro Soccer Team

“These are very professional people.”

Applaudo is developing an application which allows fans to keep on top of the latest updates about a professional soccer club. The app features information such as standings, rosters, and history, among others.

Edmonton, Canada
Carlos Herrera
Community Liaison, FC Edmonton

As a mobile and web developer, Applaudo has all the tools necessary to provide an excellent service. The combination of talented developers, good graphic designers, and capable project managers has allowed the task to flow smoothly throughout the whole process.

FC Edmonton is a professional soccer club. I’m a Community Liaison for the team. My responsibility is to present the team to the community. That’s my primary job here.

What challenge were you trying to address with Applaudo Studios?

Since I worked for Applaudo in the past, I have been part of their team, and I learned about the type of job they did for Fortune 500 companies. While I moved recently to Canada, I’ve been recommending them for other companies. As a customer of theirs now for FC Edmonton, we have discussed with their General Manager a project for developing an app for the club.

In my job with the community, I have the opportunity to meet other people that require services for these type of projects. I have heard very good comments from the people I recommended them to. These are projects that run anything from $30,000 to $50,000 and above.

An app is a way of being in contact with the group of fans. It can supply information regarding the standings, their roster, and the history of the team. The purpose of the app would be maintaining the community or keeping the group of fans informed about the activities that the team does, engaging the fan base.

We had pretty much an idea of what we wanted. The good thing about Applaudo is that they understand their part. They understand the technical part of it and how that translates to develop an app that is user-friendly, with a look and feel that is clear to the users. It’s not only about understanding what we need, but the challenge for any developer is to understand how the work will be translated and how the process of delivering the information that you want is easily digestible for the user. I think Applaudo has a team of not only developers, but executives that really understand. They manage to capture your objectives or your needs, and translate them into a technical development of a nice looking, easy to use, versatile app. That’s what they are strong at.

How did you come to work with Applaudo Studios?

I worked for Applaudo in the past.

How much have you invested with Applaudo Studios?

It’s probably up to $200,000.

We are in the process still; it’s not completed.

Since this is still in the process and we are still discussing all the development within the app, it’s hard to explain the magnitude of the development because it combines the graphic part, the database that we’ll develop, and the interface with the user. They are very strong in every single part. You share with them your needs, and they come back with something that surprises you, even probably better than what you were thinking.

They have good graphic designers who are very professional. Their respect for the timing is also one of their strongest assets in their organization, meaning that if they’re required to put more people in the project, they would do that. I don’t know the details, but I assume that this is a project that would use probably from five to ten people because it’s a lot of hours of development.

How did Applaudo Studios perform from a project management standpoint?

Outstanding. Absolutely outstanding. They’re on top. These are very professional people. These are people that have managed larger projects than ours, for big, huge, Fortune 500 companies in the US. These are people that are very knowledgeable about what they’re doing, so that gives me the confidence to recommend them.

What did you find most impressive about Applaudo Studios?

Their timing. Besides all that I have mentioned, timing is very important in these types of projects because time is very valuable. They go beyond our expectations in terms of putting people to accomplish the timing. Being always available is another strength of theirs. These are people that can work in any language.

Are there any areas Applaudo Studios could improve?

Really, there is nothing that I can think of that they haven’t at least taken care of when needed. Pricing is something that, as a customer, you always try to negotiate in terms of getting it low, but then of course good work has a price. Not always can you get the price that you want as a customer. It’s pricey, but I think it’s worth it.

Overall Score They are excellent, outstanding, and easy to work with. I have a lot of confidence in the job they do.
    You probably get more than what you pay for. They are always looking for new ideas. They do not limit themselves to what you ask them; they will come back with ideas and suggestions for improvement.
    Definitely.

Web and Mobile Development for Digital City Guide

“I don't regret anything about my choice to work with them.”

July 2016 - Ongoing

Applaudo is simultaneously performing web and mobile development for Android and iOS of a travel app. The product will allow users to book accommodations and make travel and leisure plans in featured locations.

El Salvador
Fausto Funes
Founder, Expres Citi

Applaudo performs excellent services on several fields. Besides developing apps, the team is also versed in project management and are able to provide guidance on the best methods to utilize on said projects. Furthermore, they are always available to answer questions about the tasks.

My startup is a travel app and website for tourists called Expres Citi. It will first launch in Mexico. People should be able to know what to do when they arrive in a new city with the help of this app. You will be able to make a travel plan from the app, book accommodations, etc. I want to sell a franchise for the app in each city.

I am the founder.

What challenge were you trying to address with Applaudo Studios?

Applaudo Studios is making the mobile applications and the web platform for my travel website. This is my first internet company, so my original business plan wasn't that great. My plan wasn't as clear before I started with them. The Applaudo team took me by the hand step-by-step and explained everything I didn't understand. After all, I'm not a computer guy - I'm just a businessman. They gave me a lot of suggestions and they knew what to do. It took about ten meetings for me to understand what I really wanted and they had the patience to answer all of my questions. Once I was completely satisfied, we began the actual development work. The relationship has been excellent.

We're currently developing the website and the iOS and Android applications simultaneously. We're developing each version at the same time because I want to launch everything at once.

How did you come to work with Applaudo Studios?

