Human friendly app development

App Sapiens is a team of expert software developers and technologists headquartered in the UK. We create cutting edge mobile and web apps with React, React Native and Expo. Clients work with us when they need a service that is responsive, flexible and affordable. We charge by the hour with no minimum commitment and can scale up or down quickly to meet the fast pace of modern businesses.

2019
Reading, United Kingdom
  • 76 Norton Road
    Reading, BRK RG1 3QJ

PivoTrac Monitoring, Are.na, Ownable

Mobie App Dev for Visual Organization Tool

"They are so present and clear whenever I speak to them, and their organization strategies go a long way."

Sept. 2019 - Ongoing

App Sapiens has helped port an iOS app to Android. They've also implemented new features and consulted on internal processes.

Charles Broskoski
CEO, Are.na

While the app hasn't launched, internal tests yield seamless results. A new feature, which has been released, garnered positive feedback. It's been a smooth collaboration complimented by App Sapien's responsiveness, efficient workflow, and reliability.

Are.na is a visual organization tool designed to help you think and create. It lets you build simple collections of content by adding links and files of any kind. Connect ideas with other people by collaborating privately or building public collections for everyone. With no ads, likes, or recommendations, Are.na is a more mindful space where you can work through any project over time. It's a place to structure your ideas and build new forms of knowledge together. I am one of the co-founders and the CEO of Are.na.

For what projects/services did your company hire App Sapiens?

We hired App Sapiens to help port our iOS app to Android, as well as upgrade our internal dependencies and add new features.

Initially our goals were just to replicate the functionality of our iOS app to Android. We have a ton of people who use Are.na on Androids, and we'd love to provide them a better experience. However, after working with Charles and Tom for even a short while, it made sense to keep working together in an ongoing capacity.

We initially put out a call for applicants on the Expo slack. Charles and Tom immediately stood out with their straightforward and helpful communication style. Tom presented their company to us, described the way they worked and there really wasn't much deliberation. After talking to them on a video conference call, we made the decision to work with them right away.

We started out with a straightforward port from an iOS app built on React Native and Expo to Android. Prior to that work, Charles and Tom identified some recommended work that would help bring our dependencies up to date and provide a better experience for developers working in this project.

That work happened very quickly, and once it came time to move on to developing the Android app, they worked super quickly. To this day, we are still working with Tom and Charles on developing new features and implementing improvements.

Primarily Tom and Charles, with the additional help of another developer that they hired later.

We are on the cusp of launching the Android app, but so far internal tests have gone without a hitch. We released another feature that they developed (dark mode) and got nothing but positive feedback.

Perfect. We have a weekly call and a shared Trello board. Communicative but not at all overbearing. Whenever we have an issue, they respond immediately.

Honestly, Charles and Tom make me want to step up my communication game. They are so present and clear whenever I speak to them, and their organization strategies go a long way. I would unhesitatingly recommend them to anyone.

They should charge more :)

App Dev for Agricultural Device Company

"Their focus was on doing what we wanted to see happen."

Jul. 2019 - Ongoing

App Sapiens built an iOS and Android app. Working from an initial coding project, they rebuilt the codebase, improved databases, and redesigned the UI. They continue to add new functionalities to the app.

Dalhart, Texas
Shawn Bright
Lead Programmer, Pivotrac Monitoring

The vendor successfully refined the app and brought it to a timely release. The app has gotten great feedback from customers and is a huge improvement over the initial version. Their team was very easy to work with and always communicative.

I’m the main programmer with a company local to Dalhart, Texas called PivoTrac Monitoring. We place telemetry devices on irrigation equipment like sprinkler pivots, wells, and engines. These devices enable farmers to look up the condition of their sprinkler circles through a website, send out commands, and receive notifications when equipment fails or changes its status. I do all of the computer, website software, and database work in the company.

What challenge were you trying to address with App Sapiens?

About a year ago, I started making a mobile app for our company because we thought a mobile app was necessary. While we had a responsive website, it didn’t provide the functionalities we wanted our customers to have. I started looking into building Android and iOS applications with React Native.

