Initially, we were going to do it internally, but it quickly overwhelmed our staff. We found AB Mobile Apps after an internal recommendation. They scoped out the project with us then did market research and testing for design with a user interaction study to streamline the application.
After they completed the wireframes, they sent us several designs to discuss internally. The designs came from the data they had gathered. We made a few minor tweaks, but the designs were really strong.
AB Mobile Apps subsequently built the Android version of the application. They allowed us to test it and make revisions. After approving the Android version, they finished the iOS version.
We had an internal database using IBM software, but our internal department had a hard time getting any of the information out of the program. AB built a Web backend working with our internal team. This allowed us to upload and export the data we needed. The key criteria for us were ease of access to the information on the go and being able to export that information as needed. We needed the app to work on many devices and standardize how we were going to implement it across various areas.
The main criteria for selecting AB Mobile Apps were capabilities, knowledge, lead time, and cost. We talked to several companies but found it hard to locate a company that had the knowledge and capability, responsiveness and ability to solve our implementation problem.
The project was a large hassle for my company. After the internal recommendation, we reached out to AB and received a call the same day. The next day, we had a two-hour-long meeting, and they gave some pretty good action steps. The main thing that set them apart was that they took control and helped us complete the project on time without bugs. They also provided clear action steps along the way. I really enjoyed working with them.
We envisioned it as a simple app and thought we just needed a developer. After working with AB Mobile Apps, we had a better idea of what we could do, and the application expanded. They eventually took control of the whole process to the point that we had them build the Web backend for our analytics system as well. They eventually did the wireframe, design, development, backend creation, and some of the analytics.
The project cost more than $100,000 and was completed in November of 2013.