Website, Mobile App & Software Development

17 Web Dev is a web, mobile app & software development agency. We develop full-stack websites, mobile apps, and native applications, working with clients from concept to production. We research and advise clients on the best-suited frameworks and software stacks for each project. We make sure to update and maintain websites with modern web standards and practices.

Jersey City, NJ
  • 1 Journal Square Plaza
    Jersey City, NJ 07306
  • United States

Web Development for Environmental Nonprofit

"Trusting (17 Web Dev) was one of the best things I've ever done for my company."

June 2018 - Ongoing

17 Web Dev is building a web-based subscription and rewards program using React.js, Node.js, and Google Firebase. The site integrates with Shopify and credit card processors.

Founder, Environmental Nonprofit

Despite a few setbacks and limitations, the team has made tremendous progress. 17 Web Dev excells at building reliable solutions and solving complex problems. Their proactive management, straightforward and clear communication, and passion for the project are valuable assets.

I’m the executive director and founder of a nonprofit that uses a subscription model to negate carbon footprints.

What challenge were you trying to address with 17 Web Dev?

I contracted them to build our website. Rather than a tacky WordPress site with plug-ins, James (CEO & Head of Operations, 17 Web Dev) promised a robust system.

17 Web Dev is building a web application with a React.js frontend, a Node.js backend, and a Google Firebase database for scaling. Beyond creating an ordinary page, they built a customer reward points system that integrates with our credit card processor and triggers points after confirming payment. 17 Web Dev basically created a subscription program.

They also integrated the system with the Shopify API. Using Webhooks, they added products to our rewards program, connected them to individual user profiles, and built a backend database for registered accounts. Our users can track how many trees we've planted for them and what carbon impact they’ve had. We’re launching in the next two or three months. They’ve finished the MVP and will keep it as robust as possible.

How did you come to work with 17 Web Dev?

I found James through a simple internet search. I had a limited budget, so I wanted an affordable, local partner who I could meet face-to-face. A local partnership was also a huge benefit for James because it helped him explain things better. A lot of people can say “yes” on the phone, but it’s hard to fake when you're sitting together.

James explained everything. I went through many developers to find someone who could do that. Even before we discussed pricing, he understood my goal. He wanted to give me the best representation, rather than wasting his time on a client who didn’t understand his services. That was refreshing.

Few entrepreneurs are successful, but James vets clients to determine that they’re serious. He ensured that I completely understood my plan. He didn't constantly sell himself; our conversation went both ways. He was willing to work with me and passionate about my idea.

I’ve paid them $20,000 so far. I pay commission for the ongoing work, but set a minimum payment. Our payment schedule varies depending on how much work they do. We might work for a full month, then hold until we have more money. We paid for an extra two months of a la carte development, but I've never felt duped or misled.

The project has evolved as we built and gone in a different direction than the original contract. The project is a long-term collaboration for updating the site, adding content, and tweaking the system. James is as fluid, amenable, and transparent as possible.

I’ve attempted other internet businesses in the past, but not at this scale. James is instrumental in identifying our limitations and horizons. We knew we’d encounter limitations, so I needed someone who could understand my idea and step back from the technological limitations I imposed on myself.

I thought we were going back to the drawing board at one point. We planned to use a Shopify site, but James exposed a monkey wrench. He handled things well, leaned on his developers, and delivered a working demo I didn’t expect for another three months.

How did 17 Web Dev perform from a project management standpoint?

They do everything they can, but I don't like their Teamwork project management software. I'm not enthusiastic about staying up to date with it, which is a pain for them. Our communication is still excellent, and I give them top marks for project management and teamwork. They invited us into the project and were totally transparent about development and deadlines.

James tackles all projects in the same way and always strives to do better. During whiteboarding sessions with his development team, they created a main solution and two backups to use when the first one inevitably failed. He lays everything out and makes it seem almost easy. It's a simple, robust approach.

James builds valuable products. He doesn't create as many websites as possible while outsourcing work to engineers in India. Instead, he pursues high-quality projects and fantastic ideas.

His transparency also eliminates huge issues. I entered this project with certain expectations and stated some preconceptions as facts. James didn’t realize how ignorant I was, but he dealt with it.

I see James as my co-founder, but I couldn’t pay him his worth if he were an employee. We wouldn't have anything without the system and infrastructure he built. Trusting him was one of the best things I've ever done for my company. He’s a great partner at every step.

My only comment is that his first facilities weren’t up to par. He opened his offices during my tenure, and they’re beautiful now.

Overall Score James wants to work on cool projects and mirrors my enthusiasm in a genuine way.
    Even when a task isn't completely ready, he sticks to timelines.
    I’d give them a six.
    To deliver on our schedule, quality sometimes takes a hit.
    This is a trick question, because I want them all to myself.