A year ago, I was looking all over the place for app development experts and companies. I searched the internet and looked here in El Salvador, in Guatemala, and in Mexico. I called people who had had apps made by other agencies. Many of the people I called had a lot of trouble with other app development companies. Six months ago, I found Applaudo Studios and gave them a call. I called previous clients of theirs and they were really happy because their apps and platforms all ran smoothly. I met with the team a week after that and started talking about what I wanted. Their offices had a really professional vibe. Everyone was very focused. The owners of Applaudo Studios were professional but also friendly. They taught me the basics of everything.

How much have you invested with Applaudo Studios?

Applaudo Studio's development will cost about $100,000 to $150,000. I plan to spend another $100,000 for marketing.

We started the project two or three weeks ago in July [2016].

I don’t have a final product yet. However, I’m trying to launch the app in Mexico and want to start getting hotels, restaurants, bars, nightclubs, and theaters listed in the app.

How did Applaudo Studios perform from a project management standpoint?

There's been a lot of information that we send each other back-and-forth. They reply instantly whenever I send them information or ask a question. They present new ideas with every response and then we execute. So far, so good. I'm really happy with Applaudo Studio's work.

What did you find most impressive about Applaudo Studios?

The competition charged a little bit less, but the references I called had trouble with their apps. I would pay $20,000 more for the peace of mind that my app is being professionally developed. I don't want to have to deal with any major hiccups.

The best thing about my experience so far is Applaudo Studio's professionalism and knowledge of the latest technologies.

Are there any areas Applaudo Studios could improve?

So far, I'm really happy with the guys at Applaudo Studios. I don't regret anything about my choice to work with them. I think they're doing fantastic.

Overall Score The ride that we've been on has been really enjoyable; no frustration, no stress. Their attitude is very positive.
    They say they're going to deliver on Thursday, and they deliver on Wednesday night.
    Their quality is so great. It is truly valuable.
    I highly recommend them to anyone who needs an app developed.

App Development for Large Beverage Company

"Everything that we have requested up to this point Applaudo Studios has done a great job delivering."

Applaudo Studios developed a pilot mobile app to ease the order-entry process of customers and ensure they received the order they requested. They built it to be similar to Amazon, but on a much smaller level.

Latin America
Head of Commercial Capabilities, Large Beverage Company

Applaudo Studios successfully delivered the mobile application at a competitive price. They provided a very dedicated team that is capable of building great applications.

I work for a division of a very large beverage company. My division is located in Latin America.

I'm in charge of commercial capabilities. This means that I lead the charge when we need to set up new tools or new processes into our commercial processes.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Applaudo Studios?

We were looking for a solution to provide our commercial customers. Specifically, we needed a development partner to build an app to ease the order-entry process and ensure they received the order they requested.

Applaudo Studios provided us an app to be used on smartphones so customers can put their own order in. We wanted something like Amazon, but on a much smaller level.

How did you come to work with Applaudo Studios?

I personally looked for the suppliers. I look in the United States and Canada. Some of the partners we considered we have worked with in the past. We decided on Applaudo Studios because they provided the most customized service. Of the bigger suppliers they have a specific focus on software and platform development.

We worked with Applaudo Studios in the development of our pilot app. We defined the pilot as a $20,000 project because we wanted to test and corroborate the process. We are expecting to deploy the app fully in the following years.

This project is still ongoing.

How did Applaudo Studios perform from a project management standpoint?

In my opinion, they're doing a great job.

What distinguishes Applaudo Studios from other providers?

I have worked with many suppliers in the field and I can tell you that Applaudo Studios provides a very dedicated team that is capable of building great applications. Their director of operations [Jose Giammattei] was very good about following up with every aspect of the project.

Is there anything Applaudo Studios could have improved or done differently?

Everything that we have requested up to this point Applaudo Studios has done a great job delivering . However, there may be some challenging phases in the future.

Overall Score We still have things to complete.
    We haven't completed the project but compared to their competitors they provided a very competitive price.

Team Augmentation for MaaS Provider

“Our relationship continues to grow.”

2013 - Ongoing

Applaudo Studios is providing support as a staff augmentation team, performing functions such as design, development, and tech writing of various applications.

Austin, Texas
Executive VP of Global Operations, MaaS Company

Applaudo has been providing their services for 2 years, assisting in various development cycles. Their success can be attributed to the team’s strong leadership, along with their availability to discuss relevant matters at all times and their responsiveness when it comes to solving issues.

We're a multiscreen as a service company. We design, write, and build software for some of the biggest brands around the world.

I'm the executive vice president of global operations and product.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Applaudo Studios?

We needed to have a more flexible development process. We used Applaudo as staff augmentation. As we get into peak times, we need to use them to help and fill development gaps. There's some core skill sets that they fill in when we have.

Applaudo has done anything from development, design, and tech writing for us.

How did you come to work with Applaudo Studios?

We had partnerships in India and the Philippines and quality was similar, but time zone was painful. So having a high-quality partner in the same or similar time zone was a game changer for us.

We've been working with Applaudo for two years, on an annual basis we spend about $200,000-plus

The biggest sign of success of a partnership like this is seeing the mutual value grow and the value has grown. During the last two years, Applaudo's value to us has significantly grown as I think our value to them has also grown. Our relationship continues to grow.

What distinguishes Applaudo Studios from other providers?

Applaudo Studios's leadership team is very strong and responsive. Any time we've had challenges with a new hire or existing team member, they've been very responsive in solving the problem.

Is there anything Applaudo Studios could have improved or done differently?

I'd like Applaudo to have a deeper bench, so they can react more quickly. I think they're becoming even more successful – the growth of their bench is the benefit of that.