analytics with clarity and insight

Dean Abbott is President of Abbott Analytics, Inc. in San Diego, California. Mr.

Abbott is an internationally recognized data mining and predictive analytics expert with over two decades experience applying advanced data mining algorithms, data preparation techniques, and data visualization methods to real-world problems, including fraud detection, risk modeling, text mining, personality assessment, response modeling, survey analysis, planned giving, and predictive toxicology. He is also Chief Scientist of SmarterRemarketer, a startup company focusing on behaviorally- and data-driven marketing attribution and web analytics.

1999
San Diego, CA
Headquarters
  • Abbott Analytics
    3298 Governor Drive, #22536
    San Diego, CA 92122
    858.922.9621

Prediction Modeling for Analytics Firm Survey

"I’ve worked with some top people in machine learning and predictive analytics. Dean is [Principle of Abbott Analytics] in my top three."

Professionalism:

2003 - Ongoing

The client hired Abbott Analytics to assist with a variety of projects which included work on an ad hoc analysis, predictive modeling, and an exploratory data analysis.

Tampa, FL
CEO, Boutique Data Service Firm

Abbott Analytics is a reliable and valuable partner. The agency performs well by consistently delivering quality work and contributing to successful projects. The client praises Abbott Analytics for their efficiency and creativity.

Could you briefly describe your company?

We’re a research and analytics company. We do survey research. We conduct geospatial analytics, predictive modeling and data mining. What distinguishes us is our focus on repeatable projects. We try to capture rather than do a lot of ad-hoc work or one-off types of custom work.

We have 11 employees. We are a small, boutique firm.

What is your role and responsibilities?

I’m the founder, CEO and principal owner.

What business challenge were you trying to address when initiating the project with Abbott Analytics?

I began working with Dean Abbott [Abbott’s Principal] around 2003 or 2004. It’s been a remarkable collaboration that has been productive and enjoyable. We have done various kinds of work starting with ad-hoc analysis. We had done many surveys for an organization and we wanted to look for patterns and see if we could understand the possible structure of the data.

We did these types of projects in 2005. It involved exploratory data analysis and some predictive modeling. It involved some simulation in order to estimate the importance weights of various factors, which was a very difficult thing to do in surveys. Dean and I presented our joint-work at Predictive Analytics World.

I’m a social scientist, a PhD, but I’m not a brilliant mathematician like Dean. More recently, we looked at a difference in much larger data sets and did some scale creation and index creation. That work involved more data mining and predictive modeling around survey data.

How did you select Abbott Analytics as your solution partner?

He was referred to us by a colleague that I respect a lot, another machine-learning expert. Dean and his team are spectacular. Dean is unbelievably fluent and fast. It’s quite an exhilarating experience to work with him.

Since he’s so fast, he’s also very efficient. That makes him different from most of the experts in this field who tend to be more plodding. He never skips important steps, but he gets there faster than most people. He’s really a spectacular talent.

Could you give us a sense of the size of the iniative?

Our work now involves a data set of over 200,000 survey responses. A data set of 200,000 transactions is small. A data set of 200,000 survey responses, each response being 55 items, is huge. It’s an enormous survey data set and indicates that Abbott Analytics can take on huge, challenging jobs.

I cannot recommend him enough. I’ve worked with some top people in machine learning and predictive analytics. Dean is [Principle of Abbott Analytics] in my top three. He’s incredibly smart, efficient and creative.

Do you have metrics to track improvement?

I don’t have an ROI figure. I haven’t thought about it that way. On the strength of the work that we’ve done, the results are getting tremendous play nationally. It's been in large measure because of the good work that Abbott has done.

Several academic psychologists have asked to examine our work with Abbott Analytics. We’re not academic, we’re commercial. That kind of respect proves it’s very fine work and done with great style and great efficiency.

Is there any area that you think he could improve upon or you would do differently as the client before approaching a project of this nature?

I suggest being very careful to make sure to document findings along the way. They are terrific at keeping track of data and keeping track of files and old models and iterations. However, take notes and stay on top of the work because it goes by real fast.

That’s the downside of working with somebody who’s that fluent. You’re building models the same day that you sit down and discuss the challenge. That’s not the way a lot of people proceed. It’s a matter of style.

Prediction Analytics for Military Recruitment

"I think they [Abbott Analytics] are very knowledgeable, very cooperative and humble."

Professionalism:

The client hired Abbott Analytics for assistance with a variety of statistical projects. The agency primarily worked with the SPSS Data Modeler and IBM Modeler.

Large enterprise

San Diego Bay Area
Operations Research Manager, Military

Abbott Analytics performed well as the client’s partner by consistently delivering quality work and contributing to a successful project. The client praises Abbott Analytics for their professionalism and highly recommends the agency to others.

Could you give me a brief description of your organization?

I was working for military organizations.

Can you describe your role and responsibilities?

I was the Operations Research Director. I was responsible for a variety of quantifiable studies relating to Naval Special Warfare Personnel.

For the work that Abbott did with you, what the business challenge or goal that you were trying to achieve?

We worked on a variety of statistical projects. The primary one was trying to predict who would successfully complete BUD/S, the basic SEAL training. We wanted to determine predictive factors to help us do better targeted recruiting.

Can you tell me a bit about the scope of the work that they did for you?

He worked primarily with the SPSS Data Modeler. Abbott Analytics was supportive for a lot of the analysis and some of the statistical tests that we did. While Dean[Principle] was working with us, he helped us learn more about IBM Modeler.

Can you give us a sense of the size of that initiative in personnel work hours?

I believe we had one person work half-time for about two years.

When was the project completed?

What we did was we produced a summary of results and some recommendations based on the analysis for managing the growth of the force and guidance for contract offerings. This was in early 2012.

Has IBM Modeler been a good fit for your organization?

Yes, it has been very helpful. Having all the methodologies so readily available is really good. You can conduct different analyses using different techniques to verify that the results are similar.

How did Abbott Analytics perform during that work?

He was very professional and gave 100 percent and was very cooperative. They are very pleasant to work with.

Were the results of that project successful?

It modified the contract offering process and helped quantify the end strength numbers for the force.

What’s unique or special about Abbott Analytics compared to some other vendors encountered in this space?

I think they are very knowledgeable, very cooperative and humble. Their small team is easy to work with and knows a lot. They are willing to try new things. Dean is very flexible.

Is there any area that you think Abott could improve upon or maybe you would do differently?

No. I wouldn’t hesitate to hire him back. I highly recommend their firm.

They are not perfect but pretty good.
    I highly recommend the company to others who need the same assistance.