After six months to a year of working on this project off and on, I just didn’t have the time to make the app into what we wanted it to be with our company growing the way it was. I could put something out there, but it wouldn’t be what we really wanted for our customers. I just didn’t have the time to do the research for the quality product I wanted, so I looked for a third-party developer.

I had written this code over the course of about a year, as I was learning it. Thus, a lot of it was not built very well.

When I first engaged App Sapiens’ services, I gave my source code to them and they made some changes to what I had as a demo of what they could do. I liked the result, so I engaged their services to take over what I’d done.

They took all the code I wrote and basically started a new project. They used the same logic mine to talk to our API server and get results and logins, but they redesigned everything else. They rebuilt the app from scratch using better libraries, a more consistent codebase, and cleaner code. Both iOS and Android versions were made at the same time, using React Native and native libraries.

They also redesigned the entire UI. App Sapiens is a very specialized team. They took some problems I had with the app’s navigation, and rebuilt all of it, making it very simple, clean, much more intuitive to the user, and easier to navigate and figure out. It’s just a friendlier interface between our clients and our servers.

There were two people working with me in the beginning, and they assigned another after I specifically asked for help with some backend server code. He had more of a background in Node.js servers and gave me some help there.

I’ve been talking to two main contacts, the lead programmer and the CEO. They share coding tasks, and I’ve been relating to them equally.

How did you come to work with App Sapiens?

At the time, I was looking for help, but not hired help. I had previously worked with contractors, and I contacted half a dozen companies and explored lots of websites. I’ve worked with my company for 13 years, and I’d been the only programmer there.

I was looking for help to get by a couple of technical issues with some places where I got stuck, and I contacted one of the members of App Sapiens about a month ago, asking him to help me out. Programmers frequent forums and help each other out. I asked him if he’d be interested in doing more work, and he told me he was part of a company called App Sapiens, and directed me to contact them. I sent them some information about what I was looking for, and they offered to take on the project.

The threshold of bringing a programmer I didn’t know on was a difficult one for me to cross. I looked for help simply because I had too much to do than time to do it. I’d spoken to a few companies and freelance programmers a few months before I found App Sapiens.

When I found their programmer on a forum, we’d gotten to the point where I convinced my boss that I needed some help to do this. Originally, I was just going to hire someone to help me with the UI.

I believe I first talked to Charles (CTO, App Sapiens), but it might’ve been Tom (CEO, App Sapiens). After I’d tried them out and saw how efficiently they could do it and how engaged they were with me about it, I was put over the edge and had them do it all.

We invested $5,000–$6,000.

We started working with App Sapiens around a month and a half ago, in early-July 2019. I have a year’s worth of projects that App Sapiens could take on. We released the app because we needed to get something that at least covered the basic functionalities of what we do. However, we have more planned for the app.

They’ve developed the first version of the app, and we’ve released it to very good feedback from customers. We’ve had 4–5 times more installs than I anticipated over the last week. We let some of our more enthusiastic clients test the app, and it spread by word of mouth from there. They built it like an app made for themselves, and it was night and day from what I had.

It’s a tremendous improvement over what I had written, but there are many more functionalities we want to build into the app.

How did App Sapiens perform from a project management standpoint?

They performed excellently. What we do is specific to the agricultural industry, and to farming equipment and mechanics. I had to explain to them why this or that was important, basically making this area on industry digestible to people who sit in front of computers and write software. I had several conference calls with App Sapiens, and I wrote some of my own documentation to explain to them what was valuable to the person working on a machine in the middle of nowhere, trying to get it to water correctly. They were able to readily capture that and present it the way we wanted.

After I explained what I wanted, they were very easy to work with. I could talk from the standpoint of a programmer, but not of a team programmer, and tell them what I needed help with. They were willing to help at whatever level I wanted to engage them. This went from advice or a patch of code here and there, to redesigning everything.

We shared a Bitbucket code repository. Whenever they made a pull request, I was able to look at their code and see what they’re doing, as they’re doing it. We set things up on a Trello board, which allowed us to prioritize tasks during conference calls. They’ve been very willing to communicate. I’m constantly on a Slack board with them and I can review their code anytime, along with what projects they’re working on and what their estimates for particular items are. They’re on-hand, and I’ve never had to wait for any feedback from them.

