Software Development and Design Company

From strategic guidance to custom design and development work, we will be your wise friend to ensure your project is a success.

We bring mobile and web projects to life.

Mobile Apps

Alvin develops apps for mobile phones and tablets — iOS, Android. We’ll help you pick the right tech and launch a breakout mobile product or hard-working internal tool.

Web Apps

Web apps let users make accounts, submit and access data, run calculations — whatever you need. Alvin develops custom web apps that also work beautifully on tablets and phones.

Freelancer
Folsom, CA

Neemo, Quiks, Actiview

Android App Dev for Accessibility Tech Firm

"They had an innate ability to look at problems, ask the right questions, and address them properly."

Feb. 2018 - June 2018

Alvin developed an Android app and redesigned a website, making them accessible to deaf or blind users. The app utilizes audio synchronization technology, and the website is built using django CMS.

Alex Koren
Founder & CEO, Actiview, Inc.

The app has undergone successful testing, and reviews of the website have been positive. Communication was fluid, and Alvin’s skilled team was accessible at all times. They made the product’s success a priority and offered valuable contributions to its development.

I'm the founder of Actiview. We create accessibility technology for the deaf, the blind, and foreign language speakers to enjoy movies and entertainment in theaters and in their own home.

What challenge were you trying to address with Alvin?

We worked with them on the Android version of our application. We have the in-house capability to build iOS apps, but we had no Android experience. We had very specific requests for how we wanted it to look on the Android platform.

They also helped with the redesign of our website.

The most important part was making the app accessible to deaf and blind users. There's a specific way to make it accessible to those users and a way of speaking the interface to them. The Alvin team was really capable of making that happen. Our app uses specific audio synchronization technology that we designed in-house. That technology not only listens to the movie and figures out which movie you're watching, but it figures out where in the movie you are so it can synchronize your closed captions and audio tracks of different languages.

After we finished the Android app, we were looking to redesign our website. Alvin said they offered those services as well. They provided us with a quote, and we accepted it. That site is built using django CMS. The owner conducted the entire redesign himself. He provided us with drawn and digital wireframes with the HTML. He made it available on django CMS once we gave him access to our AWS server to load all the assets.

The owner was our main contact. Everything from billing to the development cycle went through him. In addition to doing the web development himself, we were in touch with the owner for most other projects. We also had an Android developer and a designer.

How did you come to work with Alvin?

We put a listing on LinkedIn looking for an Android developer, and Alvin’s owner messaged us to say he would have the capabilities to build it. We interviewed about five other individuals and firms. The cost was too high for some of the bigger firms. And I didn’t have enough faith in the individuals we met with to think that I would receive a finished and quality product. Alvin had the best documentation and price point, so they were selected.

We’ve spent around $25,000 on all services.

Our Android development spanned February through April 2018. The web project began right after in April and was completed in June 2018.

The Android app is currently undergoing testing. We have some rigorous security requirements for the technology we create, especially around the Hollywood studios who distribute content through us. The app is going through testing with them, and by all regards so far, that's going well. From a website perspective, it needed to be accessible by blind users as well as be very consumable by anyone going to the site, and we've only had positive feedback from it so far. We're very happy with how it's all come together.

How did Alvin perform from a project management standpoint?

Their team was easily accessible for any specific problem. The owner was always online and offered quick responses. We held calls with the owner and the developer at times, as well as one-on-one calls with them depending on what we needed to be accomplished. We were always able to speak with the correct person whenever necessary. They clearly made us a priority.

We used Slack for quick communications, email for longer updates, and Dropbox for assets that needed to be shared back and forth.

They had an innate ability to look at problems, ask the right questions, and address them properly. I don't know many engineers who could do that as well as they did.

I feared that there might be language barriers because the Android developer worked overseas, but we had no such trouble. We had easy conversations. It was nothing short of fluent.

Everything was done on time, but having more day-to-day benchmarks would have been welcomed. That said, we weren’t lacking in communication in any way.

They were people that could execute the ideas that I had, but they could also ideate with us. We found it valuable to trust them and let them be additive to the cycle of building a product.

We had quotes five or 10 times more than what we were charged. Alvin was very reasonable and provided great work.
    Everything was completed the way we imagined it would be.
    I wish more friends knew about them because they are that capable.

API for SMS Provider

"He was just such a fantastic developer that I didn’t feel the need to work with anybody else."

Sep. 2011 - Ongoing

Yurii Sekretar Software essentially led all platform concepting and development, aside from initial ideas and guidelines. They continue to help build the bulk SMS platform to reach a more global audience.

51- 200 Employees

Ukraine
Yiannakis Varanavas
Cofounder, Innovative Media Solutions

Yurii efficiently produces high-quality work, and the platform continues to grow. They’re proactive, creative, versatile, and have an inspiring team spirit. Yurii never fails to address concerns in a timely manner; they are genuine, cooperative, adaptable, and overall a joy to work with.

My organization is based in Kiev, Ukraine. It’s called Innovative Media Solutions, LLC. I formed this company around 2011; we have a lot of clients in Ukraine.

What challenge were you trying to address with Yurii Sekretar Software?

I had the idea to create this bulk SMS platform. Yurii is the main freelancer and contractor who built and supported the system, and he is still supporting it now, helping us further develop the whole platform.

I was brainstorming and working with Yurii when I had this idea. Yurii was really putting down everything that we discussed, and he had his own ideas as well. Basically, it was his development. I was giving the guidelines and some ideas, but Yurii was perfecting them in some way and putting his own feedback into the project. He was making everything work and being efficient. He is familiar with a very wide range of technologies.

Yurii was the main developer and he is working with another person, Anton Sydorenko. They have a very beautiful team spirit. He inspired Anton. When they work together, it’s fantastic.

How did you come to work with Yurii Sekretar Software?

Because I have activities in Ukraine and I started to make this project, I looked around and asked people. I don’t exactly remember where I found him. From the beginning, you can understand if somebody is talented or great in one direction, or with one technology or technique. Yurii was one of the first developers I came across. He was just such a fantastic developer that I didn’t feel the need to work with anybody else. The fact is that he was very versatile, not just talented in only one direction. When we need to do something different, he always finds a way.

I spent between $135,000 and $140,000. Depending on the work, I pay $1,000–$5,000 per month.

I started working with him in 2011. The project took half a year. I’m continuing to develop the platform further. I even have ideas to take it more global, because at the moment it’s serving the market of Ukraine.

Yurii is a brilliant programmer. He does very efficient, very correct work. The system is working very nicely. The platform keeps growing. Every day we have more users, more SMS, and more trendings.

How did Yurii Sekretar Software perform from a project management standpoint?

In project management, he is working very, very well. I’m very pleased with the way he is working. He is very good at coordinating, because he works with some other people under him in this project. He is coordinating them in a very nice and efficient way. Above all, he inspires the team spirit. He sets milestones and works to accomplish them.

Our communication is mainly on Skype and various instant messengers. Yurii is always there, unless he is sleeping. He is there all the time to solve problems and fix bugs. He’s never failed me, not even once. He’s fantastic.

He does everything in a great way. I have come across a lot of programmers, a lot of talent in other areas; Yurii is unique. He is, I could say, one in a million.

I never had any complaints with anything he’s done. I know what I said sounds very perfect, but it’s the truth. I cannot lie.

Do you have any advice for potential clients?

Whoever works with Yurii will have a good relationship with him as a person because above all, in business and in life, he is a good person, with a good character, and he is accurate and cooperative. Just communicate with him; give him tasks, and he will accomplish them.

I would very strongly recommend him. They would be lucky to work with him.