We have a conference call once a week, to make sure we’re all on the same page about what’s important and what needs to happen. We’re on opposite sides of the planet, but I’ve never had to wait long for anything, either in terms of pushing a change or completely redirecting how something’s going. They’ve been able to very rapidly respond to what I would perceive to be major changes, while this was being developed, and that aspect’s been very valuable to us.

App Sapiens isn’t just about writing software or making a good app. They had an attitude of being on top of what we wanted most. They wanted to make what our vision of this was, come to pass. Nothing intimidated them about any of the projects I wanted to do. They were aggressive about researching libraries, and they were knowledgeable and professional. Their focus was on doing what we wanted to see happen.

They make suggestions, many of which we’ve incorporated into the app. They know user interfaces, and they know a lot about what’s available.

No. I’ve had zero issues with them.

It’s important to present all the information about the project upfront. Clients should describe everything they want from the outcome, why it’s important, and why a certain feature should have precedence over another one, including from the point of view of the end-user.

In industries like ours especially, there aren’t many companies doing what we do, and there’s not a whole lot to build and learn from. We had to explain an almost unique concept, and lay everything out for App Sapiens to assemble the resources they knew they were going to need to pull it off. They did pull it off.

They let me know ahead of time how much each project was expected to take, and they stayed well under the estimates.
    As long as it doesn’t take time or attention away from our projects.

Expo.io Troubleshooting & Bug Fixes for Mobile App

"...they acted with professionalism and showed problem-solving skills that spoke well of them overall."

Aug. 2019

App Sapiens joined a mobile app development project to resolve a complex notification prompting problem. They reviewed the code, identified the pain points, and troubleshot the issues.

Jerusalem, Israel
Yitz Jacob
CEO, Pivotal-solutions.co.il

By taking on a time-consuming process, App Sapiens enabled the internal team to continue working on the remaining features and finish the project on schedule. They also gave advice on how to avoid future mistakes and fix issues without compromising previous versions of the system.

I run a web/mobile app development firm, we develop all manner of solutions based on various frameworks, node, mongo, angular, php, mysql, react, expo, ionic, etc. Every project is custom tailored to the needs and specs of the client.

For what projects/services did your company hire App Sapiens?

We have a mobile project (developed in Expo.io) that was nearing completion but we ran into a problem with notifications not working on certain platforms and after debugging for days, I realized we could benefit from some expert advice from an experienced software house.

We needed to deliver the project with notifications working smoothly as notifications were an essential feature of the app, without it, the app was all but pointless. Our goal in hiring App Sapiens, was to outsource solving this difficult and time-consuming problem so we could continue to progress and complete the remaining features to get the project finished on time.

App Sapiens offered to help when we asked questions on one of the Expo development forums and after speaking with them for a while, they seemed like a good match for what was needed.

The project required getting user feedback at regular intervals based on the user's past history of using the app, without notifications prompting users at the precise times we needed them to provide feedback the app couldn't function. The iOS app wasn't sending notifications correctly and so, the users were unable to test and use the app. We hired App Sapiens, to review the app and all related notifications code, to troubleshoot and debug the pain points that were causing these issues.

The team was made up of two expo developers.

They were able to effectively troubleshoot and solve all of our notification-related issues. In addition they made sure to apprise us of our situation and how best to prevent similar errors in the future, including how to safely ship the fixes without impacting previous working versions of the system.

They were amazingly accessible, responding via email, whatsapp and eventually creating a shared slack channel where we could syncronize and work in tandem to confirm the solution and resolve all remaining issues.

They were willing to make themselves available to me despite scheduling conflicts and time differences, such that they ended up working over the weekend in order to allow us to meet our deadline with our clients. I really appreciated how accomodating both Tom and Charles were.

I look forward to working with them in the future on larger projects to be able to identify these kinds of issues, but at this time I didn't run into any friction that would've suggested how to improve working with them.

Overall Score My experience is limited to this project, however, they acted with professionalism and showed problem-solving skills that spoke well of them overall.
    Despite initially not having time to work on our schedule, they worked over the weekend to fit us into their schedule.
    Good work is worth good money
    Even though we compete in some areas, clients that aren't a good fit for us may be a good fit for them and I'd recommend them with confidence.